• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who Series 6

I guess that's just something that's different between the US and the UK; Doctor Who isn't marketed as a kids' show here at all, so I had no idea that it was presented that way there.

The original Doctor Who was made by the BBC children's department. One of the aims was to teach history. Then they found out they had better viewing figures for the episodes set in the future with monsters.

The original Doctor Who was made by the BBC children's department. One of the aims was to teach history. Then they found out they had better viewing figures for the episodes set in the future with monsters.

Well that makes sense then for why it's still thought of as connected to children's programming today. I've never seen any of the show before Eccleston. I'm surprised BBC America doesn't show any of the older classic episodes, but they don't. I noticed yesterday that at least some of the older stuff is out on DVD, so I might try checking out the older stuff that way. For those more knowledgable about the older Doctor Who, are there any particular storylines that you recommend more highly than others?

Well that makes sense then for why it's still thought of as connected to children's programming today. I've never seen any of the show before Eccleston. I'm surprised BBC America doesn't show any of the older classic episodes, but they don't. I noticed yesterday that at least some of the older stuff is out on DVD, so I might try checking out the older stuff that way. For those more knowledgable about the older Doctor Who, are there any particular storylines that you recommend more highly than others?

Actually, most of the older show (except for the lost episodes) are available on DVD. I think there's maybe only 20 stories left to release if that.

PBS used to run Dr Who Classic Series for alot of years (That's where most of my Classic Who comes from is from recording it in the 80s from PBS). Apparently, when SciFi Channel first started up, they used to run Classic Dr. Who

Most American Folks seem to prefer Tom Baker's run. I personally like them all. I'm currently working on getting the 3rd Doctor John Pertwee (These are the first color ones, and some have lost their color, and are being re-colorized for DVD Releases). I have a few of the First Doctor, half of Tom Baker, and all of 5, 6 and 7.

The Key to Time is a good Place to Start, 6 Stories all with an Arc running through, 4 episodes of each of the first 5 stories and 6 for the 6th Story. (Unless you want to go whole hog, and just start at the very beginning with the First episodes from 1963).

Ribos Operation
The Pirate Planet
Stones of Blood
Androids of Tara
The Power of Kroll
The Armageddon Factor

NOTE: The Special Effects were pretty poor in Classic Who, and some of the 6 episode (and longer) stories have quite a bit of filler.

"The Aztecs", the first doctor, William Hartnell
"Mind Robber" and "The War Games" , the second doctor, Patrick Troughton
"Terror of the Autons", "Inferno", or really any of the third doctor, Jon Pertwee

It's been awhile since I've seen the Tom Baker years, but the second Romana episodes are all excellent.

But I'm a really big fan of the early years of British sci-fi. :) I think it's all worth watching and much of it is surprisingly good, even with the cardboard sets!

"The Aztecs", the first doctor, William Hartnell
"Mind Robber" and "The War Games" , the second doctor, Patrick Troughton
"Terror of the Autons", "Inferno", or really any of the third doctor, Jon Pertwee

It's been awhile since I've seen the Tom Baker years, but the second Romana episodes are all excellent.

But I'm a really big fan of the early years of British sci-fi. :) I think it's all worth watching and much of it is surprisingly good, even with the cardboard sets!
If Starting at the Beginning, start at the beginning, IMHO.

The Unearthly Child Premiere episode, is great, IMHO (The rest of the story never did much for me)
Then The First Dalek Story
Then Edge of Destruction 2 parter
Then Keys of Marinus
Then The Aztecs

(I believe Marco Polo is the only thing missing, which I don't know, nor do I know if it's available/complete, I suspect it's not complete)

Oh, and back to the topic, in case I haven't mentioned this week's episode, fairly average, but, wasn't expecting much, looking forward to next week, though.

Last edited:
I tend to think that unless you're either really immune to low production values of the pre-digital age or you're emotionally invested by having seen this classic stuff when you were a child it's really hard to get into The Classic Doctor. I watched a couple of Tom Baker episodes, but everything seems so dated that it drags me right out of the stories.

Having said that, the current run of Who is pretty great, even though you probably shouldn't defy the inconsistencies in the logic of time travel Stephen Moffat writes into every other script. But it's fun, and all the >2000 Doctors were great. I just hope that Matt Smith's stick doesn't old quickly.

That thudding sound you heard a few minutes ago was my jaw hitting the ground with the force of 100 Hiroshima bombs.

Neil Gaiman's Doctor Who episode was THAT good.

I think we all knew:

Spoiler for for The Doctor's Wife:
That the titular character would in fact turn out to be the TARDIS, the sexy old girl herself.

But it was done with so much style, panache and such a clear understanding of the Doctor's backstory and his relationship with his chosen mode of transport.

"The only water in the forest is the River". I think we all know what that means... or do we?

Spoiler for for portent:
This made me think two things. Firstly that the Doctor will be travelling to the Library where he first met River (remember that it was also the Forest of the Dead). However it's a curious phrase isn't it? With Amy being named after a body of water as well... does that imply that either she will not be there with him... or that what he believes to be Amy come that episode, will not really be her?

Seriously top drawer stuff... particularly from Gaiman, Smith & Jones.

I so totally forgot today was Saturday and thus Doctor Who tonight. And now, it's halfway through the episode. Thankfully BBC America reruns it again in a few hours.

EDIT: Saw the repeat, and I definitely thought it was way better than last week.

Last edited:
Also with regard to the cryptic portent... it was VERY much done in a similar way to the Koshism in Gaiman's Babylon 5 episode "Day of the Dead".

One thing yet unmentioned about showing the earlier Dr. Whos - in the US, on PBS, they were shown edited together in blocks of varying lengths. In the UK, I think they were 30m long, and had cliff-hangers, or teasers, at the end of most every program. I tried watching those, after having seen the US PBS versions for years, and just couldn't take how short and choppy those 30m eps were.

Tom Baker is my favorite, followed by Colin Baker. I couldn't stand Sylvester McCoy, but I watched anyway.

Here in the UK there was a programme called `Doctor Who Confidential` (that followed the episode on another BBC channel) where parts of it showed Neil Gaiman reading sections of his script while touring around the various sets, showing how the two meshed together, and further revealing themes and links from previous DW episodes/series/Doctors (and showing brief clips, too).

I had found the episode itself very dark, both physically and in substance (which is not something I like much) but the `Confidential` programme helped me enormously understand many of the subtleties that Gaiman had intended (many of which, I felt, hadn't perhaps come across too clearly in the episode).

Last week's episode I found not-so-great, so found myself skipping parts of `Confidential`. (I watch most TV after I've recorded it, so I can do that, plus watch it at a time that's convenient.) I felt that that episode wasn't much enhanced by the latter programme, if at all. This week's `Confidential`, on the other hand, I found an almost essential and extremely valuable companion-piece. (So a pity some will not see it.) Great to see Neil Gaiman for large chunks of the programme, as a `guide` to both sets and script, and also for his fan insights into certain other (historical) DW themes.

That thudding sound you heard a few minutes ago was my jaw hitting the ground with the force of 100 Hiroshima bombs.

Neil Gaiman's Doctor Who episode was THAT good.

I think we all knew:

Spoiler for for The Doctor's Wife:
That the titular character would in fact turn out to be the TARDIS, the sexy old girl herself.

But it was done with so much style, panache and such a clear understanding of the Doctor's backstory and his relationship with his chosen mode of transport.

"The only water in the forest is the River". I think we all know what that means... or do we?

Spoiler for for portent:
This made me think two things. Firstly that the Doctor will be travelling to the Library where he first met River (remember that it was also the Forest of the Dead). However it's a curious phrase isn't it? With Amy being named after a body of water as well... does that imply that either she will not be there with him... or that what he believes to be Amy come that episode, will not really be her?

Seriously top drawer stuff... particularly from Gaiman, Smith & Jones.

I think River is
Spoiler for portent:
Amy Pond's unborn child

No! Two weeks until the continuation of the story started in tonight's episode. Two weeks?? [grumpy face]

I wonder if they're going to touch on Rory's time as a nesting dupilicate in his interacting with the gangers in the rest of this story.

And I wonder how long it will be until we finally get anything else about the woman looking through walls at Amy other than just more of the woman looking through walls at Amy. (On a similar, though side note, how many times are they going to repetitiously show us the Doctor looking at the monitor showing us that the TARDIS scans Amy to be pregnant and not pregnant simultnaeously? We've seen it enough times that we get it already. Time for something new.)

No! Two weeks until the continuation of the story started in tonight's episode. Two weeks?? [grumpy face]

I wonder if they're going to touch on Rory's time as a nesting dupilicate in his interacting with the gangers in the rest of this story.

And I wonder how long it will be until we finally get anything else about the woman looking through walls at Amy other than just more of the woman looking through walls at Amy. (On a similar, though side note, how many times are they going to repetitiously show us the Doctor looking at the monitor showing us that the TARDIS scans Amy to be pregnant and not pregnant simultnaeously? We've seen it enough times that we get it already. Time for something new.)
On the Pregnancy scan, I suspect Amy screwed the audience on that this week. I suspect the Dr was going to go do something without Rory and Amy to address whatever it is that is causing the on again/off again pregnancy.

Yea, it's a bummer they are worried about Memorial Day weekend ratings, and making us (And Canada) wait for an extra week. For those too impatient, I suppose there will be alot of "Alternative methods of Viewing", I'm waiting though.

It would be interesting if the Nestene and or Auton origins were tied into this whole Flesh thing, but, they've been on Earth, earlier than the date in this episode (2164, I believe the episode is set in?), so that would mean Time Travel involved, and we don't want to water down Time Travel, by making everyone capable of it, the Time Lords and The Daleks are enough (And the other Time Travelling Races in the Novels and Audio Series). Definitely Think Rory's time as Plastic is playing into his sympathy/affection for Jennifer (or The Flesh she's made of, may be manipulating Rory's mind, I notice she's touching him alot and it seems to increase his sympathies towards her). I'm hoping this story is being used as a Red Herring for thosse who theorized a Clone being killed in the Impossible Astronaut, it's too out in the open already for this to be the Get Out Death Free Card

After what I've seen so far, my theory is that the regenerating kid we saw in 6x01/02 actually IS the doctor, and that through some dubious McGuffin he will regenerate as Matt Smith again later on, after he's been killed in Utah. And I don't care whether I'm wrong or not, the fun lies in guessing. ;)

A week behind Britain here in the US.

The Almost People, a solid second half to a 2 parter, that initially seemed a waste and drawn out to be a 2 parter. I really enjoyed it, and I've been msotly spoiler-free on the big stuff (I know little stuff, like guest stars, titles, etc, but, not actual details) and I was very surprised by the twist at the end. A nice bit of misdirection, because going in, it seemed this was going to be used to get out of the dilemma set up in the first episode (Though, it still can be, I suppose).

So, now we know who Amy's "Eye Patch" lady

Anxiously awaiting the mid Series Finale next week. A poll for favorite episode of the 6th Series so far (On TrekBBS) has many folks saying next week's episode is their second favorite of season so far (The Doctor's Wife, of course ran away with favorite)

Last edited:
Anxiously awaiting the mid Series Finale next week. A poll for favourite episode of the 6th Series so far (On TrekBBS) has many folks saying next week's episode is their second favorite of season so far (The Doctor's Wife, of course ran away with favorite)

I have mixed feelings about the mid season finale. Emotionally it was very satisfying... but a couple of the key events don't seem to live up to the hype attached to them.

Talk to me about it next week when you've seen it.

I think (and certainly hope) that there's a lot more going on in the closing scene than what is said on the face of things.

Galahad...?

Mid-SEASON...That's so American of you???

Shouldn't we be translating to Britishisms, not the other way 'round?

It's what Moffatt himself refers to it as.... and wvery one on Twitter seems to call it that too. If it is a season then of course it must be Summer... because it is sooo short.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back