• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rip me a mighty new one

GKarsEye

Regular
Here's a fun gag- my sig has links to my DVD and CD collections. Check 'em out and rip it apart. What items are you surprised to see there? What utter crap should I dispose of immediately? I know you folks can bite. Let's see your worst.

I won't get mad. Honest. ;)

Pi? FUCKING PI?? God I hated that film so so much.

Most I don't know from your collection, but some I can agree with. The Treks at least. :) And One Flew.

I notice a distinct lack of Matt Damon movies. This is bad.

I'm not even going to TRY and critique your CD collection (too lazy), but the DVDs seem fine by me. Your DVD collection is much like THIS:

-I've seen it and I liked it, so it's fine by me.
-I haven't seen it, but it looks good.
-I haven't seen it, nor do I even know what it's about.
-I need to buy American Psycho on DVD soonish.

Well, that last one's more for me than you, but you get the point. I hope.

Pi has math. You can't get much cooler than a film about math. Hypatia should back me up on this.

Matt Damon movies? Let's just say that, IMO, the dude hasn't made any classics yet, to put it politely. To put it not politely, he sure makes a lot of crap.
And yes, folks, I have seen the one where he's a math genius at MIT with Robin Williams. Schmaltz. If you want to see a good movie about math, watch Pi.
(And that, folks, is what we refer to as a call-back in the biz.)

Oh, let's see if I can guess these:
I've seen it and I liked it, so it's fine by me.

Babylon 5. Heh.

-I haven't seen it, but it looks good.

Notorious, Red Beard

-I haven't seen it, nor do I even know what it's about.

Wages of Fear, Cries and Whispers

-I need to buy American Psycho on DVD soonish.

Don't just stare at it- buy it.

Well, there's also Silence of the Lambs, all the Python stuff, the FG DVDs, Farscape, etc.

And I've been wanting to buy more Kurosawa films, but A) Criterion DVDs are hard to find around here, and B) they cost too damn much. Although I DO own Seven Samurai, but unfortunately, I have yet to watch it. I just don't watch my DVDs much. Well, I DO watch the anime, but... eh, let's not get into this right now.

And yeah... I don't know those. I've never heard of most of the Criterion DVDs you own. And the only ones I'm truely interested in seeing are the ones by Japanese directors.

And after looking through your CD collection, I cannot say anything bad about any of them. And I bow before the might of your jazz collection.

*bows*

And you should get the Charlie Parker with Strings CD. GOOD things.

Matt Damon movies? Let's just say that, IMO, the dude hasn't made any classics yet, to put it politely. To put it not politely, he sure makes a lot of crap.

Bah. You're getting it all wrong. What about the Bourne Identity? Or Dogma?

Even if you don't like those superb films (shame on you) you should still watch for Matt. Whereas like most straight guys, you'd watch it and go "Well I am straight... but for Matt, I really would have to convert over just once because he's one hot hunk". *knows this is how straight people think*

The best price for Criterions are at DVDPlanet.com. You can get single-disc DVDs for 19.99 and double sets for 25.99, wereas stores usually sell them for over 30 smackers.

There are still plenty of those I want to get, like Hamlet, Spartacus, a couple more Bergman films, etc.

Yes, you are right to bow before my jazz. If only I could get women to do that. (I guess that's a pun, sorta. A really dumb one.)

Diggin' some Grant Green right now. :cool:

Ant, I don't think I'll be converting to gayness anytime soon or ever, and even if I would, it sure wouldn't be due to some skinny-ass big-eared pretty boy mediocre actor.

Bourne Identity was typical action, and one of the films that contributed to the cinematic boredom I wrote about in another thread I started.
As much as I like Kevin Smith, I found Dogma to be bloated. Smith's humor is great when it comes to screwing a dead guy in the bathroom or "fingercuffs," but it got too stupid when he tried to tackle JC.

Damn dude, you need to start up a radio station. I thought I used to have a lot of CD's. Pretty damned good collection, although I didn't see the Spice Girls anywhere.

I'm with GotKR on your DVD collection. You have quite a few that I've always wanted to get and many that I've never seen that I've always wanted to. My collection is slowly building back up to its former glory.

Oh, dude, that's right, Spice Girls. I knew I forgot to pick up something at the record store the other day.

Hmm, the mighty GKarsEye radio show. That would be sweet. You'd all listen to a show that played 50s be-bop followed by Swedish progressive metal and 20th century Russian classical music, right?

Oh damn, I think I just saw my ratings plummet.

"Former" glory? Why, what happened to all your movies? Or are you just refering to replacing VHS with DVD?

By former glory, I'm referring to all the DVD's that were stolen from my apartment last September. I had damned near 100 then. I'm almost back to that point now. The hardest part is actually having to buy a lot of the same movies a second time. I haven't repurchased a lot of the ones I rarely watched, just the one that I consider 'must haves'. I'm still slowly converting some of my better VHS ones to DVD though.

Oh dude, right, now I remember that happened. Man, that sucks. If someone f***ed with my mighty CD collection... sheet, I do believe I would turn green, multiply in size, and start throwin' junk at folks.

I have PI also, a cool/different type movie to say the least. I really enjoyed it, I don't think my girlfriend did though. She hates math anyways...

Cerberus

I hear that, bro. I make sure to keep women far away from my movies and music. It's like electricity and water.

Here's what puzzles me:
Santana, but no early Journey;
Yes, but no Asia.
Zep, but no Plant... :confused:

I noticed Springsteen missing from your list, and I'm down with that. I *never* got what everyone saw in him.

Here's what I don't get about the CD list, based on past discusions:

No Howlin' Wolf.
No Muddy Waters.
No Etta James.

It's like much of the blues section is missing.
(I'm assuming that the site where you put the list automatically committed the labeling oddity of saying that a couple of Hooker albums are "blues" if they are CDs but "jazz" if they are DADs.)

It also appears that you have ignored the Folk section of the music store. For me that's sorta like the Country section: I don't see myself ever having a lot of it, but there are a couple artist worth cherry picking out of there. I find Dar Williams' songwriting to be fairly amusing (although, when her last CD came out a few months ago, the local Borders moved her from the Folk section into Pop/Rock).

Given your much mentioned appreciation of King Crimson, I wasn't surprised to see all of the California Guitar Trio CDs on the list. I just recently discovered their existance. So far I only have CG3+2. I'm thinking that I'll target Rocks the West next, mostly because I want to hear how they tackle Beethoven's 9th. :cool:

I also noticed that there are absolutely no "Various Artists" collections on your list. I don't have a lot of those, but they can be useful. I recently picked up the 4 disc set "Hitsville USA: Motown 1959 - 1971". That has a lot of fun stuff on it, a fair amount of it by people that I would be unlikely to buy whole CDs of. (I find that every time I hear "I've got 25 miles to go ....", it still reminds me of the movie Adventures in Baby Sitting.)

Now this is what I'm talkin' 'bout. Exactly the kind of posts I wanted to see in this thread. :)

Santana, but no early Journey
I don't like later Journey, so I have no interest in early Journey. I do know that they were more of an intsrumental group, but I've also heard and read that, while it's good, it's nothing special. There are a ton of fusion and instrumental rock groups that do what they did.
I will admit to having sung along to a couple of Journey tunes on the radio, but I'm not buying any of their music.
Still, I don't see the connection between Journey and Santana, except that both had long instrumental breaks. FWIW, I don't love Santana as much as some. I would like to get a couple more of his early albums (not that Supernatural garbage).
The best guitar playing from Carlos I've ever heard is on an album he did with John McLaughlin, which I have, called Love Devotion Surrender. McLaughlin is a guitar god, yet Carlos is able to keep up. Pretty sweet shit.

Yes, but no Asia
Dude, I'm sorry, but Asia? Yech. Even though it had musicians from my favorite bands- Carl Palmer from ELP, John Wetton from King Crimson, Steve Howe from Yes- they made some boring, cheesy 80s VH1 shite. I remember listening to Alpha a long time ago and laughing my ass off.
I love Steve Howe, but can't dig anything he did outside of Yes. I heard a couple of his solo albums- man, he shouldn't be allowed near a microphone except as part of a three-part harmony.
I have two solo albums by Yes members- 6 Wives of Henry VIII, by Rick Wakeman, which is cool because it's just him going nuts on a keyboard, and Fish Out of Water, by Chris Squire, which basically sounds like a Yes album.
I shudder to think what Jon Anderson's solo stuff might sound like. I wonder if it could be worse than Big Generator or Union?

Zep, but no Plant
"I'm in the mood for a melody, I'm in the mood for a melody, I'm in the mooood."
Uh, no, no solo Plant stuff for me, thanks.
The only solo Zep-guy's music I have (unless you count the live album Page did with the Black Crowes) is Jones' recent albums of mostly instrumental rock/fusion. Kick-ass stuff. I saw his band open for King Crimson, too.

I noticed Springsteen missing from your list, and I'm down with that. I *never* got what everyone saw in him.
Bruce's appeal is that whole "everyman" thing. I can dig a couple of his tunes, but never really gave him enough consideration to actually buy an album.
In fact, there are very few singer-songwriters that move me- Joni Mitchell, Warren Zevon, Tori Amos, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan- that's pretty much it.

Queensryche? Are you ting me?
ting? No, I'm not. :p
What's wrong with Queensryche? Ok, so not everything they did was gold, like their last couple of albums, but Operation: Mindcrime is freakin' brilliant.
I saw them a week ago, actually. They still rock.

No Howlin' Wolf.
No Muddy Waters.
No Etta James.
It's like much of the blues section is missing.
I know. This is bad. I love all three artists you mentioned.
The thing is, I've heard their songs so much (radio, compilations I used to own), that it's like I don't need to own any CDs. But that's no excuse. Bad GkarsEye, bad.
I used to be heavy into blues, but I sort of left it behind when I got into jazz and such. Not consciously, just found other things that moved me more.
But I do have one Muddy Waters CD.

(I'm assuming that the site where you put the list automatically committed the labeling oddity of saying that a couple of Hooker albums are "blues" if they are CDs but "jazz" if they are DADs.)
My fault. I was doing these pretty fast, so I'm sure there are tons of mistakes. Thanks, I fixed it.

It also appears that you have ignored the Folk section of the music store. For me that's sorta like the Country section: I don't see myself ever having a lot of it, but there are a couple artist worth cherry picking out of there. I find Dar Williams' songwriting to be fairly amusing (although, when her last CD came out a few months ago, the local Borders moved her from the Folk section into Pop/Rock).
Yeah, I guess I never really found a lot of non-blues folk music that did it for me. Something about just a dude (or chick) on a guitar doesn't do it for me (with some exceptions of course, ie Dylan and Mitchell). I think it's at least partly because it emphasizes lyrics, which I usually don't care about.

Given your much mentioned appreciation of King Crimson, I wasn't surprised to see all of the California Guitar Trio CDs on the list. I just recently discovered their existance. So far I only have CG3+2. I'm thinking that I'll target Rocks the West next, mostly because I want to hear how they tackle Beethoven's 9th.
The CGT is awesome. I saw them open for The Flower Kings and yes, they did do Beethoven's 9th. There's some kitsch element to what they do, but it's a lot of fun. The most impressive thing they did was (not surprisingly) King Crimson's Discipline. That is a damn hard song to play.
Heck, even my (at the time) girlfriend enjoyed them- a rare moment when I was able to mix music with woman.

I also noticed that there are absolutely no "Various Artists" collections on your list
One, it's just not labeled as such. Jazz Underground, a set of NYC local jazz bands which I picked up at a festival.
I do need to get some Motown, especially Marvin Gaye.
Is "25 Miles to Go" by Edwin Starr?

you need Pink Floyds "The Wall"
I have it, man. It's on the list, between Meddle and Ummagumma.
Although I could live without most of its second half.
I had a thread about this movie a while back. I tried to search for it but couldn't find it. It had my no-holds barred opinion about this film. Let's just say it wasn't flattering.

Pretty well rounded collection, though I can't believe youa ctually bought the gift set of LOTR:FOTR...
Yeah, well, maybe it's a little excessive, but I was in a celebretory mood when buying it. I mean- it's Lord of the freakin' Rings, man! (and I had money, then)
Besides, those little statue dealys look cute on my shelf.

But I do have one Muddy Waters CD.
My bad. I guess "Waters, Muddy" blended into "Walter, Bruno" when I was scanning down, maybe because I was expecting more than one because of your prior discussions of blues.

Something about just a dude (or chick) on a guitar doesn't do it for me (with some exceptions of course, ie Dylan and Mitchell). I think it's at least partly because it emphasizes lyrics, which I usually don't care about.
I can see that. For me, sometimes it's about the music without regard to lyrics and sometimes it's primarily about the lyrics (sufficiently bad music can screw up good lyrics). With Dar (whom I mentioned earlier), the music is decent enough but nothing special. Her forte is storytelling and turning a phrase, kinda like Danny Thomas' stand-up on the comic side (now I've gone and dated myself :D). When she falls back to more standard song writing I tend to find it just pretty good. When she is doing things like telling the story of a pair of Wiccans in the areea for Solstice visiting the devout Christian uncle, aunt, and cousin of one them on Christmas Eve, well .... then she just makes me smile and I find it great fun. Personal tastes, and all.

Since you mentioned Dylan and Mitchell:
It's an interesting thing categorizing music. The lines are quite blurry. I have CDs organized by broad category (or genre, if you prefer) and alphabetized by artist within categories. Where someone gets put can be very arbitrary and based purely on some odd perception in my own mind. I don't have any Mitchell, but the little Dylan and the one Carole King CD I have are in the broad Rock (or posibly "Pop/Rock" would be a better description) section. For some reason I think of them as folk-rock. On the other hand, I have my seldom-played Arlo Guthrie and Charlie Danials Band "best of" CDs in the Folk/Country section (I have few enough of both the folk artists and the country bands or singers that I just have them combined.) Going back the other way, I think of Jerry Lee Lewis as a rocker so that best-of collection is in the Pop/Rock section even though there are probably really more country songs on the disc than rock songs.

I also have trouble figuring out exactly where the boundaries are as you move from blues to R&B to soul and finally to funk. I would never confuse funk with blues, but somehow the lines between each of the more similar, interior pairings are fuzzier in my brain. So, for the moment anyway, all of those are filed together.

I still haven't figured out where I'm going to put CGT. That one CD is still sitting on top of the shelf above my stereo.

Is "25 Miles to Go" by Edwin Starr?
Yes.
If you've seen Adventures in Baby Sitting, it's the song that starts playing when "our gang" spots the parents driving home on the freeway and speeds up; and finishes when the baby sitter finishes straightening up and jumps onto the couch just as the parents walk in the door.

Back