• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Pseudo-Science In Some Sci-Fi Shows

It's been awhile, but doesn't the computer warn passengers that this is a low gravity area? Not 0, by the way, it would have some gravity, but it's true not much. (If there were no gravity, Sheridan wouldn't have fallen in the first place.) They also use handbars to aid in safely transporting themselves.

And anything special effects related I can forgive for not being shown exactly as it would be. Not like there is no gravity, but more like people moon walking, very light gravity, that moon-bounce thing going on. The plot works around it, and the computer voice obviously acknowlede it. That's good enough for me.

I'd rather have a great story with limited special effects than most of what we get today (great FX, lousy story).

hyp's right, there's a PA telling everyone that they are in a low-grav area and to hold on to the handrails. Since all the characters do, it's reasonable to assume they might be able to move normally -- or at least we can finesse it that way. My big laws-of-physics problem with that whole sequence in "Fall of Night" is something I never would have noticed until JMS pointed it out on the commentaries. Now it bugs me every time; I won't ruin it for you all unless you ask me to.

It's just a shame that they haven't been able to show the differences in gravity on various levels on B5, but doing so (with helium balloons as in the moonwalks in Apollo 13) would have been too expensive.

I think they actually filmed Apollo 13 in the "vomit comet" -- the plane that goes up and goes into free fall on the way back down. Or are you talking about Lovell's dream sequence?

It seems I forgot about the statement of the computer that it's a low-gravity area.Thanks Maneth.Of course the characters shouldn't be walking normally but jumping in a funny way like the astronauts on the moon but it's forgiven considering that it's a great B5 episode.

One other interesting thing about gravity is that Ivanova's hair should be floating in the air both in the transport carriage and in the Star Furies.Yes I know that it would look extremely funny to watch her hair this way during the battle in "Severe Dreams" for example but that's how it's supposed to look in 0g.

Last edited:
Could you either post it with spoiler code, or IM me, KoshFan? I'd like to know. :)

All you really have to do is watch "Fall of Night" with JMS's commentary on. If you don't feel like watching the whole thing, skip ahead to the sequence when Sheridan's "falling" out of the destroyed shuttle.

Truthseeker How did Aphophis dial out of the the gate room on Earth in the Pilot did I miss something perhaps? What happened to that remote dialing devise that they had?

Garovorkin I can't remember exactly but that's another good question.The computers were not working and even if they were the Goa'Uld had never seen modern Earth technology until the events in the movie.So we can conclude that the attack in the pilot was the first contact between Goa'Uld and Earthers for thousands of years so no matter how smart they are they couldn't possibly turn the gate on using Earth computers operating with totally unfamiliar software.

Last edited:
Garovorkin for some reason my post came before yours on the board.It has never happenned before.Maybe it has something to do with the time difference or my PC's time settings.

Truthseeker How did Aphophis dial out of the the gate room on Earth in the Pilot did I miss something perhaps? What happened to that remote dialing devise that they had?

This one has to do with the movie M nigh Shamaylans movie Signs and its a question that i never eve thought about untill Sam Carter on sg1 brought this in regards to the movie Signs, Why would Aliens who are alergic to water invade Earth in the first place, so here is case of a science fiction series pointing out a flaw in a science fiction movie. :):guffaw:

"Signs" was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.I wonder what the budget was-a million dollars;)?It was a typical example of cheating the viewers who expected a great Sci-Fi movie about the crop circles and instead they got a boring family drama.

I personally found Signs to be pretty creepy for a while -- the first look at the alien (on the TV) was truly unsettling. But then they started showing more and more of the alien, and it got less creepy, and the exact same question came to me as well -- any alien allergic to water would have turned left at Mars and given us a wide, wide berth.

SG-1 again.I wonder if the writers of that show consulted any physicists before writing some of the episodes.In the last one I watched how a Goa'Uld mothership stolen by SG-1 was sent to another galaxy due to a forced explosion of a whole star.SG-1 is driven 125 years away from the Milky Way Galaxy at maximum FTL speed.After that the mothership was invaded by Replicators which made the ship travel at .................800 times the speed of light so our fellows were back in the Milky Way galaxy in minutes.

I hope that one day we will be able to travel between galaxies within minutes but it just sounds too good to be true.

I think they actually filmed Apollo 13 in the "vomit comet" -- the plane that goes up and goes into free fall on the way back down. Or are you talking about Lovell's dream sequence?

That too. Although on second thought I had a bit of a brain fart when I posted that. Obviously I meant the Tom Hanks produced HBO show From the Earth to the Moon. :cardie:

Back