• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Initial Disscussion thread for a B5TV "Top 25 Sci-Fi Moments"

Well, I could go with the obligatory "I am your father" moment, but I think there are a couple of better ones:

"Let us do it now, while it's still asleep." (Also in the running: "Jump -- jump now!" and "This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari...")

"Whoever wrote this episode is a bad writer!"

"I'm going to need guns. Lots and lots of guns."

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Be the first on your block to correctly identify them all!

Quote 2 is almost from Galaxy Quest (assuming that's the one you have in mind) ... I remember Gwen yelling "This episode was badly written!" when confronted with the chompers, and vaguely recall a statement (again from Gwen) that "Whoever wrote this episode should die!", but I don't remember the exact quote you have there.

Good excuse to re-watch one of My fave films! :D

Quote 3 was Neo in The Matrix (although I thought it was just "lots of guns" rather than "lots and lots" but it is a while since I watched it.

Last one definitely sounds like Mal Reynolds, but I haven't seen all of Firefly including wherever that quote comes.

Well, I did them all from memory, so I may very well have gotten a few wrong... but hey, two of the best quotes from Star Wars -- "Luke, I am your father" and "I dunno, kid, I can imagine quite a lot" -- are actually misquotes, so there you go.

And yes, it's World Without End Pt. II, Galaxy Quest, The Matrix (just before the truly epic shootout in the lobby) and Firefly. I'm still convinced the Firefly line is the funniest thing ever written, coming in a scene full of great dialogue.

I know this one is cliche, but Kirk letting Edith Keeler die in "City on the Edge of Forever" was one of the best Sci-Fi moments ever IMO.

Spock: "He knows, doctor. He knows."

Phooey on the 30 year limit. Somebody mentioned Metropolis and original Frankenstein, here.

Last edited:
Metropolis is an excellent addition, then. :)

O.K., one of sci-fi's memorable moments:

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. (Slowing) I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two."

Metropolis is an excellent addition, then. :)

O.K., one of sci-fi's memorable moments:

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. (Slowing) I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two."

Besides being a memorable moment fron 2001, it wasd a memorable moment in real science. I believe that was the first sentence, or perhaps the first song, when artificial speech was invented.

But surely that moment came after the movie 2001, didn't it?

If so, it's more a tribute to Clarke.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if Clarke did indeed refer to a real moment in technological history. :cool:

Nope, that moment came in the mid- 60's. I believe I heard the recording in my biology class. I took its use in 2001 to be a clear nod to the computer programmers who first produced artificial speech. Remember, HAL was regressing, and that was his earliest phase, IIRC.

P.S. I just looked it up. "Daisy" was the first song ever "sung" by a computer. It was sung by a Bell Labs IBM 7094, in 1961. I assume Kubrick was well aware of that, or it wouldn't have made it into the film.

Last edited:
Yes, he started to recite his speech at some important seminal he had been unveiled at, and he definitely was recalling his old memories.

I'm not surprised either way: it just gets a little confusing sometimes whether he is paying tribute to others, or when others paid tribute to him. :)

On that fragmented thought, I'm off to bed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back