B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old May 19th 20, 03:58   #11
Wulf
Commander

Re: Rewatching. Thus, I'm obligated to make a thread.

1x11
Survivors

What's with the difficult to read signs? It might look alien, but if you want people to grab rail at all times, use a legible font.

I wonder how often this generic "guy ejected into space" model is used throughout the show.

Franklin's mask looks more like he's about to rob a gas station than prevent contamination.

"Garibaldi, i don't care about your assault, but the dying guy muttered something with a G in it so we need your badge and gun, get out of here"

This monotone lady was typing into that console in a terrible, terrible way. That would cause so much wrist strain.

A new episode, a new officer losing his cool and assaulting somebody in public. Is that 4 episodes in a row now?

"He's dead!" And Franklin does absolutely nothing to try help. He's barely stopped breathing when Franklin calls it. Maybe try a little CPR there doc.

Hey, Garibaldi's too tired for dancing, but that probably means he still remembers how. I bet his shoes are just the correct amount of tight.

All this space CGI makes me thing of the Wing Commander series. I loved those games.

Holy shit, these guards see Garibaldi and shoot on sight.

I mean... Jesus. Wow.

Garibaldi's giving me a Die Hard vibe here. Yipee kai yay Minbari lovers.

Do you think there are a lot of chains laying around for the taking on a space station? Freshly cut chain too, not greasy used stuff.

Gee i wonder if Garibaldi will choose to curl into a bottle, or clear his name. Actually, ignore my sass, he chose the bottle. Not super controversial, but at least B5 doesn't always take the knight in shining armor approach. Neat. Except everything resolved itself for him while he was passed out drunk. Convenient.

"I'm holding a ranged weapon, let me just allow you to close to melee range instead of killing the only two people that can foil my evil plot."

Why are all the evil people using their own accounts to transfer funds? Just get a giant burlap sack with a dollar sign on it, far less suspicious.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 20, 15:49   #12
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
1x11
Survivors

Why are all the evil people using their own accounts to transfer funds? Just get a giant burlap sack with a dollar sign on it, far less suspicious.
Just because they are evil doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

I WISH I had the time or the energy to comment on each of your negative statements.

DEATHWALKER is one I love for the backstory and overall arc implications and not so much for every bit of the execution.

BELIEVERS is one I don't think gets enough credit.

SURVIVORS is a Garibaldi story.

I do feel SURVIVORS does create a connection with regard to the President. It also gives us some insight into how JMS wanted us to see more of background arc stuff.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 20, 17:12   #13
Wulf
Commander

I'd also like to be very clear that I love the show. You probably couldn't tell from reading my comments... but my baseline expectation is that everything is awesome, so its the rough edges / plot contrivances / snark that my brain picks up to comment on.

This thread is not doing the show justice, it's just how my inner monologue works.
Old May 19th 20, 19:07   #14
Looney
Telepath

You wouldn't be here if you didn't love the show. I was just trying to keep the discussion going.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 20, 19:54   #15
Wulf
Commander

It occurred to me that a literal reading of what I'm writing would come off as quite harsh, and your post could have been worked from either interpretation.

All good then
Old May 21st 20, 06:03   #16
Wulf
Commander

1x12
By Any Means Necessary

I don't recall this coming up again. Would Ivanova be the one in charge of telling individual ships to hold? I always pictured her as the sort that would be in charge of the guy with that responsibility.

Interesting side trivia... I know the literal translation of "Dios Mio!" but I googled it for funsies just to see if there was any nuance on the phrase. Google Translate tells me that it means "OMG". This scene takes on a different tone if you picture him screaming "OMG" instead of "my god". Good job Google.

Hey, Narn ceremony. I don't remember seeing many of these, except for whatever happens with G'Kar much later on.

The Jaquan Eth has been destroyed. And it's all Sinclair's fault.

Seriously, triple shifting? And he's only giving a shit now that the Ambassador's been inconvenienced by the explosion and death? Lowest bidder equipment, horribly understaffed maintenance department, B5's kind of a craphole, isn't it?

"Swock!" I don't recall hearing this curse before. Noted.

This motherswocking politician is swocking them over a barrel about this swocky budget. And now the swockers are swocking starting a swocking illegal strike! How dare they not endanger their swocking lives so swockers above them can swocking save some swocking pennies!

"But this isn't the way!" It's literally the only way. People have died and they're telling them to go back to work with absolutely no changes to the environment.

"They have a right to hear what I've just told you!" Uh, the statement that boils down to "get back to work or we'll arrest you"? Think they knew that one already.

Yada yada condescending labour negotiations.... Surprisingly, "Work or we'll shoot you" isn't making any friends.

So, the rush act. What exactly does it authorize?

"Move in with security, and end it now"

What if nobody resists? They just toss em in jail? Then they still have no workers. Forced servitude? Security forces monitoring all 1000 workers as they triple shift, shooting anybody that doesn't work? Why'd this have to turn into a riot? What if they simply refused to work?

...Just for the sake of keeping the streak going, is this the fifth episode in a row with public violence and no charges being laid?

"This station is 12.2 light-years from Narn. That's just over 10 of your light-years."

It's this sort of weird unit conversion that slammed that lander into Mars a while back. Nobody in the future has settled on a standard unit of measure to replace the light year? Imperial gallons or metric gallons or tons or tonnes, dry cup or fluid cup or ounces, oh god, not ounces, why future, why? Why hasn't this eternal struggle been resolved instead of expanded?

I demand metric time.

Edit: Wait, Believers didn't count for the streak, did it? So it's not a streak. Never mind.

Last edited by Wulf; May 21st 20 at 06:05.
Old May 21st 20, 06:24   #17
Wulf
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
I WISH I had the time or the energy to comment on each of your negative statements.

DEATHWALKER is one I love for the backstory and overall arc implications and not so much for every bit of the execution.

BELIEVERS is one I don't think gets enough credit.

SURVIVORS is a Garibaldi story.

I do feel SURVIVORS does create a connection with regard to the President. It also gives us some insight into how JMS wanted us to see more of background arc stuff.
If you're ever feeling up to it, I always enjoy a rousing game of "discuss the nitpick". =]

Deathwalker, I agree. Good for the universe, not so great to actually watch.

Believers, I'd probably enjoy arguing either side of this episode more than I would actually watching it. Some thought provoking stuff, but I'm not really sure it builds the universe at all, and after you've thunk all the relevant thoughts, I'm not sure it's entertaining on a rewatch. I definitely would not recommend skipping it on a first run through the series.

Survivors... I want to say this was probably a good episode. A bit cheesy in parts, not the best acting, but it has deeper implications and shows us some G-backstory. I think I'm probably looking forward to the big "Want do you want, and the rock cried out no hiding place, go to z'ha'dum and you will die" moments and not properly appreciating the little things.

Which I should really pay more attention to, because, while I've seen them all before, it's the little things that make the big things worth it. I dunno why I've always struggled to really connect with Season 1. I used to blame Sinclair, but really, it's not him this time.
Old May 21st 20, 10:44   #18
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
1x12
By Any Means Necessary

"Swock!" I don't recall hearing this curse before. Noted.

I'm sorry to nitpick ((No, I'm not)) (but you said you didn't mind!) but that curse word is "Shrock". and I'm sure you'll be utterly fascinated to learn that it's used four times in the series.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st 20, 19:42   #19
Wulf
Commander

*gasp*

"It takes only a moment. But we spend the rest of our lives looking back at that moment in shame."

I appreciate the nitpick.
Old May 22nd 20, 00:25   #20
Wulf
Commander

1x13
Signs and Portents

This opening CGI seems more 90s CGIey than usual.

I remember this episode name but not its content. Is that Morden? Baby faced young little Morden? I think big things are starting. Whee.

Sinclair's asking a lowly security guy to investigate an event that would have been investigated unsuccessfully at the highest levels of government? There would be no documentation in any earth system, with no suspicion of that not being the case. So he's asking him to infiltrate Minbari military? Can't recall where this goes, but sure.

Maybe G'kar's people would have fewer famines if they weren't blowing tens of thousands of currencyunits on drugs for their religious ceremonies.

Ooh, ooh he's gonna say it, it's coming up!

"What do you want?"

I mean, I guess he said it. But it wasn't even ominous. Why, nobody at this point in watching would attach any particular significance to it at all.

Alright then.

Carrying on.

G'kar and now the Seer are portenting the shit out of this episode. We've got ourselves a triple serving of portenting with an extra side of signs.

Delenn's forehead thingy would be super awkward if it just goes off every time a being of supreme evil (relative philosophies dependent) walked by. I mean, she works in politics. Would it ever stop triggering? Does it ever go off again? It seems like that would be useful in the future.

Are there Shadows with him at this point? Is he holding the doors open for it? He'd look extremely weird doing so. Are people bumping into the Shadow in the halls?

What's Shadow for "Pardon me, excuse me"?

These raiders are about to bring the Achilles to heel!

What's standard procedure in the military when somebody's attacking you? Do you stand there staring at your commanding officer, or react in the most appropriate manner automatically?

Do inactive jump gates allow comms through?

Damn, the defenseless ship with the capability of fleeing has fled! Who could have foreseen that happening?!

Ah well, decent enough space combat for the time.

You'd think Kyro would have believed his seer. I mean, they have provable abilities ingrained into their culture, not just superstition. Oh well. He'd probably be anti-science in our culture, I guess it happens.

I mean, right now she's sharing a vision with Sinclair. That's not a thing you dismiss casually.