• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who Series 6

Ok, here's a new thought I had during my shower just now. A variation on JJ's thesis: maybe the astronaut that shot and killed the doctor was River, who did absorb the regeneration energy, but not child astronaut River. We know the suit was a life support unit, maybe adult River got injured in a story we haven't gotten yet, and the Doctor put her in the suit, and then, knowing the date of his death from the file he got from the tesselact ship, he and adult River arrange for her to kill him and take the energy to save her from dying.

Another interesting possibility.

We know River ends up in prison for killing the Doctor, but despite the killing attempt in "Let's Kill Hitler", she's not in prison at the end. That would suggest that she, in her own timeline, hasn't killed him yet. So, it couldn't have been her in her child astronaut form that killed him at the beginning of "The Impossible Astronaut".

While you've made me way less certain that my original conjecture is true, I still think it might be. I still think it is the infant River in the astronaut suit. Remember, I was thinking that what we see as killing the Dr. was really done to save him, so it might not count as killing him, at least to those who know. We're dealing with time travel, so we'll see what happens. :)

{snip}
Really interested in working out how the Church evolves in all this. They've clearly been infiltrated by The Silence as at the time of Demon's Run, but by the time of Octavian it would seem they are somewhat gravitating away from that darkness.

Amy remarked that the Doctor was allowing Octavian's men to salute him and call him sir. Odd because the Doctor normally prevents this. When the Doctor does something unusual there is frequently a reason. The reason could be that the Doctor and the Clerics are normally enemies, the salutes are just a way of saying that they are allies that day.

{snip}
Really interested in working out how the Church evolves in all this. They've clearly been infiltrated by The Silence as at the time of Demon's Run, but by the time of Octavian it would seem they are somewhat gravitating away from that darkness.

Amy remarked that the Doctor was allowing Octavian's men to salute him and call him sir. Odd because the Doctor normally prevents this. When the Doctor does something unusual there is frequently a reason. The reason could be that the Doctor and the Clerics are normally enemies, the salutes are just a way of saying that they are allies that day.

That doesn't track with what Octavian tried to warn the Doctor about at the end, the whole thing about River having killed a good man... and the Tesselator identifying the good man as the Doctor (if indeed the last two are connected).

Octavian and his guys started out as people you were wary of... but by the time the story got about two thirds in, I found that I had quite warmed to them... and was very sad when Octavian was killed.

Tonight's episode, "The Girl Who Waited", was much, much better than last week's episode. It feels a bit weird to realize we've only got 3 episodes left to the season.

Tonight's episode, "The Girl Who Waited", was much, much better than last week's episode. It feels a bit weird to realize we've only got 3 episodes left to the season.

What I found surprised me was I found the older Amy more attractive than the younger one .... which I think speaks to one problem I had with the initial season of this iteration of the Doctor. (it has been allot better this season as she is toned down + Rory balances off her character nicely and levels it out)

Overall though, that episode was a nice surprise, and got me excited about watching Doctor Who again.

S.

The Girl Who waited felt a bit like the Prisoner or the Avengers. I really liked it, as with the God Complex. Really enjoying all of this half-season to be honest, maybe I'm finally in synch with Moffat Who.

It might have just been something about how I was feeling when I watched it, but "The God Complex" didn't have the emotional resonnance for me that it was intended to have. The idea of disabusing Amy of her faith in the Doctor is good, but it only felt like it happened superficially to me. I didn't really feel Amy giving up her faith in the Doctor.

So, we've now had the finale. I totally need to watch it again because it's one of those that feels like I've bound to missed something and definitely don't see all the layers in one viewing.

We now know it wasn't the Doctor killed in the first episode of the season but instead the Teselecta; that was a workable way to solve it all, I guess. I liked the fakeout leading us to think the Doctor/River wedding was when he tells her his name, which fits well with the big scary question being posed as the center of the Silence's work as being "Doctor who?" That was nice.

We now know it wasn't the Doctor killed in the first episode of the season but instead the Teselecta; that was a workable way to solve it all, I guess. I liked the fakeout leading us to think the Doctor/River wedding was when he tells her his name, which fits well with the big scary question being posed as the center of the Silence's work as being "Doctor who?" That was nice.

Faking the regeneration would not have been hard - just give off some yellow smoke. However the cremation would have been difficult since machines do not burn in the same way as people.

As for the Doctor's name - why would people consider that important?

The Doctor's name is important in that we viewers are nosy and the show has existed for how many years with his name being unsaid. Ultimately, I doubt we viewers will actually ever hear his name because not knowing makes it more awesome than any name ever could be.

Instead of being massively complex and convoluted time renewal thingy, it was just a simple switch over, for the Doctor with the invulnerable Tessalecta with the Tardis inside!

A great and silly finale with the promise of more to come, the questions' over the Dr's identity hark back to the Mcoy-era Cartmel Master plan ...

The cast really seem to love playing their roles. And Amy with an eyepatch and machine gun? Hot.

I thought it was quite clever that the `solution` involved something that we didn't know anything about until halfway through the series. (My favourite episode of the second half of the series, in fact. Note that we still don't know where the contingent of `justice-meeters-out` inside the teselecta come from - unless it was in one of the `horror` episodes I had no wish to watch [and which I notice seem to have had little bearing on the overall story-line].)

I'm not sure "Doctor Who?" means his name, it could be something else entirely, but, yea, it was be a grand mistake to fix a a name onto him in the show. Nothing could match expectations, and anything would feel hollow and a let down.

I'm not sure "Doctor Who?" means his name, it could be something else entirely, but, yea, it was be a grand mistake to fix a a name onto him in the show. Nothing could match expectations, and anything would feel hollow and a let down.

I suspect that The Doctor will just whisper his name into River Song's ear.

So, we've now had the finale. I totally need to watch it again because it's one of those that feels like I've bound to missed something and definitely don't see all the layers in one viewing.

I need to watch it again, too. But, maybe you can explain to me how a fake death of a fake Dr. Who - the Teselecta - could stop the disintegration of time? I thought it was a mater of nature/physics, that the Dr.'s death was a "fixed point in time," and had to occur, or time, as we know it, would unravel. So, I don't see how the laws of nature would be fooled by, or satisfied by, a fake death.

I need to watch it again, too. But, maybe you can explain to me how a fake death of a fake Dr. Who - the Teselecta - could stop the disintegration of time? I thought it was a mater of nature/physics, that the Dr.'s death was a "fixed point in time," and had to occur, or time, as we know it, would unravel. So, I don't see how the laws of nature would be fooled by, or satisfied by, a fake death.
That's the way it always went. The Doctor was there, he was shot, but, it was the Tesselecta that "Died", he just went along with it (This is so the Show can bring him back down a peg, and not be so Grand and Glorious, but, return to the "Don't mention it..to anyone" days. The Doctor has gotten too big for his britches and Moffat wanted to tone him down.

The fixed moment in time still stands. The Doctor didn't change anything, he fulfilled it. It's like Delenn says of them all going back in time to steal Babylon 4: "We've already done it; all we have to do now is make sure that we do it then." The fixed moment was never the Doctor's death; it was always the Teselecta being destroyed.

Okay, I understand what you guys are saying, but I don't buy it. I don't think that would have destroyed the continuity of time, if it wasn't the Doctor, or some other important being.

Also, I would assume that the Teselecta isn't really dead, as bullets didn't kill it before, and it was spirited away very quickly, so we wouldn't find out what it really was.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back