• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

NEW Babylon 5 Series

Can anyone explain to me what a CW is?

As in
"To answer all the questions, yes, it’s true, Babylon 5 is in active development as a series for the CW."
- JMS

It's an American TV channel partly owned by WB and partly owned by CBS I think. Tends to cater towards teen audiences, shows are often a bit low budget. They've had the most success with adaptations of DC comics properties for series:

Arrow, The Flash, Lois and Clark and other stuff like Jane the Virgin, Supernatural, Riverdale, Sabrina reboot.

I was instantly a bit concerned, but I think JMS will have opted for this deal for a reason, probably a greater degree of control for a less glitzy budget. Jury's out until the reboot airs I guess. As long as it isn't wall to wall pleather and a sexy young cast, I am game.

JMS also confirmed that the individual who had blocked past B5 reboots / new content at WB is now gone.

Last edited:
It's an understandable fear. But, as I understand it, WB will be producing the series, with CW simply distributing. So, as long as they don't give JMS any stupid TNT-style notes, we should be fine.

Whatever its budget, I think the new show needs to look as good as The Expanse or Discovery if it is to compete with them.

Either way, it should mean that this message board will become a much busier place!

I note that the only confirmed character so far is Sheridan - not Sinclair. I am assuming that, as JMS has intimated previously, characters whose actors have passed away won't be rebooted. So there will be no Delenn, no Garibaldi, no G'Kar, no Franklin, no Vir etc in this new show? That in itself will drastically change the storyline from the original.

Last edited:
I will of course watch it.

But - I have a lot of trepidation going into this, maybe even a little sadness. It's hard to put into words and maybe I need to cogitate on it for longer, but the original B5 is very dear to me. Maybe my fear is that the reboot will eclipse the original in people's minds, just by being newer and flashier, and my instinct is to be protective of the original.

I also find reboots to be, generally, a creatively bankrupt concept. Of course there are exceptions and some reboots do work out, like BSG, but I would rather see JMS produce a completely new space-based show.

I will keep my fingers crossed that this is good. It might be hard for me to warm to it at first, and I think the new show will have to work to justify its existence. If it can do that, then I will be in all the way.

And, it might open the door for merchandise related to the original show. At least get the blu-ray out...

PS. There were two rumoured projects, this but also the animated show. Hopefully this hasn't nixed the possibility of the animated show.

Thanks. This is probably the most thoughtful post I've seen about people's fears. I understand the impulse to be protective of the original but I'm glad to see that you're open to the new one.

I will of course watch it.

But - I have a lot of trepidation going into this, maybe even a little sadness. It's hard to put into words and maybe I need to cogitate on it for longer, but the original B5 is very dear to me. Maybe my fear is that the reboot will eclipse the original in people's minds, just by being newer and flashier, and my instinct is to be protective of the original.

I also find reboots to be, generally, a creatively bankrupt concept. Of course there are exceptions and some reboots do work out, like BSG, but I would rather see JMS produce a completely new space-based show.

I will keep my fingers crossed that this is good. It might be hard for me to warm to it at first, and I think the new show will have to work to justify its existence. If it can do that, then I will be in all the way.

And, it might open the door for merchandise related to the original show. At least get the blu-ray out...

PS. There were two rumoured projects, this but also the animated show. Hopefully this hasn't nixed the possibility of the animated show.

It does bode well, that in his tweet JMS mentioned the B5 reboot in the same breath as Westworld and BSG. This means the show will be a drastic overhaul, which I can totally get behind. We'll be getting something very different, and I'd wager, nothing like a straight remake that some fans seems to think we're getting.

I must admit it is nice discussing this here, Facebook and Reddit are unbearable, it's a torrent of 'noooo, this will ruin everything' and 'I will raze the earth and salt it before I watch a show with a new cast', etc, etc...

I have many reservations.

How do you replace that cast? How can you have Delenn or G'Kar without the unparalleled people that played them?

I thought JMS has told the story that he wanted to tell, I don't understand reopening it.

I have reservations about the CW. I guess it makes sense that WB has the rights to B5 so CW is their network (I assume that's still the case). CW was formed because even a big franchise like Star Trek couldn't keep UPN afloat. CW is also teen drama through and through. I don't see sci-fi being their natural fit.

Then there's the history. Didn't he say no more as WB kept dilly dallying about further straight to DVD movies? Will they have the patience to do another five year show? They haven't even bothered to Blu-ray edition it, yet they suddenly have faith in the franchise for a new iteration?

Didn't he say no more as WB kept dilly dallying about further straight to DVD movies? Will they have the patience to do another five year show? They haven't even bothered to Blu-ray edition it, yet they suddenly have faith in the franchise for a new iteration?

Yes and no. They did dilly-dally about commissioning more. He said no when they offered what he considered a budget that wouldn't meet the needs for doing so. He'd said even before the Lost Tales was released that it would have to be a large bump.

We need to keep in mind that this isn't a green light yet - just a development deal.

From JMS on Facebook:

J. Michael Straczynski - Hang with JMS

To answer all the questions, yes, it’s true, Babylon 5 is now in active development as a series for the CW. We have some serious fans over at the network, and they’re eager to see this show happen. I’m hip deep into writing the pilot now, and will be running the series upon pickup. The network understands the uniqueness of Babylon 5 and is giving me a great deal of latitude with the storytelling.

As noted in the announcement, this is a reboot from the ground up rather than a continuation, for several reasons. Heraclitus wrote, “You cannot step in the same river twice, for the river has changed, and you have changed.” In the years since B5, I’ve done a ton of other TV shows and movies, adding an equal number of tools to my toolbox, all of which I can bring to bear on the question: if I were creating Babylon 5 today, for the first time, knowing what I now know as a writer, what would it look like? How would it use all the storytelling tools and technological resources available in 2021 that were not on hand then? How can it be used to reflect the world in which we live, and the questions we are asking and confronting every day? Fans regularly point out how prescient the show was and is of our current world; it would be fun to take a shot at looking further down the road.

So we will not be retelling the same story in the same way because of what Heraclitus said about the river. There would be no fun and no surprises. Better to go the way of Westworld or Battlestar Galactica where you take the original elements that are evergreens and put them in a blender with a ton of new, challenging ideas, to create something both fresh and familiar.

To those who have asked why we’re not just doing a continuation…for a network series like this, it can’t be done because over half our cast are still stubbornly on the other side of the Rim. How do you telling continuing story of our original Londo without the original Vir? Or G’Kar? How do you tell Sheridan’s story without Delenn? Or the story of B5 without Franklin? Garibaldi? Zack?

The original Babylon 5 was ridiculously innovative: the first to use CGI to create ships and characters, and among the very first to shoot widescreen with a vigorous 5.1 mix. Most of all, for the first time, Babylon 5 introduced viewers accustomed to episodic television to the concept of a five-year arc with a pre-planned beginning, middle and end…creating a brand new paradigm for television storytelling that has subsequently become the norm. That tradition for innovation will continue in this new iteration, and I hope to create additional new forms of storytelling that will further push the television medium to the edge of what’s possible.

Let me conclude by just saying how supportive and enthusiastic everyone at the CW has been and is being with this project. They understand the unique position Babylon 5 occupies both in television and with its legions of fans, and are doing everything they can to ensure the maximum in creative freedom, a new story that will bring in new viewers while honoring all that has come before.

I must admit it is nice discussing this here, Facebook and Reddit are unbearable, it's a torrent of 'noooo, this will ruin everything' and 'I will raze the earth and salt it before I watch a show with a new cast', etc, etc...

Reminds me of the GINO people (Galactica In Name Only) - They were all nuttier than squirrel poo.

I came to peace with never getting new B5 content a long time ago, so, like many here, I'm approaching this with optimistic trepidation. I trust JMS as a writer, but not so much the CW, but with WB holding the rights, this was likely the only way this would ever happen. I recall JMS talking about such a reboot a good while back, potentially casting OG castmembers as different characters (Bruce as Santiago, etc.), which, with the time passed and lost actors, this is probably the best way to go about it. So, for now, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do, hoping for new takes on iconic moments, kind of an "alternate universe" B5. And, as others have mentioned, if this at least gets us some bluerays with remastered effects, it's worth it.

Not to be a buzzkill, but until the pilot gets made a lot of people seem to be counting chickens not only before they've hatched but before the eggs have even been laid.

Count me in on the Cautiously Optimistic But Distrustful of WB column.

Absolutely agree. I'm getting sick of all the "don't make it woke" nonsense on social media and YT.

I predict this site will suddenly see a surge of new members ?

Whatever its budget, I think the new show needs to look as good as The Expanse or Discovery if it is to compete with them.

Either way, it should mean that this message board will become a much busier place!

l.

Well, I came back after 10 years! Lovely to see you all again!

Agreed on budget, CW does not have a great rep there and this is no tentpole streaming show as with Stranger Things. I hope they get a look and feel closer to The Expanse. It's a great show.

On the plus side, it's got a chance of going several seasons. https://www.cancelledscifi.com/2021/07/08/sci-fi-tv-network-scorecard-the-cw/

Overall I am genuinely conflicted I would have preferred B5 TNG over a reboot but it sounds from the Twitter thread that he has good ideas which may help. And much of the show is set on a space station.

I am anxious not to become the angry GINO type I used to argue with here, there, and everywhere ...

I came in search of a forum for this very reason, in fact.

I thought JMS has told the story that he wanted to tell, I don't understand reopening it.

I think this is the crux of my concerns. I'm not sure if this is a rational argument or just an emotive one, but doing a reboot is almost like saying the story wasn't told well enough the first time so it needs to be remade. I mean, I get tired of people rubbishing the original show, saying it is dated or cheap looking and the effects and acting are bad, etc etc and the reboot will amplify those voices.

And if it is going to be drastically different to the original, why not make it something new as opposed to a reboot? After all, novelists don't rewrite novels 20 years later. Painters don't repaint their most famous works 20 years later. Why does this only happen in TV and cinema?

However, despite my misgivings I have had a day to think about it and I am beginning to cautiously accept the idea, and maybe even grow a little excited. And the original show will still always exist, whatever happens with the reboot.

With regard the blu-ray of the original series, maybe it will get a release timed with the debut of the reboot, if it gets off the ground?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back