• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Ratings

Since Rangers is aiming for the second highest set of ratings for the network, does anyone happen to know what that number currently is? I'm only referring to a movie or mini-series since I don't believe a regularly scheduled hour of programming would contend for the second highest rating ever (maybe I'm wrong though...).

Dylan

------------------

I believe their number one program was "Dune", which scored approximately 4.5. The recent airing of "Epoch" scored a 2.3 (If memory serves) and was labeled the 2nd highest SFC original programming rating in the article that I read. However I think that article may be incorrect. I thinl that "Invisible Man" may have scored a 2.7 when it first premiered. Anyway, I believe that based upon these numbers, if "Rangers" can score a 3.0 or above we win.

------------------

Can someone remind me how ratings are counted? Are only certain individuals or sampling groups used to make the calculations? I'm definitely going to tune in myself, but if I encourage friends & co-workers to watch it, even if they're not B5 fans in the first place, would it make a difference?

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to soldiers fighting overseas and to their families.

It's in the early- to mid-fours, Dylan, as was stated above.

In its heyday, Babylon 5 was easily earning 4's. "Into the Fire," an episode, I think recieved a 4.1 - so, if the Babylon 5 fans all come back, and Rangers get a few new viewers, we shouldn't be hurting. The TV movies did great for cable movies, if I recall correctly... someone else with better knowledge of the subject could probably be a better informant.

Babylon 5 isn't entirely the buried secret it was during most of its first run. It's picked up a lot of viewers in the year and a half it's been at the 7 pm slot in the Sci-Fi Channel, and with the additional marketing...

...well, it's dicey. I guess, "on the edge of a knife," is the way you could go. It could fall either way.

I'm going with your sources and think that, yes, Rangers can really get that strong second.

As always, here's to hoping.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

[This message has been edited by channe (edited December 30, 2001).]

While B5 may not be pulling in monster numbers at the moment you have to remember these are repeats. I have not been watching this run through much since I had watched it twice in a row before. Previous to those two runs it had been a while since I had last watched. B5 is often described as a novel for tv and just like people rarely restart the same novel just after finishing it most people need to take a break from the show occasionally.

New B5 material will probably attract many people who watched the show but don't keep up with the reruns.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Babylon 5 is probably ready for a rest. I know that Disney re-releases its cartoons every 7 years. There is also a delay in the repeating of Star Trek (TOS). I suspect that the second season of B5LR will be a good time to repeat weekly episodes of Babylon 5. Hopefully they will help each other in the ratings.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

First and foremost, ratings are determined by the number of people (people who participate in ratings statistics in one way or another) who watch the show.

The second parameter which interests TV companies is the group which generated the ratings - especially their potential as a target audience for advertising.

In the long term, advertising response also counts. If a customer mentions which advertisements directed his/her attention to the product, the advertiser will take note. The televison company might notice that certain shows attract more advertising.

Last but not least, Warner will always have some interest in marketing the movie/series to others, after it has aired for a certain time on Sci-Fi Channel. They might also calculate in the potential of DVD/VHS releases in distant future.

---

In the end I would conclude that the decision depends on many factors, but recommending "Rangers" to someone can only do good.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited December 30, 2001).]

The 2-hour pilot for Invisible Man premiered with a 2.5 rating. What was interesting about the "Epoch" performance(2.3) is that it was unheralded. Other than on-air promotion, they barely advertised it.

Looking at the average rating of the repeats is deceptive because it is *how many people watching an average minute in an average episode*. It doesn't reflect the cumulative number of people who might watch B5 reruns "once in a while". If you knew that number, you might be able to predict how many people might watch Rangers.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
It's in the early- to mid-fours, Dylan, as was stated above.

In its heyday, Babylon 5 was easily earning 4's. "Into the Fire," an episode, I think recieved a 4.1 ...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anybody know what SiL got?

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Anybody know what SiL got?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it was 1.3 (I think it was original run, not rerun rating)

Season5 got bad ratings (episode by episode rating dropped).

------------------
www.zone.ee/b5project

Apples and oranges. "Sleeping in Light" was a cable episode but "Into the Fire" was syndicated. Also ItF represents one of the highest B5 ratings achieved during the first run.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by westtim:
Apples and oranges. "Sleeping in Light" was a cable episode but "Into the Fire" was syndicated. Also ItF represents one of the highest B5 ratings achieved during the first run.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SiL should have been HUGE, ratings-wise. It had to have gotten more than a 1.3!

I'd have been there for it, even if I could get no picture and had to listen to the sound via two cans and a string.
shocked.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).

"Midnight on the Firing Line", the first B5 episode in syndication, got a 7.2 rating.

"Into the Fire" represented a high for the latter years.

It's hard to compare ratings over time because the more channels people get, the more ratings erode over time. Comparing a 1994 rating to a 2001 rating is unfair because people get more channels now and the pie is sliced into smaller pieces. All ratings are lower.

Because, it's closer in time, a better comparison may be the TNT movies. I believe those were: (TNT Universe/Total U.S)

In The Beginning: 4.0/3.0
Thirdspace: 2.6/2.0
River of Souls: 1.8/1.4
A Call To Arms: 2.7/2.1

(Note: TNT in that year had about the same U.S. coverage as SciFi has now)

I always found it interesting that River of Souls did so poorly. I have my theories, but I'll keep them to myself.

------------------

ItB is my favorite, so it's nice to see that it did so well. River of Souls was not a real favorite of mine, & neither was Thirdspace. A Call to Arms was great, though, even without Franke's music. I liked Galen right away.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

I always found a kind of funny symmetry in that B5 and Lexx, opposite ends of the space opera spectrum, both produced four MOW's in the late 90's and in both cases, 1 and 4 were great and 2 and 3 kinda blew.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SavantB5:
[BBecause, it's closer in time, a better comparison may be the TNT movies. I believe those were: (TNT Universe/Total U.S)

In The Beginning: 4.0/3.0
Thirdspace: 2.6/2.0
River of Souls: 1.8/1.4
A Call To Arms: 2.7/2.1
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These ratings numbers accurately reflect my preferences.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

I remember being very surprised that "A Call to Arms" did as well as it did. That one got practically no promotion from TNT (things had already begun to sour by then). I also remember a significant portion of B5 fans did not even know about it.
While we are discussing it, here is my listing of the best B5 movies. From last to first.

5. "River of Souls"
4. "Thirdspace" (good movie, but the next two are better)
3. "In the Beginning"
2. "A Call to Arms" (this movie rocked from start to finish)
1. "To Live in Die in Starlight" (Faith baby ..Faith)

------------------

Yes Dune is the Sci-Fi channel high ratings champ. B6 will probably have good ratings. I mean there has been enough promotion for it. Trailers on a bunch of channels, those car wraps, shirts the fans wear, new fans seeing the previews, people who have never seen a new b5 story when everyone else does. I became a b5 fan last year and this will be the first time i see some new material at the same time everyone else does

capt

------------------
DS9 and B5. Who would have thought 2 of my fav shows would take place on stations in the middle of nowhere :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CaptDS9E:
B6 will probably have good ratings.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

B6??? Is that what you're expecting to see, or is that a typo?

crazy.gif
Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Back