• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Thirdspace

Thirdspace

• A -- Excellent

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • B -- Good

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • C -- Average

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • D -- Poor

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • F -- Failure

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
It was alright though not up to the standards of ItB or CtA. I just wonder what those anti-life aliens did to pass the time for all those thousands of years when the gate was closed. They must be wicked Solitaire players...

for me thirdspace is the worst thing to have ever come out of the mind of JMS. utter failure.

No, that would be Byron.

Thirdspace had its moments though:

Lyta and Zack in the elevator

Vir saying "Why are you hitting me?"

Sheridan nuking something yet again...I wonder if as President he kept a stash of nukes on Minbar for when diplomacy did not work.

No, that would be Byron.

Sheridan nuking something yet again...I wonder if as President he kept a stash of nukes on Minbar for when diplomacy did not work.

i stand corrected, i thought i had purged the horror that was byron from my mind, but you brought the flashbacks flooding back. some people never got over 'nam, or the time their band opened for nirvana, i never got over byron. but true enough thirdspace did have a moment, lyta and zach in the elevator, tie that in with the rest of the zach\lyta\byron stuff and it only gets sadder, i always felt for him over that, i think it was a lot like marcus and susan, except that lyta never seemed to notice the way zach looked at her or treated her.

It does a much better job than ItB of capturing the B5 spirit, and it's better at playing to B5's strengths (the characters and the effects), so I think it's the better movie (after watching it for the first time my brother decided it was the best instalment of B5 to that point).

As it doesn't impinge too much on the main story, I also think it's one of the best starting points for people new to B5. My only real complaint is that the filler material - that interminable scene with Zack and Lyta in the elevator, which was written during the production to fill the time, and all those staged fights in the Zocalo, weren't especially well integrated.

And at the end, when Sheridan sums up and says something like 'the main thing is everyone's okay,' his definition of 'everyone' doesn't seem to extend to all the maintenance techs, IPX employees, Starfury pilots and Whitestar crews we saw getting killed during the movie. Also I wish Netter Digital had spent more time doing effects for early season 5, and less doing post on Thirdspace, because I believe they were still working on it well into S5's production.

Otherwise it's great. A- :) :)

From memory: On the low end of C (Average), C- to D+. Story seemed very thin, like it was 44 minutes of content stretched to cover 88 minutes. Some bad acting (Shari Belafonte). Bad fight scene between Ivanova and Trent, didn't sell it, obvious misses, needed better sound effects in the fight scene. GREAT CGI effects. I was unable to suspend disbelief when the alien was revealed. Looked like CGI/cartoonish. I thought the Shadow Soldier in The Long Dark was done better, i.e. less is more. Lack of follow-through on the final moments of the gate, no wide shot, which I think it needed..

for me thirdspace is the worst thing to have ever come out of the mind of JMS. utter failure.

Good grief, no. It's not worse that To Live and Die in Starlight, or did you forget that one. Mindwipe involved?

No, that would be Byron.

The comedy worked.

Sheridan, "Can you swing by and pick me up on your way in?"
Delenn, "Of course, in the fullness of time."
Sheridan, "And how long is that? This isn't funny Delenn."
Delenn, "Yes it is."
Sheridan, "Oh, no it isn't!"

Zack, "Well, maybe it is for the best. Three dates and I probably would have married her."

Zack, "Maybe there is just a lot of full moons out there, somewhere, lined up, beaming bozo rays into everybody's brains."

Well I'll get pelters but this was my favourite film.A good action packed Sci Fi film.The fact that there was all the background on the characters helped but as a film I think this one worked the best.

Then again I do love kick ass space battles and I think the one in this movie is superb.For some reason the Thirdspace aliens made me think of Cthulhu and maybe that struck a nerve too.

Big A from me :)

Reminds me of an adaptation of a silly old joke:

# thirdspacer has joined #firstones

<thirdspacer> ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

<shadow> don't paste perl in here

# thirdspacer was kicked from #firstones by vorlon

(With all due apologies to people who write in Perl - it's not a bad language, it's just that great evil can be done with its syntax. ;) I'll go fetch my flameproof suit now. :D )

Last edited:
It does rely on multiple references, which could be its downfall as a joke.

You need to know something about Perl (like what kind of syntax is possible in that language). Then you'll understand why Cthulhu trying to communicate over IRC might be mistaken for someone pasting Perl. And finally you need to know about "what's the best programming language" flamewars, which have the regularity and temperament of Shadow wars, a thousand times their frequency and lack the casualties only because weapons of mass destruction tend to be unavailable. :p

If you know the background, you may find it quite fun. I did... but perahps I have a silly sense of humor. :)

Last edited:
Of course I wikipedia'd it immediately after posting, but then couldn't be bothered to edit the post (damn Wikipedia for taking all the mystery out of my life :) ). I didn't know about the connection to Thirdspace, though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back