B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old June 28th 22, 08:31   #11
LateArrival
Commander

Re: Rangers in the background

Episode 19 - Divided Loyalties: More of a Ranger in the Foreground. At about 2 mins 25-ish seconds a Ranger arrives to retrieve a data crystal from a mortally wounded person. He might be referred to in-scene as "Derek" (Edit: not "Eric") but the credits appear to list him as "First Man".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0219-Divided_02m40.jpg (44.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 0219-Divided_03m08s.jpg (45.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by LateArrival; June 29th 22 at 05:13.
LateArrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th 22, 16:04   #12
Springer
Telepath

I always found it surprising that at this stage in the show there was a Ranger on Mars helping the Mars resistance, since their remit was to watch what the Shadows were doing, not getting involved in local politics. Unless the Rangers knew about the Shadows' connection to Clark and just didn't tell anyone on B5?
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th 22, 05:37   #13
LateArrival
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I always found it surprising that at this stage in the show there was a Ranger on Mars helping the Mars resistance, since their remit was to watch what the Shadows were doing, not getting involved in local politics. Unless the Rangers knew about the Shadows' connection to Clark and just didn't tell anyone on B5?
Minbari never tell anyone the whole truth.

Perhaps they were investigating the sleeper program as that would be a direct threat to B5? Although they had to be aware of Morden's activities, and if he was seen meeting with people on Earth - Clark, Psi Corps, etc - uh oh... The audience sees some of this at the end of Matters of Honor (301) but guessing people on B5 can't make the connection till they get access to Ivanova's recording in Voices of Authority (305) and possibly recognize Morden's voice as the person speaking to Clark.

Last edited by LateArrival; June 29th 22 at 05:57.
Old June 29th 22, 12:09   #14
Looney
Psi Cop

Ugggggh now I have to go back and watch the episode for context, but I don't ever recall thinking the Rangers were helping the resistance. Ah shucks! Forced to watch DIVIDED LOYALTIES for research purposes.......
Old June 29th 22, 17:01   #15
LateArrival
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Ugggggh now I have to go back and watch the episode for context, but I don't ever recall thinking the Rangers were helping the resistance. Ah shucks! Forced to watch DIVIDED LOYALTIES for research purposes.......
Were Rangers actively helping or just relaying a message that went from the Data Crystal to Lyta's ears? All speculation. Then again, how "secret" can your organization be if everyone wears a particular outfit with a distinctive pin on the front? The Shadows knew enough to go after the Ranger training base at the beginning of season three. Edit/Update: When Marcus and Franklin met with the Mars Resistance two years-ish later, their contacts didn't appear to be aware of "Rangers". Other than "You're a long way from Texas son."

Last edited by LateArrival; July 1st 22 at 20:02.
Old July 3rd 22, 11:17   #16
LateArrival
Commander

Guessing the final scene of The Long Twilight Struggle wouldn't count since the Rangers were there to meet Sheridan, just as one met with Garibaldi in Coming of Shadows. Kept skipping about and noticed a Ranger near the end of Episode 22 - The Fall of Night. With Marcus arriving in season 3, would he become B5's Resident (and only) Ranger on the station?

Beginning around 40 minutes 45 seconds-ish, a Narn and Drazi are having drinks and discussing what they saw in the garden. Ranger comes in from the left, passes behind Londo, and exits to the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0222-Fall_40m50s.jpg (54.2 KB, 7 views)
Old July 3rd 22, 23:30   #17
Looney
Psi Cop

Okay so yeah going back to DIVIDED LOYALTIES just because I wanted to mention that you tortured me into having to watch it for the 30TH time. I didn't see any direct indication that The Rangers were helping the Mars Resistance. All I see is a member of the Resistance meeting with a Ranger. For all we know it was just because of a personal relationship. I look at it terms of Marcus Cole. Marcus had contacts. He did them favors they did him favors. If he had contact with someone in the Mars Resistance it doesn't mean the Rangers were directly helping or supporting the Resistance.