• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

My Centauri Trilogy Review *Slight Spoilers*

The_One

Regular
Well, not so much a review, but my general praise and comments on this great reading experience. I actually finished reading the trilogy some months ago, but have only just got round to posting up my feedback.

In all honesty, I was blown away. It's kind of "un-put-downable" - obviously, you need a break from reading it every now and again; but I found it difficult to tear myself away (especially when still reading at 1am with work a few hours later!).

I just love how Peter David provides a new story with new characters, whilst seamlessly interlinking this with well known events within the B5 universe. He does try a little too hard on occaison eg. the Senna-In The Beginning link, and how he references his own episode (Soul Mates) just a little too much. But still, apart from a couple of problems, it's executed absolutely flawlessly.

You can tell he's really done his reasearch - Londo is written very well, and it's very easy to imagine him in your mind - as are the other characters present.

The character arc of Vir is perhaps the highlight, and really what the whole trilogy is about. At the beginning of the trilogy, he still has a bit of the "fool" about him. By the end, he's the hero - his episodes with the various technomages are great, and an absolute joy to read.

I also loved reading Londo's diary entries - kudos to Peter David for realising these snippets so well. What I found really staggering, thinking back on it, was the amount the author managed to fit into the books. As well as filling in nearly all of the gaps left open after B5 finished, he manages to create a whole host of other stories and episodes, which play so well in the overall context of the books. By the end of the trilogy, you're left exhausted by such an exhilerating read, and wanting more!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading these books, and would recommend them highly to any B5 fan wanting more than what's already available on screen.

I've kinda entered a B5 reading phase - after re-watching the series on DVD, I was inspired to! First, I read The Shadow Within, then the Centauri Trilogy. Last night I started the Technomage trilogy, although it's a little more difficult seeing where that's going. At least with the Centauri Trilogy, you have some rough idea of where you're headed, and what the book has to accomplish by the time you close it.

Superlative stuff!

I agree that the Centauri trilogy is an excellent read. It's been quite some time since I've read it, but a series like that isn't so easily forgettable! ;)

It was great to see Senna involved in the story, and Mariel as well. And I agree that Vir really comes into his own in this series. I found myself rooting for him and for Senna. :D

And of course, reading about Londo was great too. Reading this series gives you some insight into Londo's final days and just how much he loved his world and his people.

Yeah, who would've though Lord Refa's daughter would be French?

By the way, I remember reading that the two children were related to Urza Jaddo (sp?), whose family Londo swore to protect in "Knives".

Centauri Trilogy is thought by most, I believe, to be the best of the Trilogies. I certainly enjoyed it, for all the reasons mentioned.

The Technomage Trilogy, some folks think Book 1 takes too long to get going (I enjoyed the slow start personally) but once you get pass the first 100 pages of the first book, it really comes alive as well.

Telepath trilogy is my favorite, highly recomended.

Centauri books are very good read but are sometimes a little dull. It feels like random B5 episode and that isn't always a good thing. What i liked about Telepath trilogy is that it is more independent trilogy with it's own beginning, middle and the end; Centauri trilogy feels too much as a tie in.

If only Peter David could have gotten his year dates right, so they'd mesh with Crusade, instead of being a year off.

I liked the Centauri and Technomage trilogies about equally well, with maybe the Technomage trilogy pulling ahead by a nose.

I'm only about 40 pages into the Technomage Trilogy; and yes, it is quite slow - but I'm still enjoying it! I think it's great to flesh out the character of Elric, despite him having only a few minutes of screen time in the main series. Looking forward to seeing where it's all going.

I preferred the Technomage series and least preferred the Telepath series, but can see why someone else would see it the other way around.

For me the most interesting thing in the Centauri Trilogy is that it explains why Londo had the intro in The Gathering - because B5 is the story of B5 as told by Londo (with more being filled in later by Vir)!

It made me wonder what Sheridan and Delenn and Ivanova were REALLY like, given that Londo and Vir didn't exactly have a dispassionate view of them (though I am positive that they got Garibaldi down cold). Fun stuff.

I'm only about 40 pages into the Technomage Trilogy; and yes, it is quite slow - but I'm still enjoying it! I think it's great to flesh out the character of Elric, despite him having only a few minutes of screen time in the main series. Looking forward to seeing where it's all going.

Yes, it starts out slow. It's laying the groundwork, describing life on Soom, what Elric left behind when he came to B5 in "The Geometry of Shadows." The Psi Corps trilogy started out similarly slow, describing the early history of teeps on Earth. Had to be done.

The Technomage trilogy is an excellent read. Take notes, 'cause you'll need 'em later. Let me know what you think of Herazade. :devil:

I think the Technomage Trilogy was a bit more "sloppy" in its "intertwining" with the B5 TV Series.

*Spoliers*

The part where the mages were leaving B5 [Geometry of Shadows] and having 2 ships...one that exploded, to me was just plain and simple non-cannon. If it happened, you would have known about it in the episode...that sort of thing just doesn't happen on B5 without all the alarms going off, and the episode ended with Sheridan right there.

There were other parts as well that just seemed a bit hoakey to me. A lot of Galen being on Z'Ha'Dum for example, just didn't seem 100% right.

Well I guess JMS said the book is "mostly" cannon, so perhaps he had some other thoughts to things like that, and those two observances aren't "cannon" after all.

---------

I do agree that I think the Centauri Trilogy was the best. I liked the Psi-Corp one as well, and it was more epic in some ways and I loved how it tied into so many characters, but i just liked the FEEL of the Centauri Trilogy better. Technomage would have been more of a favorite except for those inconsistencies I talked about eariler.

I think the Technomage Trilogy was a bit more "sloppy" in its "intertwining" with the B5 TV Series.

*Spoliers*

The part where the mages were leaving B5 [Geometry of Shadows] and having 2 ships...one that exploded, to me was just plain and simple non-cannon. If it happened, you would have known about it in the episode...that sort of thing just doesn't happen on B5 without all the alarms going off, and the episode ended with Sheridan right there.

And that last part is just about what I told Jeanne Cavelos. You did see her response, right? If not, I'll dig it up. Jeanne and I emailed back and forth about it.

There were other parts as well that just seemed a bit hoakey to me. A lot of Galen being on Z'Ha'Dum for example, just didn't seem 100% right.

Where Galen contacts Sheridan? Yeah, that was a bit sloppy, but minor compared to the faux pas of the Ondavi exploding between B5 and the Epsilon jumpgate, and us not seeing or hearing anything about that in "The Geometry of Shadows." IMHO, she tried to get a bit too clever with her interweaving, and she tripped and fell down, and now pretty much refuses to admit there's a real problem.

Well I guess JMS said the book is "mostly" cannon, so perhaps he had some other thoughts to things like that, and those two observances aren't "cannon" after all.

1. canon. "cannon" is something that shoots, or a brand of towels. :p

2. Only the Ondavi explosion location, and who saw it in the book (their reactions), is non-canon, IMHO. The rest is OK, not perfect, but OK.

Of course they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the psi-corps, simply because I think the Corps is possibly the most clever, effecting concept in all of Babylon 5.

SPOILERS...

The technomage is my least favorite for a number of reasons:

- The canon interweaving stuff, as described above. It's worse with the Z'ha Dum action because that's one of those pivotal, galaxy-shaking events that I'd rather leave alone.

- The Mages are mysterious and the books kill some of that. But then I think the the mages are kind of hokey, anyway. Wouldn't it be weird if people with such advanced technology would use it to imitate characters from Dungeons & Dragons?

Centauri trilogy:

- Vir hooking up with Londo's wife bugs me for some reason. And again the technomages are meddling... wait, now I forget which book it was where they told him the 14 magic words... that really bothered me, taking a throw-away line invented to add a bit of mystery to a scene literally and making it a major plot point.

These two trilogies just don't "feel" like they completely fit with the B5 stories, so I consider some of it an interesting alt-universe thingy.

The Psi-Corps stuff, however, does fit in real pretty 'cause none of it happens at the same time as anything that happened on screen and it just "feels" right... or rather, left that feeling in my mind.

I will probably re-read the books now that I'm finishing up season 4 of the series again and am almost finished with the novel I'm currently reading.

I liked the Psi Corps the most also because of the freshness of it. As stated, it didn't weave in and out of stories we already knew like the other two did. The Centauri trilogy especially served to flesh out events that we knew were coming, even if it was still a good read. The techno-mage trilogy had some very good points and some very bad ones, such as Galen becoming Sheridan's surrogate brain and Galen's constant masturbatory self-immolation.

The Psi Corp Trilogy was really different. I remember halfway through the first book where the hero (I forget his name) was being chased on the moon by assassins, and I just thought, "What is this?", but in a good way. I never expected the early, early history of the telepaths to be laid out in such detail. The second book I don't really recall, except that it was set more in contemporary B5 times. The third, however, really wrapped things up well. Some people didn't like Bester's "love" story and how Bester finally dealt with it, but Garibaldi's final confrontation with Bester (and his last respects - oh my God, priceless) was well worth the read.

The techno-mage trilogy had some very good points and some very bad ones, such as Galen becoming Sheridan's surrogate brain...

IMHO, some people make way too big a deal of Galen contacting Sheridan on Z'Ha'Dum. It doesn't take that much away from Sheridan.

and Galen's constant masturbatory self-immolation.

Yeah she did go WAAAAAY overboard with that. I wanted to go up to the writer and shake her by the shoulders and say "Alright, enough! I get it already! What are you doing, padding for space?" (couldn't be because the books are far longer than the others in the other trilogies)

She did the same things with archeologists and their calluses in "The Shadow Within." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...but Garibaldi's final confrontation with Bester (and his last respects - oh my God, priceless) was well worth the read.

I liked Garibaldi's and Vir's final controntation with Shiv'Kala better. :D

Centauri trilogy:

wait, now I forget which book it was where they told him the 14 magic words... that really bothered me, taking a throw-away line invented to add a bit of mystery to a scene literally and making it a major plot point.

That actually really annoyed me as well. That part seemed EXTREMELY hoakey. The throwaway line was a bit hoakey --- as if something like that could exist --- I always felt he was speaking more figurativly, but thought it was a cool line that added mystery around them. But using it in the book like that seemed way lame to me. Should have just used some drug or something on her instead...

IMHO, some people make way too big a deal of Galen contacting Sheridan on Z'Ha'Dum. It doesn't take that much away from Sheridan.
I believe he is referring to Galen visiting Sheridan on B5 and essentially saving the poor clueless dolt from losing the Shadow War. That was just tacky writing - it was completely unnecessary to the plot (which I don't say about the Z'Ha'Dum encounter) and all it did was build up Galen at the expense of Sheridan.

I'm right there with grumbler in the way Galen on B5 seemed to really reduce Sheridan's character and made Sheridan seem in the books like he couldn't do anything himself without others using him as a chess piece.

I'm right there with grumbler in the way Galen on B5 seemed to really reduce Sheridan's character and made Sheridan seem in the books like he couldn't do anything himself without others using him as a chess piece.

This is Pre-Death Sheridan we're talking about here, and using him as a chess piece is precisely what Kosh (and to a lesser extent Delenn) did to him, so, Sheridan being used as a chess piece by Galen isn't that far out there. Although, I do agree, I didn't like that piece of the book so much either ;)

Ah, but the manipulations from Kosh and Delenn wasn't quite so blatantly there. It was just part of the swirly nature of the bigger plot. The whole thing of Galen manipulating Sheridan had a much greater neon sign pointing right at it saying: Look at this dope, he does what I want him to.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back