• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who Christmas Special 2011 Title is....

Hmm, I loved Moffats' last one and will give him the benefit of the doubt, much better than the continual RTD Dr as Jesus / Saviour motif.

Also like the continued theme of placing the Doctor on his own or with new people.

I'm calling a young C.S Lewis stumbling into the TARDIS at an Edwardian mansion and heading off on an adventure on a snowy planet with the Doctor. I've actually been clamouring for that for AGES.

*edit* just read the link and can't help feeling he should've gone the whole hog like I suggested. We've had Dickens & Christie in Who before and it's worked, why not throw Clive (or Jack as he liked to be known), into the mix. It would totally work.

Last edited:
So, it looks like the BBC is denying that a title has been announced, though the rest of that article is pretty much what's beiing reported everywhere.

Christmas Special 2010, I guess Moffat said it would be like "A Christmas Carol", which turned out to be the title, so, it looks like when he said this year's would be like The Lion, The Witch and Wardrobe, the article took liberties :(

The only thing I heard him say was that it would be the most Christrmassy one yet... which had me nerdgasming over the idea of a close encounter with The Nativity.

So, what did people think?

I found the main story went smoothly and had all the typical Who'esque feels; but truly, it was the last scene for me that made it worth watching.

Not sure why, but over the last season I started to really like the Pond(s)/Doctor relationship, and that final scene cemented that much more for me.

The other characters in the special? Didn't think much about them except the comical portrayal of the 'workers'.

S.

I would agree that the episode was OK...defintely not the best...though it was very emotional.

I also watched the "best of Christmas" Dr. Who episodes that aired on BBCAmerica afterwards and noticed there was at least 1 scene from the "Voyage of the Damned" episode that I don't recall seeing before.
It showed the Dr., Astrid and a few other passengers (Richard Bucket included) transporting to an empty London. They run into Wilfred (Donna's grandad) in his reindeer antleers selling newspapers. This scene must have been cut from the US airings..I know I would have remembered it.

Andy

I would agree that the episode was OK...defintely not the best...though it was very emotional.

I also watched the "best of Christmas" Dr. Who episodes that aired on BBCAmerica afterwards and noticed there was at least 1 scene from the "Voyage of the Damned" episode that I don't recall seeing before.
It showed the Dr., Astrid and a few other passengers (Richard Bucket included) transporting to an empty London. They run into Wilfred (Donna's grandad) in his reindeer antleers selling newspapers. This scene must have been cut from the US airings..I know I would have remembered it.

Andy

It was certainly in the UK version.

aajay, BBCA has run several eps at various lengths - usually, the first time, it is uncut, and the timeslot is a bit longer than an hour. Most later showings are edited down to fit into an hour. If you have Dr. Who on OnDemand, those are unedited. Up until this Xmas ep, they were also shown w/o commercials, animated bugs, or squeezed credits. Sadly, the new Xmas Special had all of those. I get Dr. Who on Comcast OnDemand, under HD, TV Series.

I got a chance to see the uncut Voyage of the Damned...and there was that scene...kinda cute. Always wondered on the Doctoc knew Balakafalava's name in subsequent scenes.
Makes me also wonder what other scenes have been cute from the BBCA reruns over the years.

I think the problem with the Christmas 2011 episode was that there was no 'bad guy', and therefore, no real threat. The story unfolded with all the drama of someone putting up an umbrella in a rainstorm.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back