• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Your Favourite TV Show Intro?

Man, I loved Hercules and Xena. Now I have the Xena theme song in my head.

Da da da Da da DAAAAAA...........

Best intro: B5 season 5 hands down.

I also like BSG first season (liked that music better.)

Personally I love B5 Season 3 the most of all five seasons; something about "It failed" just gets to me. But true Firefly fans know that singing the Ballad of Serenity is part of the joy of the show, and therefore I must stand by that one.

Hrmm

* "B5 Season 5" for sure
* "B5 Season 3" also
* I kinda dig the intro to "Bones"
* Always liked the intro to "Boomtown" for some reason. Was kind of a standard montage, but the music and it just worked for me.
* As a kid I thought the intro to "Buck Rogers" (season 1) was cool
Come to think of it, I remember liking a lot of the intros to shows in the 80s. "The A-Team", "Simon and Simon", and several others. I think TV intros have gone the way of the Dodo. Before there used to be 45-47 minutes of content in an hour show, so a 2 minute intro was fine. Now commercials have cut things back to 40-42 minutes, so shows don't really do them much anymore, just flash the names as the show is playing. Kinda weak, but what can you do?

Least favorite?

* Firefly actually. Never really liked that intro. I thought the song was just "wrong" to grab viewers. I got that it was a western theme, and that the lyrics matched concepts for the show...but I still never liked it.
* BSG (new) doesn't work for me either. Never has. Its not the lame mournful chorus as much as it is the fucking SPOILERS they flash for the episode you are about to watch. Just dumb.

Doctor Who has a nice theme, the new, slighter harder theme for Series 4 is lovely. I like Torchwood's techno theme, though I'm not a fan of Captain Jack's intro at the top of the episode. My favourite B5 credits has to be Season 5. And, yes, I can sing the Firefly theme. I love the Battlestar Galactica sequence, especially with the updated death count each episode.

Yeesh, I watch a lot of sci-fi.

Personally I love B5 Season 3 the most of all five seasons; something about "It failed" just gets to me. But true Firefly fans know that singing the Ballad of Serenity is part of the joy of the show, and therefore I must stand by that one.

I think B5's season 3 is my favorite of all the B5 opening credit sequences too. I feel an impulse most every time Ivanova says, "It failed," that makes me wanna go, "Well shit!" It really keys it in for me that B5 is a show that things don't always end up ok, and B5's the first show that I ever really experienced that with. Plus, I think the way the characters and their credits are presented is the cleanest looking of all the seasons.

As for Firefly, yeah, I often have to sing along. I also feel the need to sing along to both Wonderfalls and Gilmore Girls.

And though they're cartoons that probably no one else here watches, I love the beginnings of both Avatar The Last Airbender and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends.

Man, I'm gonna do another B5 viewing. I've seen this goddamn thing like 45 bajillion times and I'm-a-hankerin' for another. "It failed" Bad-ass.

Ok so brace yourselves for another "The Wire" love rant, but season 2, using the original Tom Waits song Down in the Hole (the other seasons use cover versions), and the cool montage, really does what an intro is supposed to do- get you in the mood.

My favorite intro music, though, is The Boondocks.
"I am the stone that the builder refused/ I am the inspiration that made lady sing the blues..."

Yes, I'm a sucker for a catchy tune.

I can't believe I didn't remember Firefly. Add that one onto mine as well. Definitely works for a "western in space."

Firefly, perfect fit for the show
Veronica Mars, Seasons 1 & 2 (not Season 3's new mixed intro)
Everwood, fit the show nicely
Babylon 5, Season 3 is the best with 4 and 5 close behind
Crusade, showed off the music of Crusade and I loved Crusade's music
Carnivale, eerie, eerie music and a tremendous visual effect with the morphing of tarot cards to real life footage
Angel, tremendous mood, although it does contain a huge continuity error that was in the credits for every season
Alf, hilarious
Animaniacs, captures the manic pace of the show
TaleSpin, catchy, catchy tune
The Simpsons, always add a clever twist
Rome, really great ambiance
Reno 911!, every season is great and encapsulates what is so funny about the show

But, the hands down best intro of all time would be,
The Tick Vs., funny, creative, captures the spirit and mood of the show perfectly and draws the viewer in right away

B5, particularly season 5.
BSG (both intros, but especially the Caprica music)
Older shows, I really liked the Knight Rider and MacGyver intros.

For non-genre shows, Rome (especially s1) and Deadwood.

Ok so brace yourselves for another "The Wire" love rant, but season 2, using the original Tom Waits song Down in the Hole (the other seasons use cover versions), and the cool montage, really does what an intro is supposed to do- get you in the mood.

Me, I liked the season 4 intro better, with the boy's choir -- but you also gotta love the Blind Boys of Alabama in season 1. There's an album out with a whole ton of music from the Wire; I'm thinking I may have to get it.

Angel, tremendous mood, although it does contain a huge continuity error that was in the credits for every season

I love Angel's title sequence too, but I'm missing the continuity error. I do know they sneaked a Buffy shot into the titles for every season; is that what you're talking about?

(The Buffy main title song always gets me amped up, but for that reason I don't listen to it much -- I save it for when I need it -- and also the credits underneath aren't always that interesting, just a clip show.)

Mmm hmmm on the HBO stuff: Carnival, Rome and Deadwood. Definitely instills a certain mood.

I also like Malcolm in the Middle. :)

Yer not he boss of me now.....

I love Angel's title sequence too, but I'm missing the continuity error. I do know they sneaked a Buffy shot into the titles for every season; is that what you're talking about?

Nope, the power shot of Angel walking down the alley that they used at the end of every season's opening credits contains a reflection of Angel in the puddle in the alley, a pretty big continuity error actually.

I don't know if continuity error is right to describe it, since it doesn't have anything to do with timelines. But yea, Vampires shouldn't have reflections according to legend, so its basically a little goof.

I don't know if continuity error is right to describe it, since it doesn't have anything to do with timelines. But yea, Vampires shouldn't have reflections according to legend, so its basically a little goof.

Continuity doesn't necessarily mean timeline, but also the continuity of the show, as in if you state something can't happen in one episode then it shouldn't happen in a later episode. This one isn't that big of a deal because the intro is separate from the actual ep in my eyes, so it's not like I would rank an ep lower because of the intro, but I find it interesting that it was there and they never fixed it for five years.

Ah. You know, I never noticed that... but then, you see vampiric reflections pretty regularly in both shows. Actually, we see a whole lot of vampires out in the sunlight too, although they have to cover up, and for that matter they play a little fast and loose with the definition of "through the heart" for staking them. The throwaway vamps get dusted in ridiculous ways, and the main characters manage to endure quite a lot.

Basically they followed the rules when they wanted to make a point, and cheerfully glossed over them when they didn't. The shows didn't take themselves all that seriously, you know.

Back