• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What are you watching now?

Went to see a random Japanese movie called Always Sanchōme no Yūhi when in Budapest the other day, and running into an artsy-fartsy movie theatre with friends. Basically about life on a random street in a low-class district of post-WWII Tokyo. Was sappy as hell, and I get the feeling that the movie would have made me puke if it had been American. As it was, though, I found it strangely touching and beautiful. Either the Japanese just do sap better, or I'm losing my edge.

My backlash to The Blair Witch Project was that I love horror movies, this one got a lot of hype, I was excited to see it, and was bored out of my mind. And yes, I've enjoyed my fair share of "subtle" spook flicks and low-budget ones, so it's not an issue w/ style.

Let's see, what have I watched recently...

How the West Was Won
A 3hr Western epic with a crapload of superstars. Apparently the CINERAMA direction was a big deal and the movie was mostly to show-off the technology, but I have a soft spot of the oldies and the westerns so it was alright for what it is, especially as I broke it up over a period of two days.

3... Extremes
A collection of 3 short Asian horror films by different directors, including Takeshi Miike (the reason I watched it). His was pretty solid, the Korean one was good too and the Chinese one I thought was stupid.

Suspiria
The horror director Dario Argento came to my attention with his entry in the Masters of Horror episode Jennifer, and this is his most famous one. Kind of boring and dated to me, but the color scheme was certainly... well, interesting.

I just watched I'm A Cyborg, But That's OK, by the Korean film director who made Sympathy For Lady Vengeance. The "cyborg" is a girl who works in an electronics factory, and due to her mental condition, and surroundings, comes to believe she is a cyborg. She slices her wrist, inserts a couple of wires, tapes it up, then plugs the wires into an electric socket. In the looney bin, she meets a guy who wears different masks, and believes he can assume character traits of other people. This is a really wild, surreal, crazy film, that is nominally a romantic comedy. The scenes where (in her mind) she blows away the hospital staff, by shooting bullets from her fingers, is worthy of Jodorowsky!

Blair Witch was ok. I sat too close to the screen and it made me sick.

I love some good, subtle, slow-moving horror movies sometimes. The Changeling is a good example of classic, non-slasher horror.

It had that effect on lots of people, who are not accustomed to hand held camera techniques, called "shaky cam" by us experimental film aficionados. Blair Witch's real innovation was in how it was marketed over the internet. I thought it was interesting. I never believed it was a true story. I didn't think it was really quite up to its hype, but was still much better than its detractors would have us believe.

3... Extremes
A collection of 3 short Asian horror films by different directors, including Takeshi Miike (the reason I watched it). His was pretty solid, the Korean one was good too and the Chinese one I thought was stupid.

Suspiria
The horror director Dario Argento came to my attention with his entry in the Masters of Horror episode Jennifer, and this is his most famous one. Kind of boring and dated to me, but the color scheme was certainly... well, interesting.

I'm a Miike Fan as well. Audition is my favorite. But, I think Kiyoshi Kurosawa'a Cure beats him. Suspiria- a true classic. Sorry you couldn't appreciate it. It IS very stylized, including the color scheme...

Well certainly when it comes to Miike, most people would cite either Audition or Ichi the Killer as their favorites, Audition being the one for me, if only for that scene... you know the scene... ringing telephone, burlap sack...

Added Cure to the queue. I'm a recent convert to Asian horror, so tx for that.

I love some good, subtle, slow-moving horror movies sometimes. The Changeling is a good example of classic, non-slasher horror.

The mock-documentary style with the shakey cam was annoying to me. A bit like a running pun that wasn't funny to begin with, it felt like they kept pushing a style that simply wasn't effective.

The "shakey cam" didn't make me sick. Watching a supposed documentary of a group of young adults who were too stupid to navigate their way out of a small forest-y area with the aid of a compass and a map did.

I came to the firm conclusion by the end that they deserved to die.

The mock-documentary style with the shakey cam was annoying to me. A bit like a running pun that wasn't funny to begin with, it felt like they kept pushing a style that simply wasn't effective.

The "shakey cam" didn't make me sick. Watching a supposed documentary of a group of young adults who were too stupid to navigate their way out of a small forest-y area with the aid of a compass and a map did.

I came to the firm conclusion by the end that they deserved to die.

Even with the map or the compass they weren't going to navigate out of the woods, that was where the malevolent presence came into play. This was highlighted later when they stayed on the same course and still ended up at the same spot they had camped at the night before. No matter what after those kids spent their first night in the woods they weren't getting out because the witch didn't want them to.

I watched "Burn After Reading" last night and laughed my butt off.

Aren't you concerned about... the... security... of... your.. shit?

I watched two episodes of "30 Days," a Morgan "Supersize Me" Spurlock production. In the first ep. he and his girlfriend attempt to live on minimum wage -- with eye-opening results. In another, a West Virginian church-going man moves in with some Muslims.

The thing about this show is that they're aiming for understanding, not drama -- so it's some of the most respectful and insightful reality TV I've ever seen.

I liked 30 days a lot. I like his penchant for bringing together opposites, to try and find some common understanding. Are you finding it on TV somewhere now, or watching DVDs?

Added Cure to the queue. I'm a recent convert to Asian horror, so tx for that.

Cure is a lot more psychological, and less bloody, than Audition, but I think you'll like it. It's one of my favorite Asian horror films. Both the IFC and the Sundance Channel show Asian horror, with some regularity. Lots of good stuff there.

I liked 30 days a lot. I like his penchant for bringing together opposites, to try and find some common understanding. Are you finding it on TV somewhere now, or watching DVDs?

I watched the Muslim/Christian 30 days when it was on C4. From what I recall, I found it very interesting from a number of perspectives:

• How the Virginian guy wasn't aware that sometimes an innocent posture in Western body language is extremely insulting to Middle Eastern culture (sitting with a foot raised on your knee, bearing the sole of your foot to the person you are talking to, because you are pointing the dirtiest part of your body at them. This was something I first became aware of during an analysis of a Gadaffi interview where he purposely did it).
  • The Muslims' use of prayer observance times to peacefully resolve disputes at the dinner table.
  • Generally, the zeal that moderate Muslims have for their belief system... that a lot of Christians tend to have discarded (I'm not talking fundamentalism, I'm talking about passionate belief... the two are not always in the same bed).
  • The Christian guy's lack of knowledge about his own belief system. He knew enough to be uncomfortable about certain things... but it came across to me as if he was being like that merely because he was told that's how it should be, from someone in a pulpit... and not because he had bothered to look into it himself. It's not enough to say "this is wrong because it doesn't feel right". If you feel that strongly about something, you should be courteous enough to give a response under scrutiny. When the Imam was talking to him about how Muslims accept Jesus as a prophet but the problem they have with Christians, is that they completely disregard Mohammed and they perceive it as unjust. It's not fair to leave it there you can't just say "that's the way it is". It was a theological question that deserved a theological answer.
These were just the thoughts that have remained with me a couple of years after seeing it.

Even with the map or the compass they weren't going to navigate out of the woods, that was where the malevolent presence came into play. This was highlighted later when they stayed on the same course and still ended up at the same spot they had camped at the night before. No matter what after those kids spent their first night in the woods they weren't getting out because the witch didn't want them to.

I was trying to quote someone here at this board. I think that's where I heard it. But you wouldn't know, probably that was before you got here.

I admit I found that joke more entertaining than The Blair Witch Project. But I do know it was popular, and it was definitely different. I'm just kind of glad that shaky-cam style didn't completely take over the film industry.

As to the other conversations going on here, after your post, I don't have much to say as I'm not one who appreciates horror. There is one "scary movie" that I have liked, and I admit it's one of my favorite movies: the classic version of "The Haunting". I love that movie, and it's sense of style. Not that it's better or worse than any other, it's just more to my tastes.

I think it is brilliant, though. I've never seen nor heard of a horror film like it. I'm not sure if it's even considered horror.

The only "horror" flick that ever scared me, seriously;) is "Dead and Buried"

I've never been scared by any horror movie, don't know why either, that's why i focus more on the suspense that horror can create.

Either way, I've watched,

Crash (2004)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/review-crash-2004/
Oh great and mighty Odin, how much I absolutely abhorred this film. Completely devoid of any subtlety, everyone is a racist, nope, there's no such thing as cool people in the world, only racists. Terrible overacting everywhere, this ranks as one of the worst movies I've ever seen, it's that bad.

Monster's Ball (2001)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/review-monsters-ball-2001/
Really good movie, tremendous performances from Boyle, Ledger, Thornton and Berry. Great statement on the human condition and the amount of "need" that exists in peoples lives and what we will do to appease that "need." Dirt, grungy and very authentic, this feels like a movie that is down on its luck, only part that didn't ring true to me was the expediency with which the dad was dealt with. I have yet to see a movie by Marc Forster that I haven't thought was great, Monster's Ball is yet another great film on his resume.

The Palm Beach Story (1942)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/19/review-the-palm-beach-story-1942/
So yeah, Preston Sturges is amazing, he not only has a comedic eye behind the camera but he writes such slick and smart dialogue that's also very realistic. He's basically what Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino have spent their entire careers trying to be and they'll never reach his greatness. Claudette Colbert has quickly become on of my favorite actresses, as cute as a button and fantastic in her delivery of lines with some of the best facial expressions. Mary Astor does steal the show when she makes her appearance, just a great comedy.

Doubt (2008)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/19/review-doubt-2008/
Every actor delivers a great performance, so no need to elaborate on that. I thought the script was excellent, as was the work of Roger Deakins but that's no surprise. This film touched on a lot of themes, and outside of that last line in the last scene it did a tremendous job of creating doubt and suspicion in the viewer, well before we were given anything to doubt.

Freaks (1932)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/20/review-freaks-1932/
Freaks is a film that I could never see being made in today's politically correct world, and that's a shame because it is a splendid movie. It functions just as much as a statement on the evil nature of humanity as it does as a horror film. The collection of Carnies are truly wonderful in how varied they are, and I loved how the film toyed with your sympathies and at the end made you question who you were being sympathetic towards. Other than the tacked on happy ending, this was a great film.

Killer's Kiss (1955)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/20/review-killers-kiss-1955/
There's nothing much to say about this film, it was basically a paint by numbers noir. The only reason to see it is because it is a very early Stanley Kubrick film and you can witness some of the style he will soon develop fully in far better pictures.

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs (1937)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/21/review-snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs-1937/
This is a classic for a reason. Pretty much a perfect fairy tale, with beautiful animation, whimsical characters, laughs, and a bit of a dark side as well. I really don't need to say much about this film, it speaks for itself.

Panic Room (2002)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/21/review-panic-room-2002/
Really good thriller, Fincher's visuals elevate it above the material. I liked the concept, although it did wear thin near the end. Foster and Stewart were really good and I was partial to Dwight Yoakam as one of the burglars. Not Fincher's best, but still a good film.

What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (1962)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/22/review-what-ever-happened-to-baby-jane-1962/
This is a tremendously macabre and dark comedy that also functions as a suspense and horror film. Bette Davis and Joan Crawford hated each other in real life and it comes across in their performances, you feel that Blanche and Jane really do hate each other. Full of disturbing imagery and acts of cruelty, this is also a very sly movie. From the get go its sets your sympathies on a certain path, but as the movie goes along your sympathies are called into question and you realize that in her own way Blanche is just as much of a monster as Jane, she just isn't psychotic like Jane. All around a great dark movie.

The Thing (1982)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/22/review-the-thing-1982/
Made during Carpenter's heyday, The Thing is a masterful who is who story with great suspense, atmosphere and gore. The effects for the alien were amazing, the casting was really good across the board, and I thought the claustrophobic atmosphere and the dread that permeated the picture were fantastic touches. There were a few too many easy outs in the script, and I do agree with some others that Carpenter didn't utilize the Antarctic enough, but a great picture.

As to the other conversations going on here, after your post, I don't have much to say as I'm not one who appreciates horror. There is one "scary movie" that I have liked, and I admit it's one of my favorite movies: the classic version of "The Haunting". I love that movie, and it's sense of style. Not that it's better or worse than any other, it's just more to my tastes.

I'm not a fan of most modern horror movies, Freddie, Jason, etc. The Haunting is good, Freaks is good. But, I think some of the best modern horror is the sort of stuff GKE and I have been talking about here, Asian horror films. Put Cure and Odishon (Audition) on your Netflix list. These are thoughtful, well written, interesting, subtle, psychological films, not perverted USA gore fests. Audition is even a feminist film, in its way...

There are also great classical Japanese horror films, like Kwaidan, Onibaba, Kuroneko (The Black Cat,) and Woman In The Dunes. All of these are deep, reflective, and often stunning to look at. Also, often women play the main roles. You should check out some of them too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back