• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

British Sitcoms

I didn't know there were books. But I really do think that Yes, Minister (and Yes, PM) were two of the funniest shows I have ever seen. Eh, the funniest? Are they technically conisdered the same?
laugh.gif

It was great fun. I wish it had gone on longer.
frown.gif

I know, I read Kribu's comment.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

shows are normally written by a maximum of 2 people, when they run out of ideas they stop

Or, as in the case of The Sandbaggers, when writer/creator of the show dies in a crash of a small aircraft they stop.

Not that The Sandbaggers was a comedy. It did have its funny moments in its own odd way, though.

Thank you so much Pillow for the summary. A lot of things make more sense now and it also makes me want to see it from the beginning.
tongue.gif

I saw part of another episode where I think it was Susan who pretended to be French and her boyfriend pretended to be an Aussie. I now remember that Julia was like Susan's boss or business partner? What does everyone do for a living anyway?

I saw part of another episode where I think it was Susan who pretended to be French and her boyfriend pretended to be an Aussie
That would be the last episode of the second series.

I now remember that Julia was like Susan's boss or business partner?
I think "boss" is more accurate. They have been a little vague about exactly what they do, but Susan seems to be a mid-level executive of some sort. She has a fair sized private office, which we have seen a couple times. Julia, on the other hand, is at the level of having a private washroom attached to her office (and we have seen that).

What does everyone do for a living anyway?

OK,.....
As stated earlier, Sally is a beautician. It is unclear whether she has her own shop, although a couple of things that we have seen through the run of the show would seem to make it more likely that it was her shop than that she was an employee.

Jane is in radio as "on air talent". For a while she was the announcer that was up in the traffic helicopter. I'm not sure whether that is still her specific job.

I believe that there were a couple lines of dialog that said that Jeff was in accounting.

It is unclear whether Susan's background is also accounting. Jeff may just be in the accounting department of the same company.

The writer of the show (Steven Moffat) has implied on the BBC America web site that Steve is a writer. (Did I mention that the producer of the show is the wife of the writer and her name is Sue?
wink.gif
)

I think that all we know about what Patrick does is that he wears a suit to work, can get out of the office for a while in the afternoon if he wants to, has a secretary, and does something where it is possible to build up a sort of personal rivalry with somone from another company that he sees repeatedly at conferences or whatever.

Oh good, so it is ok that I am a bit confused as to what everyone does because it has never really been clearly defined. Whew.
smile.gif

I would have never pegged Sally as a beautician however!
laugh.gif

I think TLC over here has copied the idea and made their own What Not to Wear show, just like they copied Changing Rooms with Trading Spaces. I haven't seen it yet, though, and I get the feeling it would be inferior, just as our TS is to CR.
smile.gif

If you really want to see an inferior version of the show, try The Decorating Challenge. It's the worst of all three in my opinion. But I still watch it religiously
blush.gif
smile.gif

The Decorating Challenge is on W Network, or something like that. I just knew I turn to channel 21 to watch it, but that doesn't mean a whole lot
smile.gif

Is that a different show than Designer's Challenge?

Designer's Challenge is on HGTV. It is the one where 3 different designers draw up plans and present their ideas and then the home owners pick one.

Yes, it's a different show than Designer's Challenge. The Decorating Challenge has two couples switch and redesign a room in the other home, and each team has a professional designer and carpenter to work with.

Back