• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Wars Trailer, link here!

I don't see myself foaming at the mouth.

I just see myself avoiding lot of long lines and not owning DVDs of the Star Wars series.

Cool, it saves me money and alot of hassle. ;)

Star Wars is about cheese; Vader's marching into the Tantive in ANH is totally cheesy but people liked cheese like that then and ignore it that it's cheesy now. :rolleyes:

That my friend is a VERY subjective statement.

I still think the first time ol' Darth walks in (SW:ANH) with that classic John Williams music is rockin' awesome! ;)

That my friend is a VERY subjective statement.

One, I don't know you, so we are by and far not friends.

Two, if it is subjective then so was the statement of Vader's appearance in the trailer also subjective, and as such then the two comments are on the same playing field and so is no conflict. The genre that Star Wars is is of the old matinee serials, which is contains in large quantity the quality of cheesiness. People want to forget this, but it's a part of what the movies are.

I'm inclined to agree with ARK1701 here. Vader's first appearance in ANH is awesome, in my opinion. I personally don't see what's so cheesy about it.

He stomps in all full of pomp with obviousness that he's the villain, stops and stares, and then stomps off. It's a purposefully overblown, evil villain cackling type of entrance. Fun cheese, but cheese nonetheless.

I thought Vader looked like the front end of a Corvette, on a human body. Star Wars was obviously intended to be a bit cheesey, since it was a take off on the old movie serials of the 30's, 40's and 50's. While I, too, would like for Lucas to make available the original release versions of SW, and doubtless he makes some marketing decisions based on profit potential, I don't think his real motivation is monetary. I think he believes in what he does, artistically, and as a craftsman. Even if I do fault him for making what I consider, in the prequels especially, to be films that are a bit too childish, and obvious.

I'm too tired and a bit too drunk to ask what the fuck? :confused:

O.K. so the folk who defend the new Star Wars and the edited old Star Wars are now calling the actual original Star Wars (James Earl Jones and all) version corny?

:confused:

O.K.

I think I have lost all ability to relate anymore. :confused:

Two, if it is subjective then so was the statement of Vader's appearance in the trailer also subjective, and as such then the two comments are on the same playing field and so is no conflict.

I agree, which is why I said
I still think the first time ol' Darth walks in (SW:ANH) with that classic John Williams music is rockin' awesome! ;)

It wasn't meant in a "matter of fact" context. I was just making clear that any time you/me/anyone are making a statement about taste, it will ALWAYS be subjective.

I don't see how the existance of foaming at the mouth fans who vehemently hate the new films and eagerly jump at the opportunity to let everyone know would in any way not stand counter to his hiring people to work on his projects that share his vision easily. I seriously doubt that Lucas has become some crazy old wizard oblivious to how many people hate him and the story he's finishing telling.

My parents bought the DVD set, and I was watching the documentaries, and they practically present Lucas as a bona fide control freak with next to no sense of humour.

I'll be first to admit that Lucas is a genius with visuals. But as a writer, or as an actor-friendly director, he's not very good.

People's losing the ability to view the films as works of art is a problem with the people doing the viewing, not the works of art themselves.

I think you're wrong. Some people, myself included, see the original trilogy as a work of art, and Lucas's reworking is akin to scribbling a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

And I'll laugh in the face of anyone that describes AOTC as a "work of art". That was a pathetic movie, and I have very low expectations for Episode 3, because the problems in AOTC a present in progressively smaller quantities in his earlier movies.

Yes, rich people can get greedy, but there's nothing to suggest that Lucas is like that.

I attribute Lucas's Soviet-Revisionism-esque approach to the original trilogy to him being a control freak, not greedy.

My parents bought the DVD set, and I was watching the documentaries, and they practically present Lucas as a bona fide control freak with next to no sense of humour.

I agree. You are lucky if the sculptor doesn't have to change the ear for a character less than ten times.

And I'll laugh in the face of anyone that describes AOTC as a "work of art". That was a pathetic movie, and I have very low expectations for Episode 3, because the problems in AOTC a present in progressively smaller quantities in his earlier movies.

To me they are mainly pretty effects, with maybe 15% story surrounded by bluescreen, which i think is a good one but not all that good so far. Until cooler (cooler to me) space battles and saber fights in the big screen come along, i'll continue to worship this guy.

Stepping in poop, cuddliness, and aliens who don't speak perfect English isn't part of what wasn't capable of being produced in the days of the old films, and none of those things were added to the old films when Lucas went back over them and put down another layer of paint. The three things you listed were present in ONE SINGLE FILM the purpose of which was to show a period of time that was "before the dark times, before the Empire."

So you've heard the supposedly verified rumor that Yoda farts in this movie? I suppose it will make him more real, but jeez.

Right. Like you can trust theforce.net these days. If I sent them an email claiming to be a ILM animator saying the Star Wars Kid kills Dooku and Palpatine makes him Sith Lord they would post it in their main site as a spy report.

Stepping in poop, cuddliness, and aliens who don't speak perfect English isn't part of what wasn't capable of being produced in the days of the old films, and none of those things were added to the old films..
People's losing the ability to view the films as works of art is a problem with the people doing the viewing, not the works of art themselves.

Yes, rich people can get greedy, but there's nothing to suggest that Lucas is like that. All there are are bitter people who like the old films because of where they were in their lives at the time they originally saw them who now possess no objectability to see the films for what they are and only can see the films for what they felt at the time they first saw them years ago.

You prove my point for me. Putting goofy robot fights or changing the introduction of a main character so there is no character arc is not a matter of conforming to the original vision. On the seperate issue of the new trilogy(pidgen english was only in the new but not so for the character change) you can certainly show lightheartedness without poop jokes. People I know who saw the old versions about the same time as the new version/new tril noticed a different sense of humor, not every criticisim is based on wanting a return to childhood.

If you change a work of art it becomes a different work of art. If you put mutton chops and an Elvis wig on "David" it is not the people's fault if they still want to see the original.

Foaming at the mouth ehh? You completely missed the point. Isolation changing someone doesn't rely on fans foaming or not. Access to talent is not the issue, decades away from a normal life is bound to change you.

There is plenty to suggest Lucas is greedy even though I don't think that's why he changed the movies. It doesn't matter since I was simply pointing out that your previous suggestion that Lucas being rich made it impossible to be greedy was nonsense.

You can criticize something without foaming at the mouth. To suggest anything else is just silly.

I don't know that Lucas is greedy. He certainly does want to make for money for Lucasfilm. Releasing the Special Edition on VHS was a sure fire way to raise ongoing capital for the new trilogy, making them the most expensive independent films ever made. So it's not really greed, just clever business sense. If he makes it, someone will buy it.... and then complain that Lucas tricked him.

As for Lucas changing the old films. It's a mixed bag. Some good, some bad. I was really surprised they didn't change Palpatine in Empire last time, but they finally got it now. Other things they changed really didn't need it. I felt the changes near the end of Empire really threw off the timing. I'm still curious to see the Special, Special, Special DVD Edition and will get around to it eventually.

Lucas doesn't seem humorless to me. He is picky as hell, though, and surrounded by yes men and women, especially Lord Ass-kisser in Chief, Rick McCallum. All you have to do is watch the special feature on the Phantom Menace and watch everyone waiting for Lucas to say something so they could jump in and agree.

The most ridiculous part was George's justification for casting Jake Lloyd over another kid. Lucas says the other kid is "too polished" (i.e. could act) and Jake is "more spontaneous" (i.e. can't remember or deliver his lines). The weird thing was that, of the two, Jake Lloyd was already in a major motion picture. So Lucas makes his statement and the minions proceed to throw the other kid under the bus. Very funny.

Dear Fas

I applaud your opinion that this new trilogy kicks ass. It's good to know, that even somebody somewhere really accepted Jar Jar to be a part of the Star Wars universe. Me, myself and I however, did not.

I do not complain that "it's all to digital" nono. There's nothing wrong with CGI or that some actors are replaced by CGI characters etc. But as a whole movie, Phantom menace was boring. And no, I'm not saying that because I hate Lucas or some shit like that. I don't accept it as SW movie, it's cheesy as hell. Even cheesier than the coming of Darth Vader some centuries ago. I do however, like Attack of The Clones. I do like the digitally enhanced SW trilogy more than the original one.

My point? Altough these new movies don't deserve all that bashing that they've got, they do deserve some of it. And I do really hope that Episode 3 will be a kick-ass movie. CGI or not, if it's done with style and professionaly, I do care not about it. It doesn't irritate me. As long as it works. In Jar Jar's case, it didn't. It created totally unbelievable and stupid character.

Long live and prosper.

Latest posts

Members online

Back