• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Official BSG S3 Spoiler Thread

I thought the Cylons just showed up every thirty-three minutes.... and while it did take time for the jumps to be calculated and that information given out at the last possible moment so the ships being tracked couldn't be tracked, and some ships took longer than others to get ready to jump... :( that's all the time they had.

33 minutes was basically the time it took for the Cylons to trace where they had jumped to next. So the Cylons catch them, they jump away, and they have 33 minutes to get everyone coordinated again before the Cylons trace where they went to and find them again. Also, I'm not sure if that episode itself is what established it, but it has been shown before that most of the setup time is getting the fleet coordinated (think beginning of season 2, where they didn't bother to make sure everyone was coordinated--they all jumped away pretty fast, but Galactica and the fleet got separated completely). Or it could be partially the time the civilian craft FTL drives take to spin back up, since they're not military-grade.

Either way, I don't think the Adama Maneuver violated any existing FTL/jump drive laws we've been shown thus far. Even the fact that they can jump into as well as out of an atmo isn't really against continuity--as Adama very succinctly showed, it's just not something that's really recommended :)

--mcn

The Pegasus newer than the Galatica and was shown that it was much tougher than Galatica too. And think Cain even mentioned the Pegasus took out a few basestars single handly.

here is a quote I found from here
It is the Battlestar Pegasus, a Mercury-class battlestar more advanced than the Galactica, commanded by female Admiral Nelena Cain.

Cain tells Adama and Roslin that the Battlestar Pegasus was docking at the Scorpion Fleet Shipyard, its crew preparing for an extended shore leave when the Cylon attack began. The Cylons nuked the shipyard without warning, destroying other battlestars and killing a quarter of the Pegasus's crew in a moment. To save the ship and the surviving crew, Cain ordered a blind jump -- no calculations, no direction. The ship could have ended up anywhere.

The jump time limit was with the fleet.

I'm still at the end of season 2 so I shouldn't be here at all :eek: but I don't mind not getting shocked. It's worth mentioning that the Pegasus had also had it's computer networking disabled as it was going to be refit while the crew were on the aforementioned shore leave. That coupled with the blind jump, more than a dequately explains it in my book.

I've quite liked these first few episodes. Some minor reservations, but I vastly prefered it over the second half of the second season - which just didn't do anything at all for me.

Kudos for the political commentary. Political commentary on TV is something that can be awesome or tedious, depending on how gutsy it is done. This had so many guts that I'm surprised they actually got through with it - that everyone invovled was content enough with it to actually do it.

Downsides, though minor:

*) The Starbuck plotline - I wouldn't have minded it per se .. just that .. why? What were the Cylons trying to do?

Which is something that bugged me in season 2 majorly .. that often they try to make the cylons' motivations seem "mysterious" and "ambiguous" .. but they just come off as looney.

*) Big fucking reset button anyone?? :D .. not that I really minded. But it was kind of funny how, with the exception of how character relationships have changed and how Baltar is now hanging out with the cylons .. almost everything is back to status quo. Even the beards did a reset :D .. I guess with about a decade on Trek, it would be a bit odd if RDM had forgotten the technique.

Not that it necessarily is bad for the show. I don't mind status quo the BSG way, and I do hope they'll work well with the material left from this plotline.

Like, for example .. hell on earth ahead for Gaeta?

*) The Starbuck plotline - I wouldn't have minded it per se .. just that .. why? What were the Cylons trying to do?

I honestly don't think it was the Cylons as a whole that were trying to do something with Starbuck; I think it was just Leoben being a deluded, manipulative ass for his own personal reasons.

I'd be fine with the plotline if we ever find out why .. what the cylons wanted from Starbuck.

Otherwise, it just doesn't seem to make much sense. It just seemed like the cylons were being anal for the fun of it.

As for whatall Starbuck went through on Caprica during season two, I'd say the Cylons wanted the same thing from her that they did from the other women they captured: subjects for breeding experiments.

As for what Leoben wanted from Starbuck there on New Caprica, I still think as I stated earlier: that Leoben wants to experience love but is too perverted in understanding what love is to actually experience it. So he coerced Starbuck to say "I love you" much in the same way that any abusive human gets off on using various forms of threats and manipulations to make someone say it.

*) Big fucking reset button anyone?? :D .. not that I really minded. But it was kind of funny how, with the exception of how character relationships have changed and how Baltar is now hanging out with the cylons .. almost everything is back to status quo. Even the beards did a reset :D .. I guess with about a decade on Trek, it would be a bit odd if RDM had forgotten the technique.

Not that it necessarily is bad for the show. I don't mind status quo the BSG way, and I do hope they'll work well with the material left from this plotline.

Like, for example .. hell on earth ahead for Gaeta?

I really wouldn't call what BSg did a reset button, certainly not comparing it to Trek Reset Buttons. The Trek reset button, typically erased everything that happened, and it had no impact on canon (often future stories contradicted the canon that was reset) and people who died, weren't dead afterall.

BSG did nothing to try and erase what happened or pretend it didn't happen. They just flipped the tables over and spun off story threads, relating to coming through what happened.

exactly, just getting back into space with the collaborators among them is going to have major ramifications, possibly even spanning multiple seasons.

Well this episode is the big reset button. They spaced the webisodes/caprica 2 character Jammer, resolved the presidency with Roslin back in, handle the trials of collaborators all pardoned.

Only things left may some residual anger from Kara, Tye. And lasting memory from caprica 2 being Tye's eye and his wife, and Baltar with the cylons. Though wonder with Roslin pardon , dose that mean they won't space Baltar if the colonies ever get there hands on him again? Will Roslin honor the vp offer to Richard hatch character, or reneg after his death tribunes <my bet is Hatch character won't be vp or not for long just cause they won't want him to be regular or semi regular cast member>.

I don't think it was a reset button. The characters have all be changed dramatically. That's a story in and of itself.

I totally can see Jammer getting away with his actions.

Well, that didn't happen, did it. :)

I don't think they have hit the "reset" button as many have posted. As someone said above, many of these characters have changed dramatically as a result of the occupation. Humanity itself is in even worse shape than ever. Putting Roslin back in office only seems natural. It is completely believable that after going through what the population did, they would think "boy we screwed up, we wish we had her back."

Yes, it looks like they will try to get back to their quest for Earth, as they should, but there is a lot more baggage now and the episodes still seem to be fresh and different.

Also, did anyone notice this season, in the opening credits, where they say there are 41,000 survivors, where last season it was the 50,000 number? The population of humanity took a 20% drop between season 2 and season 3. That is significant.

I really think Tom Zarek is one of the more interesting characters in the show. I thought Roslin was going to fire him from being VP after his move with the secret jury, but instead she made an inspired move, and I think its the right one. There is a lot of cleaning up to do. Zarek actually looked like he respected her decision and was happy for it, maybe regretting his. It will be interesting to see if he learns from working with her, or if he continues to be the rogue he has been in the past.

Yeah, interesting move by Roslyn. It gives us room to have Baltar back, too. After all, he would be included in the pardon. =)

And I guess all our questions were answered in regard to Zerrick being VP or Pres... etc. I think he'll be a good VP. He'll get jobs done that Roslyn can't.

I don't think they have hit the "reset" button as many have posted.

Nah, not really. It *could* have been on a poorer show :D

Curious to see what comes next though. Characters have changed, but basically, they are just where they were a year ago now.

;)

And CB. I guess its true that in a sense, they are where they were a year ago, if in that you mean on the run in space from the Cylons. That might not change, and that's not what makes this show good. Its everything else surrounding that, which makes the show great. And in that sense, they are in a very different place right now.

Zarek actually looked like he respected her decision and was happy for it, maybe regretting his.

Remember that his stated goal was to give Roselyn a "clean" slate in her new term, where she wouldn't be focusing on trials and who-dunnits. He was happy because her approach results in that goal. It also re-affirms his new position that, while he and Roselyn have wildly different philosophies of power, both are necessary. And besides, he still gets to be VP.

I think they did hit a bit reset button but that's OK, I don't mind. Yeah, characters change, but it's not like any of them really are THAT different. Heck, they even made Starbuck split from her hubby.

Speaking of which- I like that guy, but it was weird that he "didn't sign up for this" and quit. WTF did he think he signed up for?

I liked the actress who was kind of in charge of the "jury." She seems like she could give Starbuck a run for her money in the intense-warrior-chick.

I'm worried that the new Baltar subplot will be lame. They tell him to come with them and now they're "debating" on whether to keep him? Meh.

Favorite moment: Tigh (who seems to be grabbing all of them), talking about killing his wife, and how he liked her a hell of a lot more than Gaita.

Zarek actually looked like he respected her decision and was happy for it, maybe regretting his.

Remember that his stated goal was to give Roselyn a "clean" slate in her new term, where she wouldn't be focusing on trials and who-dunnits. He was happy because her approach results in that goal. It also re-affirms his new position that, while he and Roselyn have wildly different philosophies of power, both are necessary. And besides, he still gets to be VP.

I think they did hit a bit reset button but that's OK, I don't mind. Yeah, characters change, but it's not like any of them really are THAT different. Heck, they even made Starbuck split from her hubby.

Speaking of which- I like that guy, but it was weird that he "didn't sign up for this" and quit. WTF did he think he signed up for?

I liked the actress who was kind of in charge of the "jury." She seems like she could give Starbuck a run for her money in the intense-warrior-chick.

I'm worried that the new Baltar subplot will be lame. They tell him to come with them and now they're "debating" on whether to keep him? Meh.

Favorite moment: Tigh (who seems to be grabbing all of them), talking about killing his wife, and how he liked her a hell of a lot more than Gaita.

Anders thought he was signing up to see justice done, i liked how Kara told him to leave because she was scared she would hurt him if he stayed. I wonder if she took his name? Plus he will be back later in the season.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back