B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old November 30th 13, 01:18   #1
Aelwulf
Lurker
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Babylon 5 Customs?

I'm starting another run through of B5, and began by watching "Infection," and right off the bat I'm thinking "gee, Babylon 5 customs is the worst."

I mean really! When I last went to Hong Kong the inspection of my baggage was pretty thorough and conducted by a score of individuals at different ports. I'm now wondering if later episodes of B5 had examples of perhaps a better system for checking out cargo / luggage, or if it stayed pretty inept. I know - I know, at the time the customs weren't as strict as they are now, post-9/11, but still I remember traveling in the early nineties outside of the states and still having to go through pretty stringent practices for entering another country.
Aelwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th 13, 17:16   #2
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,907
Re: Babylon 5 Customs?

As I recall, most of the inspections are done by scanning, aren't they? Isn't that how they detected the Dust in "The Gathering" as well as Dureena's weapons in "A Call to Arms?

Jan
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd 13, 00:34   #3
RW7427
Moderator
 
RW7427's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NE of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 46,556
Re: Babylon 5 Customs?

Scanning would seem to make the most sense.
__________________
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd 14, 01:32   #4
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,540
Re: Babylon 5 Customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
As I recall, most of the inspections are done by scanning, aren't they? Isn't that how they detected the Dust in "The Gathering" as well as Dureena's weapons in "A Call to Arms?

Jan
In "Infection" an inspection was done by a guy physically poking through someone's luggage and noticing a false bottom. It's not really high-tech.
__________________
Sincerely,

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd 14, 01:36   #5
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,540
Re: Babylon 5 Customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelwulf View Post
I'm starting another run through of B5, and began by watching "Infection," and right off the bat I'm thinking "gee, Babylon 5 customs is the worst."

I mean really! When I last went to Hong Kong the inspection of my baggage was pretty thorough and conducted by a score of individuals at different ports. I'm now wondering if later episodes of B5 had examples of perhaps a better system for checking out cargo / luggage, or if it stayed pretty inept. I know - I know, at the time the customs weren't as strict as they are now, post-9/11, but still I remember traveling in the early nineties outside of the states and still having to go through pretty stringent practices for entering another country.
I think that's an "All the world is Hollywood" thing. H'wood just naturally assumes they know everything that's worth knowing, and what they don't know they can simply fake. Thus in Jericho, for instance, a town in central Kansas can see a city in Colorado blowing up. Or on X-files they can drive from NYC to DC in an hour. It's just bad writing.

Also: I'd be rather surprised if JMS had actually traveled terribly much out of the US prior to B5. This is a guy who's never driven a car.
__________________
Sincerely,

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th 14, 12:09   #6
Ragzus
Ranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 43
Re: Babylon 5 Customs?

I'd assuming scanning and that video was just to show the point of what happened as it being illegal figuring maybe it would've of made as much of a statement if it was done like morden does later.
Ragzus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st 14, 00:41   #7
JoeD80
Commander
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 171
Re: Babylon 5 Customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Also: I'd be rather surprised if JMS had actually traveled terribly much out of the US prior to B5. This is a guy who's never driven a car.
They have these things called planes that don't require the ability to drive a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
In "Infection" an inspection was done by a guy physically poking through someone's luggage and noticing a false bottom. It's not really high-tech.
They still do this in airports today if something looks off.

Last edited by JoeD80; January 21st 14 at 00:43.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2018 B5TV.COM