• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: Oh no they haven't...

B5LR

Regular
News post: Oh no they haven\'t...

<font size="+1">Oh no they haven't...</font>
<font size="3">CHUM doesn't yet have B5LR telemovie rights</font>

Contrary to our news report two days ago, we're afraid to report that CHUM does not in fact have the rights to the B5LR telemovie.

Although we normally check news for authenticity, in this case it seemed that the news could be taken at face value when it did the rounds. However, this just proves us wrong. How the false news started is unknown.

In an automated response to people emailing them, the Space Channel states, "Despite rumours, SPACE: The Imagination Station has not YET aquired the new Babylon 5 movie.. We ARE working on it and we will keep you posted when and if we do. Emails regarding this movie will not be returned at this time. Please check our website for future announcements."

Although disappointing, as the message says they are working on the rights. It may just take a while for proper confirmation to come through. We'll keep you posted.

We're sorry for any confusion caused.

Thank you to Andrew Hatch.

Re: News post: Oh no they haven\'t...

As an American, I'd like to take this opportunity to address the Canadian readers:

nyeh-nyeh-nyeh-nyeh-nyeh
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

laugh.gif

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Simply put, that sucks.
mad.gif

Eagerly awaiting updates on the B5:LR world takeover.
wink.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Actually Ro, my reaction was a little less ladylike.
mad.gif

------------------
"No boom to-day, boom tomorrow.
There is always a boom tomorrow."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kochia:
Actually Ro, my reaction was a little less ladylike.
mad.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A reaction I can certainly appreciate.
frown.gif
Hopefully the confirmation of good news is not too far away.

Ro

------------------

Of course I'm disappointed that it's not a done deal but I'm sure it will come about in time. Also we have recently acquired two new Canadian networks which are carrying quite a bit of science fiction programming between them (like Dark Angel, Andromeda, Enterprise, Buffy, etc.etc. so it's quite possible one of those networks might also be in the market for it and also for Jeremiah).

BTW I should think US viewers would be happy to know the program is being sold to foreign markets because the bigger the sales the better chance of a series.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Well, this US viewer is very happy about it indeed, for a multitude of reasons.
laugh.gif

Ro

------------------

Just because SPACE does not have the rights, does not necessarily mean CHUM didn't buy them. SPACE does not get to air any new material CHUM aquires, first, CityTV usually gets that honor.

All the above tells us that the SPACE channel doesn't have the B5:LOTR yet. It says nothing about other CHUM stations (with higher priority, if there's such a thing in TV trade). So don't give up hope just yet!

------------------
"I walk, i shop, i sneeze. I'll be a fireman when the floods roll back. There's trees in the desert since you moved out ... and i don't sleep on a bed of bones."

"I walk, i shop, i sneeze. I'll be a fireman when
the floods roll back. There's trees in the desert
since you moved out ... and i don't sleep on a bed
of bones."

Triggerhapy, please tell me where this quotation originates. I am intrigued.
shocked.gif

------------------

Well, that stinks. I hope that Canada, & also other non-US countries, get to see Rangers soon. The more viewers worldwide, the better a chance for a series.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The more viewers worldwide, the better a chance for a series.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know why everyone assumes this. This isn't one of those independently financed, multination deals, pre-sold to stations in several countries ala Highlander.

Warner Bros. has produced the movie for The Sci-Fi Channel. SFC will make the decision on whether or not they want the series, and they will do that based strictly on the show's appeal in the U.S.. Unless they have an ownership stake in the series (unlikely given Warner Bros. approach to such things) SFC gains nothing if the movie or potential series is a hit overseas. Warner Bros., on the other hand, won't produce the series unless it has a commitment from a network that will cover its costs. (They refused to deficit-finance the previous B5 series, I don't see any reason why they would treat this one differently.) That means an American network, in this case.

So I don't see how foreign sales or viewership can make the least difference to our chances of getting a series - anymore than foreign sales of the movie DVDs will influence Warner Home Video's decision on releasing the episodes. Such sales are nice, and the studios appreciate the revenue, but they are ancillary. U.S. TV shows live or die based on U.S. ratings, not how well they do overseas.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited January 08, 2002).]

hmph, i just made a post in the other one saying sweet. Well, this blows, majorly.

------------------
My name: Solaris5....
My mission: to burst the bubble of idiocy that has enveloped everyone and bring common sense back from beyond the rim.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
U.S. TV shows live or die based on U.S. ratings, not how well they do overseas. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially when talking about starting a series, as opposed to maintaining one that's already in production.

Also, especially when talking about a broadcast or cable network program, as opposed to first-run syndication.

And in case anyone was tempted to point out something like Baywatch as a counterexample to Joe's statement, I'll point out that the environment was much different back then, before the US first-run syndication market went downhill with the coming of the UPN and WB networks.

------------------
-- Marty
"Always do what you're good at," they tell me.
So I go around annoying people.

Well, isn't that just peachy.
mad.gif

Still, the word "yet" is promising.

Admiral Dave

------------------

The quote comes from "Buffy - The Vampire Slayer".

It is from

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> the 4th season finale called "Restless". </font></td></tr></table>

Also as i keep saying, SPACE is a part of the CHUM corporation, it's not THE CHUM corporation. All those automated responces say is that SPACE doesn't have the rights, it says nothing about CHUM itself or it's other channels. Channels that always air B5 programming before SPACE does.

------------------
"I walk, i shop, i sneeze. I'll be a fireman when the floods roll back. There's trees in the desert since you moved out ... and i don't sleep on a bed of bones."

For what's it worth, I just got some second-hand news....
A friend of mine just reported to me that he had just seen ad for B5: LotR on Space.
Anybody else catch it...?

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."
-- B. Banzai

[This message has been edited by spuzzum (edited January 09, 2002).]

I know Joe is right when he says foreign sales don't make a whit of difference to Warner Bros. In fact JMS made that quite clear in one of his posts some time ago.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

Back