• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Legions of Fire: Out of the Darkness. WTH?

Bab5nutz

Regular
I have been getting back into B5 lately, and thought that I would read the Centauri Trilogy. I found the first two easily enough - Amazon.uk has both for less than 5.00 GBP each, and is offering free postage to NZ at the moment.

But the last one "Out of the Darkness" ? It's going for about 30 GBP on Amazon.uk. I tried Abebooks; same story; E-Bay; same story. Book Depository doesn't have it. I am not sure that I want to pay $40-60 NZD for a book.

What's going on? Why the high price? And does anyone know of where I can get one for a reasonable price?

I have been getting back into B5 lately, and thought that I would read the Centauri Trilogy. I found the first two easily enough - Amazon.uk has both for less than 5.00 GBP each, and is offering free postage to NZ at the moment.

But the last one "Out of the Darkness" ? It's going for about 30 GBP on Amazon.uk. I tried Abebooks; same story; E-Bay; same story. Book Depository doesn't have it. I am not sure that I want to pay $40-60 NZD for a book.

What's going on? Why the high price? And does anyone know of where I can get one for a reasonable price?

See Peter David's blog. Do a search there.

Short answer: In a trilogy, Del Rey prints fewer of the second book and even fewer of the third, on the theory that some people don't finish the first book, and so won't buy the second or the third, and that of the people who finish the first book and bought the second, some will stop at the second and not buy the third.

So, the third becomes rare.

It's hard to find it for a reasonable price unless the person selling it doesn't know its value. That's how I ended up with my copy, by finding it in a used book store that sold lots of old science fiction books so everything was just priced the same (about $3). I can say that it is a good read.

I'd be happy to part with my copy, but would this book by any chance be taken to Antarctica?

Raw Shark

"Let's blow this cocktail stand!"
Shandra C.

Hmm, had a couple of indications you were someone I know.

I looked in the two most likely spots and it's not in either, so it's probably in my storage space. I'll take a look next time I'm there. I own the three paperbacks, but later bought the hardcover collection, so no need for the rest. Some much more reasonable price, let me find it first. And I might be able to find someone to bring it to the Antarctic Center in Christchurch for free. Or Dux Delux, if it comes back to life.

I'm not on Paypal.

Raw Shark

"Is our children learnin'?"
George W. Bush

Hmm, had a couple of indications you were someone I know.

I looked in the two most likely spots and it's not in either, so it's probably in my storage space. I'll take a look next time I'm there. I own the three paperbacks, but later bought the hardcover collection, so no need for the rest. Some much more reasonable price, let me find it first. And I might be able to find someone to bring it to the Antarctic Center in Christchurch for free. Or Dux Delux, if it comes back to life.

I'm not on Paypal.

Raw Shark

"Is our children learnin'?"
George W. Bush

Thank-you. Send me a private message on here, if you can find it. If you wish to sell the other two, I will buy those, as well, as I haven't actually placed the Amazon order yet

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back