• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Wars Sept 21st release

I watched A New Hope last night and was amazed at how wonderful the film looks after all these years. Truly breath taking, not perfect but when the source material is so old it really is a very good job.

. Look at what the man has achieved in his career, not only has he created a trilogy that lingers in pop culture almost 25 years latter but has changed the movie making world. He has introduced us to the world of special effects with ILM, huge orchestrated magical scores, Skywalker sound, Lucas film, Lucasarts, his company created the forerunner of Avid, founded Pixar, owns all the rights to his own movies and can chose to finance any project he wants.

Whether all of this has actually benefited cinema is a matter of opinion. When one looks at the styles and quality of filmmaking since Star Wars, I'll leave it up to the individual to decide if the general direction of mainstream film is ultimately more satisfying compared to where it was before 1977.

I've now watched all three movies on DVD and I must say that I am pretty impressed, with the exception of adding Hayden to the end of Jedi. The picture quality is awesome, looking like it's brand new. I now think that the prequel trilogy will blend in nicely with this one. I'm glad I bought them, and I do recommend getting them.

I don't regret buying the set. Greedo is less awful. I know that the Rancor sound came from a weiner dog along with other cool stuff. The picture and sound are quite good and I didn't notice the problems they found over at the digital bits.

I've pinpointed the two scenes that make the Ewoks so annoying to me(for Jar Jar it's every time he opens his mouth). Both are battle scenes. The first is the Ewoks clubbing the troopers and the second is when they're dropping rocks on them. The rest of the fight scene is at least believable if you get past teddy bear warriors but for those two it seems as if they're trying to tickle people to death. I actually think without these two shots the teddy bears would be bearable.

Did you notice at the end of Jedi where they added a celebration scene of Naboo, you can clearly hear Jar Jar saying "We'sa free!"? They just couldn't resist, could they? :rolleyes:

I don't know, but just remember, Chewbacca was still alive, as were Vader, Yoda and the Emperor shortly before. Yoda himself was 900.

I looked and listened very closely and couldn't see or hear Jar Jar in there.

Yes, I have to admit I broke down and bought it. I was my own birthday gift to myself.

Yes, Lucas changed things and I'm not to happy about them. But I lost my VHS copies of the original and Speical Editions in a number of mishaps a few years ago and can't see the logic in depriving myself of the pleasure of seeing these movies just cause Lucas is a perfectionist.

(I was in a Rite-Aid and it was an impulse buy. :p)

Hee hee. :p
You are banished from the order now... :p :p :p

No, I know Lucas knows his marketing. Just let us old fogies fuss and ignore us. He knows his market and he'll make himself an even richer man as time goes by. If he wants to change his own work he can.

Let me know when the sock puppet version is available on DVD. ;)

I got my copy of the DVDs in the mail earlier this week, but I've only watched ANH so far (without commentary). I've been more busy working my way through the fourth season of Angel since I got that before SW.

I watched ANH with the commentary (since I could probably quote lines from the movie verbatim I've seen it so much) and the main documentary on the Bonus disc. I knew he never expected the movie to do anywhere nera what it did but I never knew the damn thing almost crashed and burned during the filming.

Since I have tomorrow off for the b-day, I will probably blow through the rest of the disc then.

Whether all of this has actually benefited cinema is a matter of opinion. When one looks at the styles and quality of filmmaking since Star Wars, I'll leave it up to the individual to decide if the general direction of mainstream film is ultimately more satisfying compared to where it was before 1977.

Lucas made the technology he is not responsible that for what people used it for. The truth is in the 70’s the studios sold their business to the advertisers who only know how to make a movie by the numbers, blame the studios not SW. SW should people what could be achieved and ultimately Hollywood in not the all and be all of film, if you want innovative and a more satisfying film experience I suggest you try out some of the stuff currently being made in South Korea. I found some their films to be awesome and far beyond where Hollywood currently is. But saying that I still love my summer blockbusters which I will take any day over romanticised so called films from the golden era.

I don't "blame" him for anything, and it's not about technology. Star Wars was a key ingredient (along with Jaws) that created the whole "blockbuster" element, which IMO is for the worse. Films would become about marketing, overly-simplistic cartoon-like nonsense. I refer to story, characters, demographics, etc, not SFX.

Major studio film now caters to the blockbuster, and it's to the point that films have to be bigger, louder, and stupider to make money.

jesus christ.. it's not like the movies are that different to to originals now are they? don't bitch about tiny sorry i ment TINY things like this if there's horrible wrongness, ie no more b5 (atleast at the moment) going on at the same time

Back