• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

I'd like an opinion here - Garibaldi's role in fight for Earth

rayhne

I am writing a story where Garibaldi does not resign and takes part in the fight against Clark. The question is and what stumps me is what part would he take in the fight. (He breaks the programming before he can resign and is still fighting by Sheridan's side) Would he go to Mars to meet with the resistance (instead of Franklin, which would have him and Marcus as the newly married couple. Which could be hysterical.), would he have taken command of B5 instead of Corwin, or would he have gone with Sheridan to Earth and lead the Starfuries? Or even maybe had command of a White Star?

Please let me know what you think!

I think that were Garibaldi in such a scenario, his abilities to bypass security protocols and crack passwords would have come into play. Similar to the kind of stuff he was doing as the Alliance's head of Covert Intelligence... and to what his hologram did in Deconstruction of Falling Stars.

I believe he'd be an infiltrator and would possibly be in deeper than Marcus and Franklin were....actually on the inside, not just working with the resistance.

And it wouldn't surprise me if he'd still have somehow fallen off the wagon with the situations that could have brought up.

Good point. I'm still juggling with the falling off the wagon bit. He won't have the stresses (well, not the same stresses) as he did in the 5th season and I don't really write 'drunk' well but we will see.

Others please?

I think he'd go to Mars. If you remember, he was on Mars before he went to Babylon 5. He had that relationship with Lise, and I think he'd go partly because of that. I also think he'd have had contacts from his days on Mars that could help him and the resistance infiltrate Clark's people. Plus with his previous experiences with Bester taken into account, if he found out anything about Psi Corp and whatever role they might have had in Clark's government, I think he'd try to expose them.

Assuming he became aware of who was responsible for his brainwashing when he broke the programming, I bet he would go after Bester and the psi corps.

At what point are you thinking of deviating from the show's plot? Would he still go to Mars and find out about the anti-teep virus?

I'm still working on it (actually I'm on the first story, which takes place in season 3 and lays the groundwork for him breaking the programming (with help)). The programming will either break just before the battle with the Vorlons/Shadows or he may actually resigned and have it break shortly after. If the latter, he may continue along the same road only this time his mind is his own and he's using it as a means to find out what's going on and to help the Army of Light from Mars. Due to popular demand, Bester will get his comeuppance. I'm not saying how, though.

Sounds really interesting. I do hope you'll post a link here so we can read it when it's finished!

I will post the link here. The first story is about a third finished (unless it decides to take over ... again) and going well. I will be posting it at fanficton.net (There is a teaser already up there. The title is CIRCLES.) and at my site (which will have images).

It is very much a Garibaldi story and deviates from canon in that Talia was never taken over by Control and is part of the war council. It takes place between the time the members of Nightwatch were arrested and Earth's attack on B5.

Since you mentioned Talia, have you written Lyta into the story? If so, there could be some interesting storylines between those two. ;)

I think he'd go to Mars. If you remember, he was on Mars before he went to Babylon 5. He had that relationship with Lise, and I think he'd go partly because of that. I also think he'd have had contacts from his days on Mars that could help him and the resistance infiltrate Clark's people. Plus with his previous experiences with Bester taken into account, if he found out anything about Psi Corp and whatever role they might have had in Clark's government, I think he'd try to expose them.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I think he'd be on Mars and would eventually meet up with Marcus/Steven.

Back