• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Canon Books/Comics - Worth a damn?

Ohmstar

[I'm new to this forum, but not forums in general. I did a search for similar posts but found nothing. If I missed a post covering the same topic, please feel free to let me know.]

I've been a fan of B5 for a long time. I've recently started watching the series in its entirety for the fifth time, and I decided I wanted to do it right, and include novels and comics in this. I was recently able to get my hands on all the B5 comics through my really awesome local comic shop.

I've also wanted to get my hands on the novels, which I have started doing. What I really want to know is if any of these things are worth reading. I love the B5 universe, and anything that expands on that universe seems worthwhile. But I've heard, aside from books 7, 9, and the trilogies, they're not really canon.

Worth reading? Are any of them better than the others?

Is that OmahaStar from JMS news perchance? Eitherway, welcome !

You are spot on with the novels and canon. The trilogies are all great, I'm read-reading the Psicorp ones now. Not read any others myself.

Comics were mostly scripts by JMS himself. Art is squiffy, but they are worth it. One arc fills in some gaps around Mars and the Shadow ship there.

One minor correction. The comics were written mostly by other writers than JMS because DC had a really odd policy whereby JMS could have creative control as long as he wasn't the writer.

Jan

One minor correction. The comics were written mostly by other writers than JMS because DC had a really odd policy whereby JMS could have creative control as long as he wasn't the writer.

Jan
That's odd. I'm glad DC has changed their policies on this.

Thank you both for the answers. Are the non-canon books any good?

That's odd. I'm glad DC has changed their policies on this.

There's two I haven't read, but, the rest, aren't bad, the writing is done well enough that you can still hear the characters voices as you read. It's been quite a while since I've read them, so I can't tell you what wasn't canonical about them, but, yea, I do recall raising my eyebrows at a couple of things. So, as long as you go in, knowing they aren't canon, and you don't pay in gold for them, they're worth at least one resding, IMHO.

It's been years since I read any of them but my memory says they went from mediocre to okay.

KoshN would probably be the best one to talk about the novels.

Jan

Ahh. I think he helped with the story ideas.
Yes, in some cases he did. the (I think) 2-issue 'Laser-Mirror-Starweb' by David Gerrold was actually a repurposed script for the show, though.

Trivia note. At one point Peter David's script outline for 'Soul Mates' was killed by JMS but when the story 'clicked' for him, Peter wrote the script against all advice on the pretext that he was doing it 'on spec' for the comic books and JMS bought it for the show after all.

Jan

[I'm new to this forum, but not forums in general. I did a search for similar posts but found nothing. If I missed a post covering the same topic, please feel free to let me know.]

I've been a fan of B5 for a long time. I've recently started watching the series in its entirety for the fifth time, and I decided I wanted to do it right, and include novels and comics in this. I was recently able to get my hands on all the B5 comics through my really awesome local comic shop.

I've also wanted to get my hands on the novels, which I have started doing. What I really want to know is if any of these things are worth reading. I love the B5 universe, and anything that expands on that universe seems worthwhile. But I've heard, aside from books 7, 9, and the trilogies, they're not really canon.

Worth reading? Are any of them better than the others?

I don't have all of the comics, but do have, and have read all of the books, some (#7 and the The Passing of the Technomages) twice. 7, 9, and the three DelRey trilogies are definitely worth reading. The six short stories that were published in Amazing Stories and Babylon 5 Crusade Magazine, are also worth reading, some more than others. The only short stories that are aren't quite as good as the rest, IMHO, are True Seeker and Space, Time and the Incurable Romantic. Unfortunately, the short stories are all out of print and the magazines are no more.

The novelizations are somewhat worthwhile, too. In the Beginning is the best. Next would come Thirdspace, also a Peter David novel, so it's no coincidence it being good. A Call to Arms clarified some things that were not apparent to me from the movie, but it has some annoying bits in it, as well. I don't care for Sheckley's writing and it contains quite a few stupid little errors.

I wouldn't bother with Dell #1 thru #6 and #8. #4 and #5 are especially bad. The best thing about #5 is the cover art. It's a huge, long build-up to a fizzle. #4 is actively bad, hideously bad.

Attached is some info. to help you find the books and short stories.
NOVELS:

Title: Book #1 Voices
Author: Vornholt, John
Timeframe: After Points of Departure & before A Race through Dark Places
Isbn1: 0-440-22057-2
Copyright1: March 1995
Publisher1: Dell

Title: Book #2 Accusations
Author: Tilton, Lois
Timeframe: After The Coming of Shadows & before All Alone in the Night.
Isbn1: 0-440-22058-0
Copyright1: May 1995

Title: Book #3 Blood Oath
Author: Vornholt, John
Timeframe: Historian's Note: This story takes place prior to the events in The Coming of Shadows.
Isbn1: 0-440-22059-9
Copyright1: October 1995

Title: Book #4 Clark's Law
Author: Mortimore, Jim
Timeframe: 11/15/2242 - 12/24/2259
Isbn1: 0-440-22229-X
Copyright1: February 1996

Title: Book #5 The Touch of Your Shadow, the Whisper of Your Name
Author: Barrett, Jr., Neal
Timeframe: Historian's Note: The events of this novel take place in early 2260, before A Day in the Strife.
Isbn1: 0-440-22230-3
Copyright1: April 1996

Title: Book #6 Betrayals
Author: Stirling, S.M.
Timeframe: Historian's Note: The year is 2259, during the Narn-Centauri War.
Isbn1: 0-440-22234-6
Copyright1: June 1996

Title: Book #7 The Shadow Within
Author: Cavelos, Jeanne
Timeframe: 11/2256 - 01/2257
Isbn1: 0-440-22348-2
Copyright1: April 1997
Isbn2: 0-345-45218-6
Copyright2: December 2002
Publisher2: DelRey

Title: Book #8 Personal Agendas
Author: Sarrantonio, Al
Timeframe: Historian's Note: The events of this novel take place in 2261, before Falling Toward Apotheosis.
Isbn1: 0-440-22351-2
Copyright1: May 1997

Title: Book #9 To Dream in the City of Sorrows
Author: Drennan, Kathryn M.
Timeframe Marcus in 10/2260, recalling events of 1/2259-9/2260.
Isbn1: 0-440-22354-7
Copyright1: July 1997
Isbn2: 0-345-45219-4
Copyright2: July 2003
Publisher2: DelRey

Title: Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps
Author: Keyes, J. Gregory
Timeframe: 2115-2189
Isbn1: 0-345-42715-7
Copyright1: October 1998
Publisher1: DelRey

Title: Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant
Timeframe: 2189-2258
Isbn1: 0-345-42716-5
Copyright1: March 1999

Title: Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester
Timeframe: 2271-2281
Isbn1: 0-345-42717-3
Copyright1: October 1999

Title: Legions of Fire - Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime
Author: David, Peter
Timeframe: ~10/2262-12/2266. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42718-1
Copyright1: December 1999

Title: Legions of Fire - Book II - Armies of Light and Dark
Timeframe: 12/14/2266-04/18/2272. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42719-X
Copyright1: May 2000

Title: Legions of Fire - Book III - Out of the Darkness
Timeframe: 05/14/2273-01/21/2277. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42720-3
Copyright1: November 2000

Title: The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book I - Casting Shadows
Timeframe: 11/2258-12/31/2258
Isbn1: 0-345-42721-1
Copyright1: March 2001

Title: The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light
Timeframe: 1/2259-2/2259
Isbn1: 0-345-42722-X
Copyright1: July 2001

Title: The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book III - Invoking Darkness
Timeframe: 8/2260-2261
Isbn1: 0-345-43833-7
Copyright1: December 2001

Title: A Call to Arms
Author: Sheckley, Robert
Timeframe: 12/2266-01/2267
Isbn1: 0-345-43155-3
Copyright1: January 1999

Title: In the Beginning
Timeframe: Events of 2245-2248, as told by Londo in 01/2277.
Isbn1: 0-345-42452-2
Copyright1: January 1998

Title: Thirdspace
Timeframe: 6/2261
Isbn1: 0-345-42454-9
Copyright1: July 1998

SHORT STORIES (all out of print, both magazines out of business):

Title: The Shadow of His Thoughts
Author: Straczynski, J. M.
Timeframe: 10/2262
Ss_pub_in: Amazing Stories
Ss_issue: Summer 1999, Number 597
Ss_commnts: The Londo Story

Title: Genius Loci
Timeframe: 01/2263
Ss_issue: Winter 2000, Number 599
Ss_commnts: The Lyta / G'Kar Story

Title: Space, Time, and the Incurable Romantic
Timeframe: 2560-2592
Ss_issue: Summer 2000, Number 602
Ss_commnts: The Marcus / Ivanova Story

Title: Hidden Agendas
Timeframe: 2262
Ss_pub_in: Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine
Ss_issue: May 2000, Number 22
Ss_commnts: The Ivanova/Warlock Destroyer/Ulkesh's Vorlon
Transport/Sheridan/Lyta Story

Title: True Seeker
Author: Avery, Fiona
Timeframe: late 2269
Ss_issue: July 2000, Number 23
Ss_commnts: The Narn Story (carries on from episode 17 "Legacies" http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/017.html )

Title: The Nautilus Coil
Timeframe: 2264~2265
Ss_issue: August 2000, Number 24
Ss_commnts: The Garibaldi/Lyta/Psi Corp/Vorlon story. Connects with "Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps"

SHORT STORIES (all out of print, both magazines out of business):

If I can be pedantic for a moment ... whilst that was the fate of Amazing Stories or their parent company, the publisher of B5 magazine simply chose to stop publishing it, presumably because of sales levels. Titan, the publishers (in the UK at leasy) are still very much going strong.

I'd love to see a short story collection. It would go nicely with some of the unpublished Crusade scripts. Any chance of this being cribbed together by the scripts team ?

I don't really know, at least as far as the short stories are concerned. I do know that Captain Jaclyn is aware how much fans want them but there may be a rights question since short stories don't have the same 'separation of rights' clause that scripts have in the WGA agreement. There's a good possibility that they'd need permission from WB and it might well require a hefty license fee. Plus, remember that JMS didn't write them all which complicates it even further.

As for the unproduced Crusade scripts, as far as I know, the plan is to include JMS's in the Crusade script books. Don't know about Fiona Avery's but I think there are enough non-JMS scripts to make up an 'Other Voices' book and, if so I'm sure Jaclyn would try to include that.

That's a pretty longwinded "I don't know", isn't it? ;)

Jan

If I can be pedantic for a moment ... whilst that was the fate of Amazing Stories or their parent company, the publisher of B5 magazine simply chose to stop publishing it, presumably because of sales levels. Titan, the publishers (in the UK at leasy) are still very much going strong.

Can people get copies of the B5/Crusade Magazine short stories from Titan?

^^Not any more. All of the back issues with the short stories in them have been sold out for quite a while. Ditto the Amazing Stories issues.

Jan

^^Not any more. All of the back issues with the short stories in them have been sold out for quite a while. Ditto the Amazing Stories issues.

Jan

It would seem though that if the publisher, Titan, thought there was demand for the Babylon 5 Short Stories, they could print more, or print the three short stories together, and sell it as a special or something. Maybe they'd have to get renewed rights from the authors (JMS, Fiona Avery & J. Gregory Keyes) and/or Warner Brothers. <shrug> Who knows.

It would seem though that if the publisher, Titan, thought there was demand for the Babylon 5 Short Stories, they could print more, or print the three short stories together, and sell it as a special or something. Maybe they'd have to get renewed rights from the authors (JMS, Fiona Avery & J. Gregory Keyes) and/or Warner Brothers. <shrug> Who knows.

If they don't have a license any more, they'd have to pay WB a license fee in addition to paying the writers since chances are they only paid for first printing rights. I doubt it would be profitable for them.

Jan

If they don't have a license any more, they'd have to pay WB a license fee in addition to paying the writers since chances are they only paid for first printing rights. I doubt it would be profitable for them.

Jan

SNAFU ! We are strangled in red tape. Well, ....I'm not; I have my set, all six, with the Amazing Stories issues stored in their original plastic. I got a subscription just to be sure not to miss any of the B5 short stories. ;)

How in the eff could I read these?

What do you mean?

• the books that are hard to find (The Passing of the Techno-mages Book 2 "Summoning Light" and Legions of Fire Book 3 "Out of the Darkness")?
  • the six short stories that are hard to find?
  • the comics?

Without a quote to indicate specifically what you're referring to, it's hard to give you a good answer. Maybe you're talking about all of it (referring to the thread title)? Maybe you're referring only to the short stories (the subject of my April 7th 09 21:10 post)? :wtf:

Maybe you could buy the stuff that's still easy to find, and borrow the hard to find stuff from a fellow B5er.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back