• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Legend of the rangers first time viewing.

And by the way, what I was looking for an explanation of was *what* perspective distortion *is*. That's why I used the fish-eye lens example. What is distorted there? What aspect of my face looks wrong? Because it's pretty much exactly what I see when I look in the mirror, and generally nobody complains about my face.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me why my old profile pic is still appearing? I changed it at least ten minutes ago, and looking at my user CP, it shows the correct (new) one, but the latest message (this one) does *not* show it.

And by the way, what I was looking for an explanation of was *what* perspective distortion *is*. That's why I used the fish-eye lens example. What is distorted there? What aspect of my face looks wrong? Because it's pretty much exactly what I see when I look in the mirror, and generally nobody complains about my face.

As I continue to flog a dead horse.....

I've SEEN pictures of you (stuff you posted of yourself in the Philly area.), and what's in that avatar isn't you. Regarding how you see yourself in the mirror:

1. What distance from the mirror are you. Multiply that by two to get the distance that's comparable to a camera to subject distance.

2. In photography, portraits (designed to be natural and flattering), are usually taken between 6ft. and 8ft. away. That's what works.

Last edited:
Incidentally, can anyone tell me why my old profile pic is still appearing? I changed it at least ten minutes ago, and looking at my user CP, it shows the correct (new) one, but the latest message (this one) does *not* show it.

Avatar (first option under Settings & Options) and profile picture (third option under Your profile) are two different things in the user CP. Is it possible that you changed your profile picture, but not your avatar?

The latest XKCD comic seems kind of topical to this conversation. I cannot say that the context/mannerisms here seem any less odd than they seem there. A filter for a webcam pic? Really?

AnlaShokGrey, you look lovely, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise :D .. but it helps that I know to not expect the same results from a webcam that one would expect from an SLR camera.

The latest XKCD comic seems kind of topical to this conversation. I cannot say that the context/mannerisms here seem any less odd than they seem there. A filter for a webcam pic? Really?

Noooo, I just mentioned that as added info., That filter is almost magical in its ability to make photos of girls improve.

AnlaShokGrey, you look lovely, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise :D .. but it helps that I know to not expect the same results from a webcam that one would expect from an SLR camera.

See, I KNEW I shouldn't have bothered.

Avatar (first option under Settings & Options) and profile picture (third option under Your profile) are two different things in the user CP. Is it possible that you changed your profile picture, but not your avatar?

Probable, in fact. :) Thanks very much, Kribu.

I've SEEN pictures of you (stuff you posted of yourself in the Philly area.), and what's in that avatar isn't you. Regarding how you see yourself in the mirror:
1. What distance from the mirror are you. Multiply that by two to get the distance that's comparable to a camera to subject distance.
2. In photography, portraits (designed to be natural and flattering), are usually taken between 6ft. and 8ft. away. That's what works.

Mac, if you're going by old pictures you've seen of me (and it sounds like you're maybe talking about my SyFy-wrapped car photo gallery), you've got outdated information. I've lost quite a bit of weight since then — QUITE a lot, if in fact those are the pictures you mean — and my face has changed. Markedly.

As for how far I stand from a mirror? You'd be surprised how close I get to a mirror every day. Eyebrow plucking, makeup application, and other girl-grooming gets done about an inch from said mirror.

I'm sure you're right about what's done *in photography*. However, the standards for internet avatars and profile pictues are *much* looser. Seriously, you can't think I'm the only person online who is using their monitor, at that distance, to take their avatar/profile picture?

(BTW, the new picture was taken from the same chair, the same (approx.) distance from the monitor, the same built-in Apple webcam. And it's *also* a few pounds less than the previous one.)

Last edited:

Chilli, that was quite hilarious (but XKCD often is)!

And thanks for the kind words. (BTW, it's Amy. Am I that much of a stranger here these days that people don't know that I'm Amy? Sob!)

Many folks have changed their names around here, and he's kind of a busy guy.

I took one look at your picture and could tell you lost weight, by the way. You look very good! :D congrats on that. Cameras do put on weight, that's true, don't let that bother you.

Chilli, that was quite hilarious (but XKCD often is)!

And thanks for the kind words. (BTW, it's Amy. Am I that much of a stranger here these days that people don't know that I'm Amy? Sob!)

I thought it was, but for the reason hyp gave, I was not 100% sure. And decided that going by nick was less potentially embarrasing than going by someone else's name :D

Well, this was definitely answered by a *guy*, because a girl would know: blurry is your friend. :-D

:)

"Blurry" covers a lot of territory. There's out-of-focus blurry, which is just awful, shoddy work. There's standard soft filter blurry, which accomplishes its effect by having one filter surface either rough (like it was sandblasted glass) or worse consist of a large number of small flat planes that are not parallel to the other filter surface (which bleeds colors due to a prism effect. <yuck>). There are also expensive Nikon DC (Defocus Control) Nikkor lenses which incrementally introduce aberrations to soften the image. Then there's the Nikon Soft 1 filter with its thin layer of vacuum deposited silver on one of the filter's flat surfaces.

A Nikon Soft 1 filter is every girl's best photographic friend. FYI, the Soft 2 is too much.

I thought the concept of this potential spinoff was great but the execution was pretty poor all around. I've never rewatched this movie or any of Crusade since they aired. The same is true of the Lost Tales DVD. I was of the opinion that the franchise may be better off continuing in new hands when LOTR aired. That certainly was unfair, especially due to the budgetary constraints he was forced to work with after moving to TNT.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back