• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Enter the Silver Surfer (spoilers)

Jade Jaguar

Regular
Anyone else seen this yet? The Surfer is one of my favorite Marvel characters. The film was fair, but I hope for more and better, in the future. One thing I found disgusting was the product placement. Every time anyone was drinking a beer, it was Dos Equis. But, the real over-the-top part was when the fantasticar was shown with Dodge on the bumper, and Reed and Johnny Storm talked about that, including saying that it had a hemi! If you know what the fantasticar does, you know how ridiculous that is. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I really enjoyed the first one. It wasn't rocket science, but it was just a FUN movie. I went in expecting the first one to be lame, but came out saying "wow, I had a good time."

I hear this one was written by different peeps. I will see it here soon, I imagine.

It was okay. Johny didn't burn his clothes off nearly enough, and Sue's whining over a normal life bugged the heck out of me, but it was still a fun movie.

Enjoyed this one MUCH more than the first. Better writing, better acting, deeper characters, spectacular effects. Jessica Alba has never looked hotter, but I still say she doesn't make a good blue-eyed blonde. :)

Jessica Alba has never looked hotter, but I still say she doesn't make a good blue-eyed blonde. :)

I'd have to agree with you. Much as I favor giving roles to black actors for reasons other than 'this is a black character,' when a character is that well established, I don't think is is always a good idea to make such a change. I have no objection to Alicia being black, instead of a tiny, mousy little blonde. I think that works very well. If they really want to use a black lead, perhaps they could make a movie of The Black Panther!

Addendum:
I just read somewhere else that Alba is a latina. Hmmm, she doesn't look it to me. I haven't exactly been a fan of hers, and therefore haven't read much about her, but she looks black to me. Guess I was wrong.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Luke too, but I think he seems a bit too much like a 70s black exploitation character to be popular now.

Addendum:
I just read somewhere else that Alba is a latina. Hmmm, she doesn't look it to me. I haven't exactly been a fan of hers, and therefore haven't read much about her, but she looks black to me. Guess I was wrong.

With a name like Alba? That's a fine old Spanish name.

I'd have to agree with you. Much as I favor giving roles to black actors for reasons other than 'this is a black character,' when a character is that well established, I don't think is is always a good idea to make such a change. I have no objection to Alicia being black, instead of a tiny, mousy little blonde. I think that works very well. If they really want to use a black lead, perhaps they could make a movie of The Black Panther!

Addendum:

Strange, I never would have even thought of the possibility of her having a bit of black blood in her. What makes her appear black to you?

Definitely hispanic/latina, IMHO.

Strange, I never would have even thought of the possibility of her having a bit of black blood in her. What makes her appear black to you?

Definitely hispanic/latina, IMHO.

Jessica Alba's skin colour is too dark for her to be a pure blood European, she does not look like an Arab (the Arabs occupied Spain) and she is definitely not a pure blood Red Indian. The Apaches for instance are Native American Mexican Indians.

Hollywood shows Mexicans as being tanned rather than black/brown so to people living out of the Americas she does not look Mexican (=Latino). So people assume that Ms Alba has some diluted black blood in her.

Note: I can across warnings that Mexico, unlike the Southern States, did not have laws banning inter-racial marriage so lots of Latinos are Mestizo.

I think she falls under the category "mixed" or "other."

My young cousins are one-quarter Mayflower descendants, one-quarter black, and one-half Vietnamese; what race would you call them?

I'd call them "the future" -- and Ms. Alba along with. One day us white folks will be an atavism.

wonder what people will discrimate by in the future when everybody is the same color due to "mixing of the colors" so to speak. Would be interesting to hop in a Time Machine and see.

Back