• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who Series 6

vacantlook

Super Moderator
We had a thread last season for the show, I figure we should have one again this season. And seeing as tonight was the season premier (at least here in the US), I thought I'd go ahead and get a thread going for it.

And I notice that we've also got a thread up in the B5.personnel forum about how there's a B5 alum in the premier episode. :)

As for my personal thoughts on tonight's episode, I'm not sure what I think yet. It almost felt short, but maybe that's got something to do with it being a two-parter. I do enjoy the look of the aliens; they've definitely got a bit of a freak-factor going on.

I'm at work, and haven't seen it yet. Someone on the AVS forum told me that it is available in HD on Comcast OnDemand, so I hope to find it there. I do have Comcast, and BBCA. We are supposed to get BBCAHD soon. I read that Nixon looks and sounds more like LBJ... :eek:

We had a thread last season for the show, I figure we should have one again this season. And seeing as tonight was the season premier (at least here in the US), I thought I'd go ahead and get a thread going for it.

And I notice that we've also got a thread up in the B5.personnel forum about how there's a B5 alum in the premier episode. :)

Yeah it was great to see W. Morgan Sheppard again... I had no idea he was his son's father... if you take my meaning.

As for my personal thoughts on tonight's episode, I'm not sure what I think yet. It almost felt short, but maybe that's got something to do with it being a two-parter. I do enjoy the look of the aliens; they've definitely got a bit of a freak-factor going on.

The oversized heads with slimy skull like faces make them really sinister... especially when they lack a mouth.

I really like the episode and jotted a few thoughts down on my blog. I think Moffatt really knows how to tap into human primal fears and curiosities... which is what DW is all about. He also knows how to ratchet up the tension. How do you add peril to a character who is seemingly unkillable?

Spoiler for :
You bypass their get out clause and kill them!

I don't think the plot will resolve by doing a simple retcon. Moffatt seems to be deliberately playing with that by having Amy do what she did in the cliffhanger. He might do timeywimey... but he'll do it in a smart way. He's far classier than RTD.

I thought there were some nice parallels with Easter too.

I don't know if Stateside got the tribute show "My Sarah Jane" following on from the premiere. If you can find it, it's definitely worth a look... very moving and you can see how much Elisabeth Sladen meant to the people who worked with her.

All I remember seeing re: Elisabeth Sladen was a simple placard "in memory of".

The aliens have a wonderful in the shadows, conspiratorial, traditional old american secret invasion style to them. They're a good bit X-Files/Roswell-ish, but of course I expect their story will be far more resolved than whatall we got from X-Files.

Spoiler for :
I take it we're left to assume/understand these aliens are connected to the events last season in "The Lodger", given that the room River and Rory end up in has the same pillars and control mechanisms as the not-really-a-second-floor in "The Lodger".

I wonder if Amy is actually pregnant. They had her feeling sick to her stomach, but then, she felt that way after she had seen one of the aliens, and so did River later on.

If this season is written as much of a full unit as last season was, I imagine we won't truly find out about what all was going on re: the Doctor's being shot dead until the end of the season.

All I remember seeing re: Elisabeth Sladen was a simple placard "in memory of".

The aliens have a wonderful in the shadows, conspiratorial, traditional old american secret invasion style to them. They're a good bit X-Files/Roswell-ish, but of course I expect their story will be far more resolved than whatall we got from X-Files.

Spoiler for :
I take it we're left to assume/understand these aliens are connected to the events last season in "The Lodger", given that the room River and Rory end up in has the same pillars and control mechanisms as the not-really-a-second-floor in "The Lodger".

I wonder if Amy is actually pregnant. They had her feeling sick to her stomach, but then, she felt that way after she had seen one of the aliens, and so did River later on.

If this season is written as much of a full unit as last season was, I imagine we won't truly find out about what all was going on re: the Doctor's being shot dead until the end of the season.

I think that's a fair assessment... but I think you'll find the Silence have a connection to a lot of other stuff that's less obvious.

Spoiler for As for Amy & River:
Some are speculating that Amy is pregnant with River... and that River is also the child in the astronaut suit... and that the sickness in both of them could also have something to do with the Rivers crossing into each others timeline).

Oh and Doctor Who Series 5 has 3 Hugo nominations now.
Much as I love the Moff's writing, I think Vincent and the Doctor has the strongest chance of bringing the booty home for DW.

Spoiler for As for Amy & River:
Some are speculating that Amy is pregnant with River... and that River is also the child in the astronaut suit... and that the sickness in both of them could also have something to do with the Rivers crossing into each others timeline).

I had actually had a similar thought, but didn't let myself entertain that thought much because I don't know how I'd feel about it.

I think the aliens look like a cross between the traditional "greys," and the face in the famous Munch painting, "The Shout."

If anyone in the US has OnDemand on their cable system, and it has BBCA, like Comcast does, I strongly recommend watching the Doctor there. I was able to watch it in HD, (SD also available,) without commercials, animated bugs, or squished credits. MUCH better than watching it on the regular channel!

I liked the opening EP. I will be watching it again, just before I watch part 2.

I think the aliens look like a cross between the traditional "greys," and the face in the famous Munch painting, "The Shout."

If anyone in the US has OnDemand on their cable system, and it has BBCA, like Comcast does, I strongly recommend watching the Doctor there. I was able to watch it in HD, (SD also available,) without commercials, animated bugs, or squished credits. MUCH better than watching it on the regular channel!

I liked the opening EP. I will be watching it again, just before I watch part 2.
Good Call JJ, they did in fact mention the Munch painting as an influence (Or rather their intention is the Munch painting was influenced by the Silents)

About the Spoilered part, in some ways it works, puts everything in a neat little package, in other ways I'm not sure, and it seems to hinder the possibility of Ret-conning the Death (Let's face it, the Series Premiere got 37% of the viewing audience, there's no way the BBC wants to kill the Doctor off at the end of Matt Smith's tenure, so, somehow, they've got to retcon the death (Perhaps the scene will be repeated at the end of Matt Smith's tenure, and instead of being dead, dead, he'll be allowed to regenerate into the next Doctor?)

I really enjoyed the episode myself, I like Time paradoxes, and Wibbly-Wobbly-Timey-Wimey plots in Doctor Who. Really surprised by the vehemence of a small portion of Internet posters I've seen. I mean, sure with every episode of any show, you can expect a few who didn't enjoy it, but, some of the negative reveiws are off the chart

Last edited:
About the Spoilered part, in some ways it works, puts everything in a neat little package, in other ways I'm not sure, and it seems to hinder the possibility of Ret-conning the Death (Let's face it, the Series Premiere got 37% of the viewing audience, there's no way the BBC wants to kill the Doctor off at the end of Matt Smith's tenure, so, somehow, they've got to retcon the death (Perhaps the scene will be repeated at the end of Matt Smith's tenure, and instead of being dead, dead, he'll be allowed to regenerate into the next Doctor?)

Spoiler for For The Doctor:
Smith said in an interview it will definitely be resolved in this series.

I really enjoyed the episode myself, I like Time paradoxes, and Wibbly-Wobbly-Timey-Wimey plots in Doctor Who. Really surprised by the vehemence of a small portion of Internet posters I've seen. I mean, sure with every episode of any show, you can expect a few who didn't enjoy it, but, some of the negative reveiws are off the chart

Some people are actively trying to spoil things for Smith & the Moff because they are still suffering a post Tennant hangover. They should not be taken too seriously.

Regarding the events early in the episode re: the Doctor...

Spoiler for :
I haven't ever seen any Doctor Who before Eccleston, but am I correct in understanding that prior to that there had been some Doctor lore introduced in the show that said the Doctor only had a certain number of regenerations that he could perform? Perhaps the Doctor's death at the beginning of the first episode had something to do with some plan of his to eliminate that regenerative limit.

Or perhaps it was a total ruse devised by the doctor. He said he was trying to stop running. Maybe he had atracted unwanted attention, someone was chasing him through time, and his death was a trick he was using to make whatever was chasing him think he was dead. He would need the death to seem real, so he needed his closest friends and the like to display genuine grief for the chasing party to think it was real.

Just two options I've thought of.

Spoiler for :
I haven't ever seen any Doctor Who before Eccleston, but am I correct in understanding that prior to that there had been some Doctor lore introduced in the show that said the Doctor only had a certain number of regenerations that he could perform? Perhaps the Doctor's death at the beginning of the first episode had something to do with some plan of his to eliminate that regenerative limit.

Or perhaps it was a total ruse devised by the doctor. He said he was trying to stop running. Maybe he had atracted unwanted attention, someone was chasing him through time, and his death was a trick he was using to make whatever was chasing him think he was dead. He would need the death to seem real, so he needed his closest friends and the like to display genuine grief for the chasing party to think it was real.

Spoiler for :
Brain of Morbius limited it to 13 generations... which would mean 2 more after Smith, the latter of which would present the danger of the Valeyard being manifested. You could argue technically that there's only one more because of the "almost regeneration" we had with Tennant. Whether or not the Doctor used it to change.... that same amount of energy was expended as would have been used in a standard regeneration. However, in a recent SJA adventure The Doctor quipped the number was a lot higher. Honestly there are so many theories abounding about it, it gets more complicated than trying to work out how Easter is calculated. Suffice it to say that I anticipate that the Moff will do something to re-establish the Doctor's longevity which is a bit more credible.

What's clear to me is that the Doctor was quite aware he was going to die. It's not a ruse... his body was destroyed (however I'd be interested to know where the heck the TARDIS was). Either it's a clone (a rumour of which has circulated since last year), but that doesn't appear to track with that Doctor's 200 years worth of added experiences.

Moff said it was going to be dark. If the river theory is true... what's darker than Amy shooting her own future daughter to protect the Doctor from being shot by that same daughter... who is also River.

Spoiler for :

Spoiler for :
Brain of Morbius limited it to 13 generations... which would mean 2 more after Smith, the latter of which would present the danger of the Valeyard being manifested. You could argue technically that there's only one more because of the "almost regeneration" we had with Tennant. Whether or not the Doctor used it to change.... that same amount of energy was expended as would have been used in a standard regeneration. However, in a recent SJA adventure The Doctor quipped the number was a lot higher. Honestly there are so many theories abounding about it, it gets more complicated than trying to work out how Easter is calculated. Suffice it to say that I anticipate that the Moff will do something to re-establish the Doctor's longevity which is a bit more credible.

What's clear to me is that the Doctor was quite aware he was going to die. It's not a ruse... his body was destroyed (however I'd be interested to know where the heck the TARDIS was). Either it's a clone (a rumour of which has circulated since last year), but that doesn't appear to track with that Doctor's 200 years worth of added experiences.

Moff said it was going to be dark. If the river theory is true... what's darker than Amy shooting her own future daughter to protect the Doctor from being shot by that same daughter... who is also River.

Spoiler for :
One theory about where the Tardis is, is that, that, is where the underwater Astronaut came from (IE: If it's another version of the Doctor, he got in the space suit, and swam out of the Tardis, and then went back. If it's a version of River, that's why the Doctor taught River to fly the Tardis, etc)

Ah, I wanted to add a `spoilered` comment but couldn't see how to do it, alas. (Couldn't find it in FAQs, either. But I am a bear of small brain so please forgive my inadequacies.)

Ah, I wanted to add a `spoilered` comment but couldn't see how to do it, alas. (Couldn't find it in FAQs, either. But I am a bear of small brain so please forgive my inadequacies.)

Happy to oblige

add [ spoiler = ] (minus spaces) and close with [ / spoiler ] (also minus spaces).

Heh, yea, I always have difficulty remembering how to myself, and think there should be a basic "How to" in the FAQ

Now, I just quote someone else's post that has a spoiler, to look at the tags :D

add [ spoiler = ] (minus spaces) and close with [ / spoiler ] (also minus spaces).

I want to emphasize the equals sign; it's important to include the = after the word spoiler in the opening tag, even if you do not add anything afterward to specify what the spoiler is for.

Thank you very much, peoples :thumbsup:. How nice for 3 different folks to come to the aid of this novice.

Here's my spoiler, then:
Spoiler for River:
Referring to River (and how good it is that we have two great River characters in our SF :)), she has admitted that the one she shot was "a good man, a very good man". Perhaps another little thought to add into the mix.

And I agree with those above who are confident that SM is such a good writer (it was `Blink` that brought me firmly back to the new DW) that he will have thought out very carefully how these apparent paradoxes will be solved. (Indeed, I am confident the entire arc, as with the previous series, is a wonderfully coherent whole, teasing us with all sorts of details about which we can conjecture - just as our favourite writer did consistently.)

Here's my spoiler, then:
Spoiler for River:
Referring to River (and how good it is that we have two great River characters in our SF :)), she has admitted that the one she shot was "a good man, a very good man". Perhaps another little thought to add into the mix.

Spoiler for River:
I suspect that River killed her husband. She will turn out to be a Drahvin, they are the ultimate black widows..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/characters/Drahvin

Amy may also be a Drahvin, either all of her life or a clone introduced later.

It is very interesting That the Doctor is killed at a body of Water, and he calls Amy POND and RIVER Song to observe his death.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back