• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The "Sci-Fi" Channel, Really???

Re: The \"Sci-Fi\" Channel, Really???

Why, MAY 19 is the best date since... well, since... Heck, I'm not sure.

And if we're lucky, maybe we'll get a May 19: Part II.

Well, thing is, I happen to like all the 19ths of months, so I was wondering why it was so special to GKKR. I also considered that it might be because of the Star Wars connection -- they were routinely released on or around May 19th.

Then I realized that it was GKKR, and I was reading WAY too much into this.

Bonnie Hammer.
People who like the idea of L&O and Wrestling on "The Sci-Fi Channel"

KoshN goes off to take a bottle of Excedrin, and one bottle may not be enough. :rolleyes:

WWE issued the following press release today:

WWE BRINGS ECW TO SCI FI CHANNEL

New York, N.Y., May 25, 2006 - SCI FI Channel today announced that World Wrestling Entertainment, the producer of the No. 1 weekly basic cable TV series, "Monday Night RAW "on USA Network, will debut a summer series on Tuesday, June 13, at 10 p.m. ET/PT. ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling) will be an alternative brand of wrestling suited to fit the SCI FI Channelís commitment to fuel the imagination.

"Research tells us that there's a healthy appetite for wrestling among SCI FI viewers," said Bonnie Hammer, President, USA and SCI FI Channel. "With ECW, we're able to deliver to those fans unique action with a twist that's perfect for SCI FI."

"ECW on SCI FI will push the boundaries of sports entertainment in new and unexpected ways," said Vince McMahon, Chairman of World Wrestling Entertainment.

For more information, go to ECW.com.

SCI FI Channel is a television network where "what if" is what's on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 85 million homes, SCI FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.

World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: WWE) is an integrated media and entertainment company headquartered in Stamford, Conn., with offices in New York City, Los Angeles, Toronto and London. Additional information on the company can be found at wwe.com and corporate.wwe.com.

source: PWInsider.com

"Research tells us that there's a healthy appetite for wrestling among SCI FI viewers," said Bonnie Hammer, President, USA and SCI FI Channel. "With ECW, we're able to deliver to those fans unique action with a twist that's perfect for SCI FI."
Aside from the fact that I do agree with that research (my friends and I all love both wrestling programs and much of SCI FI's lineup), Bonnie Hammer has clearly gone insane. (Some would argue that this happened a while ago -- you say potato, I say po-tah-to...)

Wrestling clearly has no place on SCI FI... especially the ECW brand. For those who don't know, the E in ECW stands for Extreme. This means their storylines are darker, their matches are more violent, and their themes are more adult-oriented. Granted, under the WWE umbrella, I don't expect them to be nearly as "extreme" as they used to be before the company was bought by WWE. But I fail to see (and quite frankly am a little worried by) Hammer's meaning behind the "twist that's perfect for SCI FI."

I stand by my earlier statement that the only reason we're seeing ECW on SCI FI right now is because of scheduling, and because NBC/Universal wants to keep WWE programming on one of their stations. As far as scheduling goes, SCI FI's is the most malleable, since they have less original programming than most stations. WWE's Friday night Smackdown show is on UPN, and will continue on the new CBS-owned CW network. That probably doesn't sit too well with some folks at NBC/Universal, but that deal was made when WWE programming was being hosted by SpikeTV.

Despite the awkward choice of channels though... I will be watching it. :)

So, are they gonna dress up in SciFi costumes and masks?

Or maybe Horror masks. The real Jason vs Freddy, right here on SciFi channel Tuesday at 10PM. Next week, we'll be bringing you Michael Meyers vs Pinhead.

Aside from the fact that I do agree with that research (my friends and I all love both wrestling programs and much of SCI FI's lineup)
I would argue that this is random overlap. Virtually any two genres will have some overlap in their viewership, Lifetime movies of the week and Skinemax After Dark ..... whatever.

I don't think that there is any strong corellation between SF and pro wrestling. That is to say: I don't think that percentage of SF fans that also watch wrestling is noticably higher than the percentage for non-fans of SF. If anything, I would guess that the percentage of SF fans who watch is wrestling is probably somewhat lower than the percentage in the general population (based on the reactions that I see / hear / read across a couple message boards and in real life ..... not to mention TNT's studies about how few of their viewers watched both B5 and its neighbors in the schedule, which very often included wrestling; that lack of corellation in the audiances was precisely the reason that they torpedoed Crusade).

Hammer and SciFi should be looking for programming that has a higher than average viewer corellation ...... assuming that they are still trying build viewer consistancy and any kind of "brand" recognition.

Wrestling isn't it. (Even apart from the fact that it *nothing* to do with their nominal theme.)

Hammer and SciFi should be looking for programming that has a higher than average viewer corellation ...... assuming that they are still trying build viewer consistancy and any kind of "brand" recognition.

Who said Bonnie Hammer ever wanted to draw more science fiction viewers to the Sci-Fi channel? Hasn't she pretty much said she feels she's made the station a success by not targetting that audience?

She wants viewers, numbers, any kind will do. Isn't that pretty much the way she's run the station?

Actually, things have gotten quite a bit better lately for the science fiction fan who used to watch Sci-Fi. Although I'd much rather see old sci-fi shown in their "off" hours, if they can make more money showing wrestling then go for it.

As long as they keep showing Dr. Who. :)

Yes, SciFi has *long* followed a much broader charter than their name would imply.

However, *every* network wants shows that "help" each other .... where viewers of one show will tend to be tempted to check out others based on their on air promos during that show, and vice versa. In the modern TV arena, with large numbers of channels, that's often where you are most likely to be able to tell potential viewers about your upcoming shows.

Even with SciFi's broadened charter, I don't see wrestling as being a good fit in that regard. It may well be a somewhat less bad fit than it would be if SciFi was really pure SF, but that doesn't make it a good fit.

Well, I was surprised when Star Trek TNG and DS9 both went to Spike TV (the network for men). I believe they also have wrestling.

There may be more of a connection than we think; if it's working for Spike t.v. then I can see Sci-Fi trying it, too.

Well, as long as this works out, I'd gladly take wrestling on Sci-Fi over another awful original show I'd never watch, which would be pretty much everything to come out these days that doesn't land on Friday nights. Heh.

And I think Spike TV's reason for adding Trek to the network works more along the lines of adding a well known franchise to the lineup as opposed to trying to attract sci-fi fans, since Trek has more or less become a popular mainstream entity. Also, in the more bitter and spiteful regions of my mind, I imagine it's their way of trying to make themselves seem "intelligent" or "cultured" in the ways of man, much like people who read The Da Vinci Code so they can feel like they've become a member in some secret society of pseudo intellectuals and pompous fools. Or maybe there's a description of that idea that isn't so overblown.

The same thing goes for airing Trek on G4, but since they're now just Spike TV: Part II, the same basic concept works for them as well.

To sum up basic thoughts on the matter...

ECW = Good (I hope)
Wrestling on Sci-Fi Channel = Conflicted Thoughts
Always Funky Fresh = Can Never Be Stale

WWE issued the following press release today:

New York, N.Y., May 25, 2006 - SCI FI Channel today announced that World Wrestling Entertainment, the producer of the No. 1 weekly basic cable TV series, "Monday Night RAW "on USA Network, will debut a summer series on Tuesday, June 13, at 10 p.m. ET/PT. ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling) will be an alternative brand of wrestling suited to fit the SCI FI Channelís commitment to fuel the imagination.

"ECW on SCI FI will push the boundaries of sports entertainment in new and unexpected ways," said Vince McMahon, Chairman of World Wrestling Entertainment.

<barf> "I think I've just thrown up everything I've eaten in the last twelve years." <barf> :(

You sound like Garibaldi during his withdrawls. ;)

:beer:

Goodness, Antony wasn't kidding about the beer smilie, was he?

All because we stopped asking him for new smilies, the new guy gets one right away. :rolleyes:

:LOL: ;) :D

You sound like Garibaldi during his withdrawls. ;)

:beer:

That was the intent, although I couldn't find the quote, or remember the episode title, so I went with the quote from memory.

ps. I just posted the following to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.scifi.channel,and rec.arts.sf.tv:

<kilnamusic@....> wrote in message
news:1148663757.927683.277280@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
> SCI-FI CHANNEL BROADENS HORIZONS WITH NEW SHOWS
> Released by Sci Fi
>
> New York, N.Y., May 26, 2006 - SCI FI channel today announced that
they
> will be adding three shows to their lineup on the week of June 13,
> building on the announcement yesterday of the addition of ECW "Extreme
> Championship Wrestling" to the channel's fare.

<BARF!>

> The new shows exemplify
> SCI FI's commitment to quality programming and understanding their
> viewership.

How can anybody say that without busting out laughing? Remember, "Liar,
Liar" ? I wish somebody could apply that wish to Bonnie and company,
and then have them read their press releases aloud Now THAT would be
comedy!!!.

> "Research tells us that in addition to wrestling enthusiasts, there is
> a strong presence of fashion-conscious socialites, urban youth and
> uncomplicated outdoorsmen in our audience." said Bonnie Hammer,
> President, USA and SCI FI Channel.

...who probably come to The Sci-Fi Channel to see sci-fi.

> "We're broadening our horizons and
> delivering content that speaks to our viewers.

You're DILUTING the channel. You're making The Sci-Fi Channel name not
mean ANYTHING. It should be the We'll Whore for Any Group Channel.

> We have a history of
> giving science fiction fans exactly what they want, shows like
> 'Crossing Over with John Edwards' and 'Passions'."

Again, how can anybody say that without busting out laughing? They have
a history of programming lots and lots of UTTER SHIT around a couple of
good, new sci-fi shows.

> "We have new partnerships with BET, the Outdoor Life Network and the
> Fox network's reality TV show division

<BARF!!!>

> which prove just how well we know our viewers."

Bonnie, you don't know jack.

> The first addition to the lineup, "Shallow Water Angler", will show on
> Wednesdays at 9pm. "It puts an exiting and fresh perspective on the
> world of fly-fishing, something that our market research tells us
> science fiction fans have been 'hooked' on for a long time" said
> Hammer.

<BARF!>

> On Thursdays at 9pm, the hit Hip-Hop and R&B show "106 and Park" from
> the BET network will join the schedule. "We saw MTV's increase in
> quality in the 80's after adding diverse shows like YO! MTV Raps, and
> then subsequently more content unrelated to music. We want to pattern
> our new direction after their coherent strategy of expanding past the
> channel's name. Just like Music Television is about more than music,
> so is the SCI FI Channel. 106 and Park will allow us to connect to
the
> streets, because we know that's where the science fiction fans chill,
> yo!"

<BARF!!>

> Finally, on Fridays at 9pm, the third season of the hit Paris Hilton
> show "The Simple Life" will air, "giving our in-crowd jet-setters
> something to talk about" said Hammer. "Research shows that many of
our
> viewers are in 'I.T.', so we decided to give them the quintessential
> 'it girl'. Paris, and her intrepid pal Nicole Richie leave their
limos
> behind and adventure across the country... it's a fantastic show
> because it's not only entertaining, but it gives young girls excellent
> role models.

<BARF!!!> So, Paris Hilton is now an excellent role model for young
girls??? Is the person who writes Sci-Fi Channel press releases on
drugs?

> Paris enthusiastically tries new things in front of a
> video camera, she's a great example."

What, new positions???

> "We're excited about the new opportunity these shows provide, we can
> show the science fiction audience precisely how much we listen to
> them."

If you listened to them, you'd quit DILUTING the damned channel, or at
least have the guts to change the name of the channel. Call it USA-2.

> About SCI FI Channel: A television network where 'what if' is what's
> on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers through high quality
> original programming such as "Chupacabra: Dark Seas", "Frankenfish"
> and "Mansquito". Visit us at http://www.scifi.com

What If the Sci-Fi Channel had a leader who knew people come to the
Sci-Fi Channel to see sci-fi
? Doh! Whould've thought?!

> More information on the "Shallow Water Angler" television show and
> accompanying magazine can be found at
http://www.shallowwaterangler.com
>
> Details about "106 and Park" can be located at http://www.bet.com
>
> Yesterday's announcement regarding ECW "Extreme Championship
Wrestling"
> can be found at http://www.wwe.com/shows/ecw/ecwlaunch

I am soooo glad I quit watching this channel in 2003. I buy the SG-1 &
Battlestar Galactica DVDs, and in that way can avoid the tool's idea of
"quality programming."

Perfectly applicable to the entire "Sci-Fi" Channel press release:
"It's not so much that you can't make this stuff up, it's that you wish
you HAD to." - Jon Stewart

People who want to watch a show about fishing already have channels where they watch those shows. They won't watch Sci-Fi for it.

People who want to watch shake-ya-ass noise (I won't call it music) already tune in to MTV and BET. They won't watch the same thing on Sci-Fi because the idea of watching the Sci-Fi channel isn't "cool" to that crowd.

"Chupacabra: Dark Seas", "Frankenfish" and "Mansquito" are not "high-quality programming."

Bonnie Hammer needs to be replaced in the worst way. I mean the "hooked" joke doesn't even approach being funny...

People who want to watch a show about fishing already have channels where they watch those shows. They won't watch Sci-Fi for it.

People who want to watch shake-ya-ass noise (I won't call it music) already tune in to MTV and BET. They won't watch the same thing on Sci-Fi because the idea of watching the Sci-Fi channel isn't "cool" to that crowd.

"Chupacabra: Dark Seas", "Frankenfish" and "Mansquito" are not "high-quality programming."

Bonnie Hammer needs to be replaced in the worst way. I mean the "hooked" joke doesn't even approach being funny...

It looks like most of that post was made-up and/or intended as sarcasm. It was built upon the legit story:

I guess the whole thing was a troll job designed to rile the sci-fi fans.

Strangely the replies that I posted on 5/27 haven't made it yet, but the one I sent today is already there. :rolleyes:

well this is scary was looking at http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=37707&type=0
and saw they had the ratings for the sci fi network shows on the right sides and saw that ECW is there #1 rated show. Now that a little scary thought not too surprising since belive wwf is like the #1 rated cable program for USA. Here are the ratings

ratings week of 8/7/06-8/13/06
ECW 2.1
Eureka 2.0
Stargate Atlantis 1.6
Savage Planet 1.5
Stargate SG-1 1.4
Who Wants to Be a Superhero? 1.2
Tornado: Nature Unleashed 1.0
Volcano: Nature Unleashed 0.9
Dead Like Me 0.9
Avalanche: Nature Unleashed 0.9

Other surprise is ratings Eureka got , forgot if the first week of august was Eureka premier or not.

Are those ratings recent? If so most of those shows are just running reruns right now...

And the scarier thing is they decided to run "RAW" wrestling last night (supposedly only the one night though). ECW Wrestling is on Tuesday nights.

those were ratings of the week of the 7th of august. Stargates and Eureka all were new episodes, not sure but maybe Eureka premier or second episode know it got good ratings for its premier.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back