• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Crusade: The Well Of Forever

The Well Of Forever

• A -- Excellent

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • B -- Good

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • C -- Average

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • D -- Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F -- Failure

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Initially, I wasn't happy that they didn't find anything medically useful, but the more I watch this, the more I like it, for its character moments.

'A'

This episode and "Path of Sorrows" are among my favorite from the short run of Crusade because they get to the emotional core of the characters. In this case, Galen.

This episode and "Path of Sorrows" are among my favorite from the short run of Crusade because they get to the emotional core of the characters. In this case, Galen.

"The Path of Sorrows" is also a favorite of mine, and the one TNT absolutely hated.

Don't know if you're aware of this, but:

Racing the Night
The Needs of Earth
The Memory of War
and
The Long Road

...Polls are also up. It's just that the "Default Thread Age Cut Off" in
http://www.b5tv.com/profile.php?do=editoptions doesn't go far back enough to show 'em.

I changed mine to "Show all threads"

The "Racing the Night" poll is the earliest one and was started April 27th.

In the Technomage Trilogy, the Well of Forever was given as the place of origin for Technomage "tech". We later find out in the books that
Spoiler for Technomage Trilogy:
the "tech" comes from the Shadows, and we also see a scene near the end where Galen witnesses a chrysalis being manufactured on Z'ha'dum from the live body of a captive Minbari--supposedly revealing that the tech is made from the nervous systems of sentient beings, right there on Z'ha'dum.
So it surprised me that this "Well of Forever" was someplace else entirely, unless I missed something in the books.

In the Technomage Trilogy, the Well of Forever was given as the place of origin for Technomage "tech".

Hmmm, I don't remember THAT, and that's something that I WOULD remember. Care to cite the book and page #?

I remember the Well of Forever as a burial place that answered questions rather than the source of Technomage "Tech".

I remember the Well of Forever as a burial place that answered questions rather than the source of Technomage "Tech".

That was just Galen's ruse for getting to go there in the Excalibur, a ruse that disappointed Gideon. Remember their exchange in the gym near the end?

It's this episode and The Needs of Earth that give me the impression that Matheson was bending the rules with his telepathic ability and using them for benevolent purposes. His exchange with Galen concerning Isabelle seems to point to this.

The case for this?

1. Telepathic ability is increased in hyperspace
2. Telepaths can pick up emotions more easily without gloves anyway.
3. Telepaths pick strong emotions up more easily and don't need to go poking around for them.

Galen's emotions must have been running strong given his entire reason for being where he was (and his reaction to Matheson's attempt to be spontaneously kind show this).

Are we expected to believe Matheson just happened to randomly stumble upon that strange subspace message... or is it not far more likely that he went looking for it in response tgo a need he saw in Galen?

I think we see the same motive at play with his exchange with Natchok Var. Matheson knew exactly what was going to happen (knowing the thoughts of both Var and his pursuers), and yet held back from acting on that information because he also knew that Var was accepting his fate as the best course of action in achieving his goal... hence the exchanged look between the two before Var leaves.

Oh, I have SO MANY questions about techno mages right now ... But I suspect that at least some of them are going to be answered in future episodes, so I'll refrain from asking them for the time being.

My first thought upon seeing "Mr. Jones" was "Abel Horn???", but I'm assuming it's simply a case of "we liked this actor", not any intentional reference to a sinister Psi Corps (and/or Bureau 13) plot.

I'm really enjoying the telepath storylines in Crusade. What happens with human telepaths after the telepath war and the Psi Corps being dissolved is an interesting subject to explore. I also really like Matheson. So far, anyway.

Eilerson, on the other hand ... I don't love him :p I totally judge him for being greedy and wanting fame. And for working for IPX and doing for-profit archaeology. I know I said elsewhere that that's apparently just how it is in the B5 universe and a person's got to make a living, but yea ... totally judging. I'm assuming he's a crap archaeologist based on the fact that he's hunting down patents and trying to make money off of everything instead of doing actual archaeology. My assumption is reinforced in this episode, as it has Dureena, an actual thief, explaining burial practices to an archaeologist whose eyes only see monetary values. Is it opposites day? :p

Doesn't Eilerson get any credit for deleting his report (I think it was this episode)? He's got his moments.

I liked Mattheson a lot. Really wish that the 'Value Judgments' script by Fiona Avery would have gotten made.

Jan

Well, some files get deleted in this episodes. We get a view of Eilerson's screen as it happens, and it looks suspiciously like what Londo's computer screen looked like when Elric put a holodemon in his system. I'm assuming Galen is responsible. Eilersoon didn't look too happy about it, either :p But, I am pleased to learn that he'll have some better moments later on :)

The episode where Eilerson apparently grows a conscience is "Patterns of the Soul", I just watched it. I'm going with the order on the DVD, so I have no idea if that was supposed to be before or after "The Well of Forever".

Incidentally, the episode names on Crusade are WAY less clever than on Babylon 5.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back