• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Last Night's BSG (1.5) [spoilers]

Recoil

Regular
Last Night\'s BSG (1.5) [spoilers]

I don't think this one was as intense or exciting as others leading up to it, but it wasn't bad. I can see where some of the folks across the pond said that things will slow down a bit in the middle before the build-up to the season 1 finale.

A couple interesting things though. [spoilers below]

First, I have to admit I was rather surprised to see the Cylon ship that was shot down bleeding! Even moreso to see that inside there is no Cylon crew flying it, rather it had organic parts and was "alive" in its own right. I'm not sure I like that concept, but hey, its there, no big deal I guess. Maybe they are trying to become more organic and alive like their creators.

[nitpick]
Also...who else thought Starbuck did one hell of a job patching that hole with a piece of plastic? Seemed to survive the vacum of space ok. Also finding controls on a totally organic ship seems a little odd too. I mean why would it need controls if it was alive? It would just think what to do, it wouldn't be pushing levers.
[/nitpick]

Anyway those are small details I suppose. So far though the show still seems to be pretty interesting. I am wondering what will be going on back at Caprica, that whole Helio thread still has me guessing. What are they planning on using him for?

Re: Last Night\'s BSG (1.5) [spoilers]

It's funny, you've are the exact spot where I thought "I dunno about this show?" Then after this, it just started getting better.

And it's HELO. :D And I know what I'd use him for.

I don't know that I'm at that point per say. I think all the episodes leading up to last night's were very strong, and showed me that this series will be great. Last night's was just a "so so" episode, but lets be honest, EVERY show has its share of so-so episodes, so I wasn't really too worried. It was just that this was the first one where the story didn't totally grip me and I wasn't into it the whole time.

Heck it took me a lot longer to get into B5 than it has BSG so far...

But like B5, even the so-so episodes contain crutial information that will be expanded on later in a way that will leave your mouth hanging open in wonder :D

I am wondering what will be going on back at Caprica, that whole Helio thread still has me guessing. What are they planning on using him for?

I've seen all of Season 1 and I can tell you that H-e-l-i-o gives us quite a few surprises. First, in the next episode he opens a strip club for the Cylons where, instead of sexy women flashing their norks around, he hires kitchen appliances to "show it all." Then, a few episodes later he meets Number Two which, you guessed it, is a plumber called "Rudy." Together they do "stuff" and some "things" happen as well. The cliff-hanger, without giving too much away, involes Helio, Rudy, a pair of pliers, chicken wire, and lots of WD-40. Stay Tuned for that!

As for H-e-l-o, I won't spoil it for you but you can download all the episodes off the net if you get desperate to check out the full 1st season. I'd recommend broadband, though. There are a few changes with the US and UK versions, namely the opening theme song so it's worth a listen if only for that.

Finally, Recoil I'm not sure if you were saying that you would have prefered a seperate Cylon pilot inside the ship but, if so, I disagree. Why would a robotic race need a seperate robot that was built in humanoid form for ground mobility to pilot a space-based fighter? It would show a lack of efficiency since the space fighter could have a brain specifically geared toward it's own specific function, not cater to the strenghts and weakness of it's pilot's design.

I also like the organic angle, personally. Here's a suggestion for all viewers, keep thinking about the mix of organic life and machinery throughout the season and you'll see that the Cylon Raider as an organic vehicle fits quite nicely.

By the way, I enjoyed BSG 1.5 quite a bit. I watched it for the first time immediately after 1.4 several months back and I thought it a nice payoff. I also enjoyed the "realistic" environment of the Venus-like atmosphere of the planet, the Cylon Raider reveal, and it's the first time we really get to see Adama flex his political power when challenged.

My least favorite episode of the entire first season was episode 1.3, Richard Hatch's first episode. To me that was just another "by the numbers" television episode with lots of cliches and some very broad characterizations. The strength of BSG for me is the very human drama mixed with a science fiction environment and an overall sense of doom, but 1.3 was just over-blown empty hype to me. Zerek's motivation seemed a bit sketchy to me. Plus the fact that Starbuck, who happens to be the best pilot and also happens to be the best shot in the fleet and is made leader of a strike team because she also happens to be a superior strike team tactician. The strike team members would TRAIN everyday in this field, so Starbuck just taking over and being the seasoned pro was just too far-fetched and that shaded the whole experience for me. After watching 1.3 I was wondering if this show was just going to be another series where the same few actors are experts at everything just so that they can get their screen time. It doesn't completely stop with this episode, in the otherwise very good "Hand of God" episode we learn that Starbuck is the best in the fleet in yet another area, but nothing quite as obvious as 1.3.

I think Star Trek and Babylon 5 have sometimes made this mistake of overplaying the abilities of certain characters. You know, Ivanova and Garibaldi just happen to be two of the best Star Fury pilots even though their jobs should restrict them from duty since they are crucial to the station's operation structure. Same with any of the female characters on Star Trek Voyager. "It's a bird. It's a plane. No, it's Super Janeway!"

There are a few changes with the US and UK versions, namely the opening theme song so it's worth a listen if only for that.

Really? What's different?

I love the initial vocal bit, but hate hate hate the clips bit (I look away and put up with the sound).

What are the other differences?

Why would a robotic race need a seperate robot that was built in humanoid form for ground mobility to pilot a space-based fighter? It would show a lack of efficiency since the space fighter could have a brain specifically geared toward it's own specific function, not cater to the strenghts and weakness of it's pilot's design.
This is a really good point, and I agree with it. I guess I wasn't so much turned off by the fact that the fighter itself was just one robot...as I was all the organic stuff inside it. It could have just been a machine. I realize though, if Cylons are taking on human form, then they have to have organic technology, so I guess this makes sense.

But yea, guess there is no real point to robots flying a ship when the ship itself can just be a robot too...

But yea, guess there is no real point to robots flying a ship when the ship itself can just be a robot too...

That was something I always found stupid about the original series, and glad they solved with the new show.

There are a few changes with the US and UK versions, namely the opening theme song so it's worth a listen if only for that.

I love the initial vocal bit, but hate hate hate the clips bit (I look away and put up with the sound).

I've seen the US version of eps 1-5, and the UK version of eps 5-13. I prefer the UK opening music, but the US version is also not bad. The only other difference that I'm aware of is that apparently Starbuck's masterbation joke in "Bastille Day" was cut out of the UK version (perhaps because it airs at an earlier hour in the UK????). That's what I've heard people say, though I haven't seen the UK version of that ep to confirm it myself.

It doesn't completely stop with this episode, in the otherwise very good "Hand of God" episode we learn that Starbuck is the best in the fleet in yet another area, but nothing quite as obvious as 1.3.

SPOILERS

I wonder whether there's a reason Starbuck is so damned good at everything she does. I'm a bit suspicious of Starbuck. When you take all her abilities, her facility with the Cylon fighter, and her fling with Baltar, who we know is drawn to Cylons... well, I do wonder.

The North American theme is purely instrumental, but the spoiler clips and the music for that part are the same. To be honest, I prefer the UK one. Oddly enough, from what I've heard, the change was due to execs finding the UK version too depressing, but I find the NA one more downbeat.

Also, there were some cuts to the UK version. For example, Starbuck cracks a masturbation joke in the NA version of 1.3: "Bastille Day" that was cut from the UK version.

From all of the discussions on the internet that I have seen, I seem to be the only who likes the theme music. I think it fits almost perfectly with the overall feel of the show. It's a decidedly depressing show. It would be somewhat silly to have an uplifting-sounding theme.

You're not alone :) I love the music, and the combination of vocal and instrumental effects. In fact, a couple of times I was so impressed by how the BSG music enhanced the action, it made me comment on how much better Crusade would have been with some really effective music. I eventually got used to the Evan Chen stuff, but I never grew to like it.

You're not alone :)

Uh, but are you sure you're talking about the same theme as Juche Warrior, given that one of you lives in the UK and one of you lives in the US, and the broadcasts for the two countries have different theme music?

I think this Episode was probably the worst, mainly for the cheesiness of Starbuck's escape. It picks up a lot later on.

From all of the discussions on the internet that I have seen, I seem to be the only who likes the theme music. I think it fits almost perfectly with the overall feel of the show. It's a decidedly depressing show. It would be somewhat silly to have an uplifting-sounding theme.

My sentiments exactly. Now if I watch the original show, the theme music seems way to upbeat for a show about an entire civilization hanging in the balance. Also for a race on the verge of extinction they did find a lot of time to party on the Rising Star. :p

I agree the overall "mood" of the original show was a bit too upbeat and exciting, and that theme music for the new really fits the mood. But I sort of disagree about your Rising Star reference. At some point, you really do have to try to celebrate and live a normal life, otherwise whats the point. Frankly, I hope in seasons 2 or 3 this show takes a turn like that, where its not so continually depressing, but moves to the "life goes on" mode and has more of a "hope" theme. Id be down for some games on the Rising Star in this new series too...just not too quickly.

And thats one of the BIG differences between the old and the new. In the old, it was just another show, but with a setting in space and humans trying to find Earth. One whole Rising Star episode was one of those "leading character gets framed for murder. He didnt do it. Buddies need to help prove his innocense" deals. That was IT. A lot of the original series episodes were like that, and followed a typical 80s show format. You could have plugged them into any Glen Larson show and it would have worked. This new series, right now, is about developing the characters, but its also very much about what HAPPENED to the human race and trying to survive, escape, and move on. As it should be IMO...

I agree that many of the 80's shows had a certain formula that they stuck with. Characterization didnt seem to be all that important. As you mentioned, the formula could go from "The A-Team" to "Hunter" and to even "BG", the only difference would be the locations of the events.

With the new series, I really do enjoy the more in depth look at the people. Especially since they turned "Apollo", "Starbuck", and "Boomer" into call signs and instead gave each of the characters their own names. To me that makes them more real.

Back