• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Anyone know what is in this comic?

Unless there's been more than one mini-comic released with a DVD, then I'm relatively sure that it's a little story connected to the short reference stated in The Lost Tales about G'Kar and Franklin going off together beyond the rim; the comic is about them getting a ship for their travels, I think.

VL is correct. The mini-comic was available in special packages of the Lost Tales DVD. The only other way of getting it was at the San Diego Comic-Con that year. It shows Franklin and G'Kar joining up to go exploring 'beyond the Rim' together. The last pages show some worlds were they became legendary heroes to the people they encountered. It's a really nice item.

Jan

They were a Best Buy exclusive but you had to get the specially marked packages as not all of them had the comic.

Jan

Wait!! DON'T buy that expensive one that I see listed! Wait a little while and watch for a seller name: idlecareer . I've bought several of the comics from him and it's a reasonable price. He said he'd be doing more listings after the first of the year.

Jan

I bought this on eBay last year, from memory it was only a few pounds including P&P, certainly no more than £5. It is a lovely, if small, item.

:)

Well, got a copy for more than it was probably worth but I couldn't stand waiting to find a cheaper one. It was worth it though. A real nice story.

So, to the date gurus on here. What year do you think Franklin and G'Kar leave and come back?

Well, got a copy for more than it was probably worth but I couldn't stand waiting to find a cheaper one. It was worth it though. A real nice story.

So, to the date gurus on here. What year do you think Franklin and G'Kar leave and come back?
This is my first post!

I'm pretty sure the implication is that they never come back. I'm not sure the year that they leave (though, G'Kar is in Legend of the Rangers, so presumably after that). It seems to me that it was written as a nice way to explain why two very popular, integral characters would not be in The Lost Tales at any point (due to the deaths of the actors). Very simple, but so awesome. I'm very glad that they did this min-comic. I just wish that one day, JMS (or someone) would do a mini-series of comics dealing with G'Kar and Franklin's adventures.

I'd *love* to see some of G'kar's adventures both with Lyta and with Stephen. I'm pretty sure that JMS will never do it, though.

As for the years...The Lost Tales takes place in 2271 because it's the 10-year anniversary of the InterStellar Alliance. G'Kar was already back from his travels with Lyta when he helped out the Rangers in "Legend of the Rangers" and that happened about 3 years after the events of "Objects at Rest" which was late in 2262.

I agree that the 'beyond the rim' has a double implication, one in the story universe and one in the real universe. In the story we know that G'Kar and Londo killed each other at the end of 2278 and that Franklin is at the final supper for Sheridan in 2281. In the real universe, the implication of 'beyond the rim' is that they're gone and never going to be seen again. It's amazing how well both seem to work.

Jan

I really wish JMS would write or authorize some more B5 comics. So many unanswered questions could be handled well in a comic format or a graphic novel. Does JMS even have any desire to do anything new based on Babylon 5 anymore or has he moved on to greener pastures?

He's taken the stand that he's not willing to do any more low-budget things like the Lost Tales. That said, there's been a big B5 graphic novel in the works for a *long* time now. For other comics, I think that a comics company (probably DC since it's a sister company to WB) would have to approach WB with a proposal.

Jan

He's taken the stand that he's not willing to do any more low-budget things like the Lost Tales. That said, there's been a big B5 graphic novel in the works for a *long* time now. For other comics, I think that a comics company (probably DC since it's a sister company to WB) would have to approach WB with a proposal.

Jan

Yea, from what I recall reading his attitude seems to be, he'll no longer bother shopping any B5 around, but, if someone comes to him with the right opportunity (IE: Proper control, proper budget, etc) he would be happy to do it. He only wants to do something that will add to the richness of B5, no more "whatever it takes to get things rolling again"

Yea, from what I recall reading his attitude seems to be, he'll no longer bother shopping any B5 around, but, if someone comes to him with the right opportunity (IE: Proper control, proper budget, etc) he would be happy to do it. He only wants to do something that will add to the richness of B5, no more "whatever it takes to get things rolling again"
It's a shame that something like that hasn't already happened. I mean, a ton of popular series live on in comics very nicely after the series' end. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the largest example of that. The canonical season eight comics have been great, and selling like crazy. Also Angel, Firefly/Serenity (Joss is a big fan of comics). Then you have all the Star Wars comics, many of which are better than some of the movies (though I believe someone already pointed this out).

On top of that, JMS is easily one of the better comic writers out these days. His run on Amazing Spider-Man was one of the best runs of that character (until it was destroyed at the end by overzealous editors). And he managed to revitalize the Thor series/character. And now he's going to be writing for DC (The Brave and the Bold, at the very least). Since DC and WB are partners, now would be the perfect time for them to all get together and do some Babylon 5 comics.

That may just be my opinion, though. Since he won't do anymore of The Lost Tales due to the budget (which is totally an understandable reason), why not comics, where budget isn't as much a concern?

It'd be awesome to see all the stuff he wanted to do with the rest of Crusade, and the rest of The Lost Tales in comic form. And he could even have Franklin and G'Kar there, without having to recast either of them.

It'd be awesome to see all the stuff he wanted to do with the rest of Crusade, and the rest of The Lost Tales in comic form. And he could even have Franklin and G'Kar there, without having to recast either of them.

Don't know about comics, but when he was asked about finishing Crusade in a series of novels, he said he wouldn't because Crusade was conceived as a TV show. Since comics are more visual-oriented, maybe that would work.

Thankfully, with his raised status these days, he could command a good artist. I swear the art in the original comics was the worst I'd ever seen!

Jan

It did not help them take off. To be blunt, the art really sucked. Also, at the time, people only wanted to draw super heroes.

Comics have improved immensely since then, in scope & colouring techniques. Sci-fi comics now get decent artists, and the growth of CGI work in comics also helps. The new trek series is a good case, as is the recent Dan Dare.

I think storylines from Rangers, the Lost Tales and Crusade could all be wrapped up nicely with comic mini-seres. It would blow my mind to see a major artist like Bryan Hitch draw a B5 strip. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Hitch).

Comics are now being sold on Itunes. You could even get the original cast to do voices overs. It would need a sizeable budget, but could work.

I am suspecting that the success of the new Trek movie will inform on green lighting for more B5, and maybe some of JMS's other sci-fi projects.

Back