• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Wheel of Time: Crossroads of Twilight *SPOILERS*

SPOILERS BELOW>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well, I spent a year waiting for more Rober Jordan and i finally got it (finished reading it in 3 days at that). And all i can say afterwards is WTF??? Granted, i love the characters, always have, but i didn't see the point of this book. In all the others there was always something big happening at the end of it that resolves a problem set up earlier and at the end of this one we got Egwene (SP?) being captured. Granted it's bad but it's nothing that hasn't happened before.

Not only that, but Rand cleansed the male half of the source in the last book and we don't even get to see him do jack in this book. For that matter we don't even see him till we're over half way done with the book.

My main problem and the reason i'm ranting about this is that there was harldy anything at all in this book that furthered the story. All the problems that we had in book 9 are unresolved at the end of book 10. I, personally, would have been willing to wait another 6 months to a year for a better book. That's how low that book rates with me in this series.

Just in case there is someone who is reading this post that hasn't read the book i'll save you the trouble and sum it up for you real quick.
1. Perrin is gonna get help from the Seachan to get rid of the shaido.
2. Rand and the Seachan are trying to from an alliance to get rid of the Shaido (from different source than Perrin)
3. Egwene is betrayed by someone and captured by Aes Sedai in the White Tower.

That's about all that happened. I haven't decided yet whether i'm going to just quit reading this series till Jordan finishes it. I'll probally wait for the next book before deciding that and if 11 doesn't make up for what 10 did then i'll sit out and wait for the end of the series b4 picking it up again.

Sinc
Jerome

I was an avid reader of the Wheel of Time series until the last part of book 8. It just became a chore to read, so I stopped. I got book 9, but I read about a hundred pages before stopping that, too. I peeked at the last couple of pages to see that Rand cleansed the male part of the source. Now that I see book 10 is utter crap, I don't know if I will ever finish the series.

Someone once told me that if Jordan had resolved everything in 7 or 8 books, the WoT series would be the best fantasy series ever, with the possible exception of Lord of the Rings. Except for Jordan's sometimes overly long descriptions, I'm inclined to agree. Some people have speculated it's the publisher pushing him to keep writing far past what's healthy for the story to make more money off his books. I don't know about that, but I do know I don't have any more interest in the world of Rand, Nynaeve, Egwene, Mat and Perrin.

you know i was thinking about reading this book..

now you guys saved me the effort of wasting my "TIME"

Because of one person's opinion?

I can't just stop in the middle of a story like that. The great thing about libraries is that you don't have to pay for the book.

I usually can't stop in the middle of a story, either, but when it takes me over 3 weeks to muddle through a book I'd normally be able to read in 2 days, I know it's not really worth reading anymore. If I think of reading the book as a chore, then I won't, simple as that.

Yeah, I here ya.

While I've enjoyed The Wheel of Time more than not, it certainly could stand a bit more editing. I felt that it didn't really pick up until the third book or so. It all seems to get a bit repetitive.

I've all but stopped reading fantasy at this point, anyway, only keeping with Jordan's WoT and Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (which is way better).

Have you read the Song of Ice and Fire series by George Martin? It's good. Plenty of violence and sex, too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif And it's like B5 in that main characters die. They don't use magic very much, because in this world, magic died out with the dragons. And no one is really truly good or evil. Everyone has motivations for why they do what they do and it's up to you to decide what you want to label them. I read the current 3 books in less than a week. First one is A Game of Thrones, if you want to check it out. Hopefully you'll make sense of my disjointed, disorganized post. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've heard of George Martin. Thanks for the recommendation.

Right now, I don't have a library card and I don't want to buy books. Besides, like I said, I've generally lost interest in fantasy. Maybe one day I'll revisit it.

Current reading: Jane Eyre
Yep, that's right, the mighty GKarsEye is reading a sissy girly book.

Cool, I have a very, very old copy of Jane Eyre myself. Second edition, I think. I have't read it, though.

Well, you can always use bookstores as libraries. If you're short on cash, just grab a book and sit down to read it. I wouldn't recommend going for the paperbacks unless you can read them without cracking the spine. I've read whole books in Barnes & Noble before, I just carry a little piece of paper to write down what page I'm on for the next time I come in. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah, I know people that do that. However, I do most of my leisure reading in bed right before I go to sleep, so you can see how that might be a problem.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I really enjoyed the first 3 books of this set. Books 4 and 5 i thought were ok. Most ppl i know agree that 6, 7, and 8 should have been trimmed down and stuck into the same book because they kinda sucked. I thought 9 was pretty good. You already know about my opinion of 10.

My decision as of this point is that if i ever run out of anything interesting to read and if that sad day occurs around the time of book 11 (which at the rate i'm going the series will be over and Jordan will be LONG dead and gone) then i'll pick up the series again. I very much doubt that i'll run out of good reading matieral anytime soon tho, so alas, i say goodbye to a world of fanatsy that started out pretty interesting but sadly should have been finished at least 4 books past.

And i'm like you GKE, i do most of my reading b4 i go to bed in the mornings.

Sinc
Jerome

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back