B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Other TV-related forums > Non-B5 books, TV & films

Old May 1st 03, 07:56   #1
Galen
First One

The official X:Mutants United (Spoiler) Thread

I'll be watching X-Men 2 in just under 6 hours, so expect a fully detailed report on Friday when most of the rest of you would have had the opportunity to have seen the movie by then as well... I'll cage myself (hold myself back) from posting anything until then, but I just had to be the first one here at this board to launch the official first discussion thread for X:Mutants United! After having waited almost a good 3 years since the release of X-Men (which I just happened to have watched last night with 4 of my friends on a widescreen tv with 5.1 surround sound *drool*), I have just under 6 more hours to go and counting! And the exact same 4 of us have our perfect seats booked at the best audio rated cinema in the region where I live... yes, yes, I know I am being mean and all but I am simply that much excited! The movie is going to be a blast, that much I know!

If any of you feel like posting something in the meanwhile I am okey with it, but I do advise that we all hold off on any spoilers until Friday evening -ish (keep this thread spoiler free for a day) so that we can give everyone here a fair chance to have seen the movie first.

Await my report on Friday then!
Galen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd 03, 07:33   #2
Cyclops
First One

Re: The official X:Mutants United (Spoiler) Thread

X2
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd 03, 08:42   #3
Demonn
First One

I'll be in the theatre in a little over 5 hours. I could skip out on school if I wanted to, but I'm trying to save my absences for the summer.
Ok, I think we should kill some time, people... Who are your favorite mutants?

My favorites are.....
Cyclops... who still has a small role in the new movie.
Nightcrawler...
and... Gambit... who as far as I know isn't in the movie.

I like Wolverine too but I don't like how he's the center character in the movies. I know, I know, he's really popular... but Cyclops could take him in a second.
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd 03, 13:23   #4
Galen
First One

Part I

Here are five generic things about the movie in the meanwhile : (1)consisted over a solid story premise, (2)character portrayals were convincing & real, (3)special effects supported the story & characters, (4)strong continuity kept between both the prequel & the comic franchise, (5)EXCELLENT work by the director Bryan Singer!

my rating = FIVE STARS: *****
Old May 2nd 03, 14:01   #5
LondosHair
First One

I saw X2 last night at midnight... SO DAMN COOL I can't even put it in words... Magneto is the baddest man on the planet!! X2 is even better than the first movie. I'm gonna try like hell to see it again this weekend.
LondosHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd 03, 16:31   #6
Galen
First One

Part II

Alright, if there was any doubt left in my mind then that doubt has now become an impression of the past, since as far as it concerns my personal opinion Bryan Singer is the next Steven Spielberg (I have my reasons for this specific comparison)... even though Singer is and has always been in a league of his own. I have always been a fan of Singer's work, but now the man has indeed come very close to becoming my favorite director. It is not often that we are all fortunate to observe a sequel movie to conclude into being more powerful and overwhelming than its predecessor and original craft, so even though X-Men was a blast I would have to state that X was even more magnificent, more so than what I was expecting. And please do keep in mind that my expectations were quite high. Therefore I have great gratitude towards Bryan Singer and his team in having done an excellent job in keeping a franchise alive and kicking ass (quite literally)!

Bryan Singer consists over a very unique style of directing that only he knows by heart to explain to any other, but to the rest of us it has always been visible that his work contains the art form of a complete serious approach which leaves the impact of realism upon his movies. And realism is one's main concern in any movie, if that concept escapes one's work one might aswell not try. But even more importantly would be that Singer doesn't rely on special effects to make his movies work, since he had been used to making pure character driven movies with low budgets from the beginning. Therefore his movies are based upon purely character driven stories whereupon the special effects are used as a bonus towards supporting the movie structure. So yes, even though X consisted I would say over 75% of special effects, the special effects were used as a support system to help make the characters' abilities and skills seem more real and believable, but once again to support the story.

X consists of an entertaining and yet unexpected solid story where within you have a continues arch build-up throughout the whole duration of the movie that not only brings forth a climatic ending, but this whole process also prepares for a likeable sequel. Such a lot happens all at once all the time, but with a breathable pace. And then there is also the thick layer of new continuity that establishes its reference to link both the prequel movie as well as the comic franchise, and of course of what is to come as well. Even so once again this is not only a movie for the fan but also for the regular moviegoer whom enjoys a 2-hour rush. Though a fan would of course appreciate all the inside jokes and links that has been thrown into the movie especially for this reason.

Hey Bub, I'm not done with you yet... GO WATCH X, IT ROCKS YOUR HAIR OFF!!!
Old May 2nd 03, 21:20   #7
PsionTen
First One

To be honst, I was little disappointed in it, even though I thought it was a much better movie than the first one. I'm not actually knocking the movie per se, because I think Singer has done a better job than any other director possibly could ... my problem is with the constraints of the medium itself.

In my mind, X-Men simply has way too many characters, with way too much backstory for a 2-hour or 2-hour and 30 minute movie to do it complete justice ... For Spiderman or Superman or Batman, its not that much of a problem since you're basically focusing on two characters exclusively....

I can only imagine what kind of movie this would have been had there been another hour and a half for Singer to play with ... if you've ever read "God Loves, Man Kills," the graphic novel this was loosely based on, you'll know how powerful this story really is ... much better than the script, but when you have such a limited time to tell a story, there has to be sacrifices.

It looks like the next movie might focus on Jean Grey and the Phoenix Force, which is another powerful story ... X-Men has countless numbers of great stories to pick and choose from, but I still wish we could see a three-and-a-half or four hour X-Men movie... but it'll never happen.
PsionTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd 03, 10:28   #8
Recoil
First One

Quote:
It looks like the next movie might focus on Jean Grey and the Phoenix Force, which is another powerful story
I've never been an avid follower of the comic or the cartoon, but I have always known most of the jist of XMen. What are you referring to when you say the next one may deal with Jean Grey and Phoenix Force? Thats news to me. I was a bit confused at the Jean Grey sequence near the end, and at the end. To a newbie, it looks like she is dead. However all leading up to that her powers were seeming to be changing, and she was always hinting at something happening. Did she really die or just become or mutate into something even greater as her monologue at the end hinted to? Also, what was up with Professor X looking out his windows before he started talking to the kids at the end?

They really made things seem final as if she was dead, but there was lots that kept me wondering. I can only assume if I had better knowledge of the cartoon and comics I would know what to expect. Can someone fill me in?
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd 03, 12:08   #9
sassy
First One

i would have liked this movie more if it weren't for the fact that my 2 yo had ants in her pants the entire last hour of the movie..omg it was so embarasing. here i was with my 12 and 2 yo in a PACKED theater with us being in the MIDDLE. the whole theater was quiet except for my 2 yo saying in her loud voice, "I WANT MY BOTTLE!"

i thought it was great they got patrick again. and whoever magneto is. and the storm chic. wolverine has a bigger part than boywonder cyclops.

I dunno why the demon elf dude had all that blue make up on. maybe to make him look more evil.

i liked the evil mutants working together with the non evil mutants! it was a good plot.
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd 03, 14:30   #10
PsionTen
First One

Quote:
I've never been an avid follower of the comic or the cartoon, but I have always known most of the jist of XMen. What are you referring to when you say the next one may deal with Jean Grey and Phoenix Force? Thats news to me. I was a bit confused at the Jean Grey sequence near the end, and at the end. To a newbie, it looks like she is dead. However all leading up to that her powers were seeming to be changing, and she was always hinting at something happening. Did she really die or just become or mutate into something even greater as her monologue at the end hinted to? Also, what was up with Professor X looking out his windows before he started talking to the kids at the end?

The Phoenix story is one of my favorites, because it was going on when I first subscribed to the X-Men. I'm sure if I went digging through my collection at home I could probably tell you point-for-point what happened, but I'll break it down from what I remember...

Like the movie, Jean Grey did seem to die while saving the other X-Men and like the movie, Jean Grey's powers were growing more and more. In the comics, it appeared that Jean Grey's powers manifested to the point where she was able to channel the Phoenix Force -- a sort of all-powerful psionic energy that made her one of the most powerful entities in the universe --- and, like the myth of the Phoenix, she was reborn.

When I say that Phoenix was powerful, I mean that she could destroy whole planets without breaking a sweat ... she eventually reached the point where she became Dark Phoenix -- an evil incarntion of her personality and that made her a threat to some of the galaxy's more powerful alien races.

From what I remember, one or more of these alien races came to destroy Phoenix before she could do any more harm... which pitted the X-Men against the aliens who were trying to kill her. Finally seeing how much pain and grief she was causing to her friends, Phoenix committed suicide... and that was the end of Jean Grey...

Or so we thought.

As it turned out, it wasn't really Jean Grey that became Phoenix, but rather a clone of Jean Grey created by someone calling himself Mr. Sinister... a mutant who seemed to be preoccupied by the DNA of Jean Grey and Scott Summers, because he knew that he could create some all-powerful mutant by fooling around with their genes (this, of course, leads to the birth of Cable and X-Man, but that's anoher story). Anyway, after Phoenix dies, Jean Grey re-appears -- she was supposedly in suspended animation throughout the whole Phoenix saga..

It's a better story than I make it out to be, but you get the idea.

Like you, I noticed the fact that Professor X was smiling outside the window at the end of the movie and then we go to the river where Jean Grey died and it almost seemed as though something was about to rise from the water.... I took that to mean that the next movie might be about the Phoenix saga.

Quote:
i liked the evil mutants working together with the non evil mutants! it was a good plot.

That happened a lot in the comic books, because even though Professor X is like Martin Luther King to Magneto's Malcom X , they have a common enemy in the fear of non-mutants. For a time, while Professor X was away, Magneto was even the headmaster of the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters...

And during the Secret Wars saga (one of my personal favorites) an all-powerful entity, the Beyonder, brought most of Earth's superheroes and supervillians together to fight in a free-for-all and the winner would receive their fondest wish.

The odd thing was that the Beyonder separated the two groups by their personal desires and, oddly enough, the Beyonder placed Magneto in with the superheroes... much to their dismay. Anyway, the superheroes get pissed that Magneto is in with them and he basically leaves to be by himself. Professor X knows that Magneto is one of the most powerful beings in the group and he and the other X-Men go off to form an alliance with him... and later on save the other heroes when the evil group gets the drop on them.
PsionTen is offline   Reply With Quote