• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

In light of the the events in BSG doe we really want or need Caprica?

Garovorkin

Regular
The problem with Caprica is that it's a prequel. Good writing suspense, who cares? We know how things are going to work out, the Cylons are going to evolve rebel fight two wars and destroy the colonies, and BSG in all probability is going to have dark sad ending. So really the question is what suspense? what intrigue? it's all rendered moot by the event's in BSG. Caprica's' only purpose its seems is as back story filler and really who care about a series that will be little more then a BSG history reference guide with a story line and characters mixed in. :rolleyes: If this was just a movie Okay, but as series? does any honestly believe that the audience will be sustained by this connect the dots cockamamie sounding scif Soap Opera? Somehow I don't think so.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people that bitch about [prequels for the same reason over and over, we know how the story will end. Frankly I don't think that matters at all, because a story isn't about it's end but it's about the journey that takes you to that end. So what if I know how the story will end up, I don't know the events that transpired to bring about that end and I would like to see them.

What's the point we know how it all turns out and please no more Kerovacisms about the Journey being more important the then ending, Here the ending is known and the journey serves little if any purpose or suspense. Movie or mini series about Caprica might be at least tolerable. as a series its not viable, especially with fact Galactica's numbers are still on the decline. Once Galactica leaves the air waves its going disappear in syndication reruns and then it's going to disappear very quickly especially if it has downbeat ending. If f Caprica even makes it to Series it will disappear very quickly, it will not find a large enough audience anyways, because as concepts go it sounds pretty bad.

Last edited:
What's the point we know how it all turns out and please no more Kerovacisms about the Journey being more important the then ending, Here the ending is known and the journey serves little if any purpose or suspense. Movie or mini series about Caprica might be at least tolerable. as a series its not viable, especially with fact Galactica's numbers are still on the decline. Once Galactica leaves the air waves its going disappear in syndication reruns and then it's going to disappear very quickly especially if it has downbeat ending. If f Caprica even makes it to Series it will disappear very quickly, it will not find a large enough audience anyways, because as concepts go it sounds pretty bad.

Spoken like someone that doesn't understand the story and is only concerned with the ending. The journey is the story, that is all. The story can be ruined because of a bad ending,. but a known ending will not ruin a good journey. Why watch shows repeatedly when after the first viewing you know what will happen and how it will end? Why watch adaptations of different media when you know how the story will end? The answer is because the ending doesn't matter anywhere near as much as the journey does. Like a great man once said, points A and Z are nowhere near as important as the parts in-between.

Maybe Caprica will be bad, but that has nothing to do with it being a prequel or the fact that the ending was know. I knew how The Illusionist was going to end from about 15 minutes into the film, but it was a tremendous movie because the ending wasn't the point, it was how you got to the ending that was the point. The Prestige on the other hand left me clueless as to the ending and while the ending provided a good twist it mattered naught because the journey to the ending was terrible.

Last edited:
Cell yes i do understand the Story, I just happen to think Capricais a very bad idea and its going die a quick death any way. Out of curiosity if you alaedy keww the out outcome of the story what do you gain going through the motions of following it anyway, what point does it serve?:confused: the ending is known the story moot. if i know the ending of something I tend to avoid it thats my preference Once you have the ending there is a reasonable chance you can deduce the rest anyway. beside in the case Galactica we know how it worked out with the Cylons so for me there is no suspense or curiosity for that matter.

Last edited:
Not at all, if the ending made the story moot then I wouldn't rewatch Buffy, or Babylon 5, or Veronica Mars, etc.. You should never go through the motions of just watching a story, and knowing the ending shouldn't change that.Especially where in the case of Caprica, you may know that the ultimate end is the Cylons doing their thing, but you don't know the events that triggered that or what happened along the way to facilitate the Cylons doing their thing. Any story I watch or read is all about the journey, a twist ending, if done right, is simply gravy.

I suppose you haven't watched any off the Star Wars prequels?

Didn't watch Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (took place--in story before Raiders of the Lost Ark.)

Since you knew Sheridan was going to keel over in a certain amount of time after Z'Ha'Dum, what's the point of watching the final episode? We know he dies. Yadda yadda. Who cares?

It's not the destination, it's the journey. I'm curious as hell about the gaps in between and the people involved.

How can you create credible drama when things are already known, any suspense or intrigue that you try to engender or character development will be rendered empty and meaningless , you end up with a bad series, I wont matter how cracking you make the dialog or actions of characters, in the end they diminished to props and not people .

You're thinking inside a very very tiny little box. Who is to say that the focus of the story will be on the future of mankind being destroyed and them trying to find Earth and Starbuck, omgz, she's going to die then come back and the president will perish?

Why would they recycle old storylines? As a writer myself, I think it has a lot of potential. I'd love to see a younger Adama, Tigh, Zerrick, anyone in any form. I'd love to see the first skinjob models (failures or whatnot.) I'd love to see how the hybrids came to be, what they really are. There's so much for me to look forward to on that.

But, if you're stuck in the present show, characters and storyline, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

My only advice is: don't watch it. You're convinced you're going to hate it and you want us to try and talk you down from that edge? I don't know. Nobody here's going to think less of you if you don't watch the darn thing. If it does nothing for you, then no harm, no foul. I think the universe has been developed and further development and pre-story could prove very interesting.

If you are bound and determined to not give it a shot, then that's all yours. :)

Im not trying to be difficult here. I just don't see the point of it thats all. There is no malice here. If you don't mind my asking , you write fiction?

No malice taken, Garo. :)

Some of us see a lot of potential. It just doesn't sound like your thing. I mean, I'd love to have that bridge gapped, even if it answers nothing about the present show. I just want to see it unfold. The present show has awesome characters and stories. I don't think that will change, it will just take the focus off "find Earth" and "play guess the last cylon."

I dunno, I wonder if it could have all the cylon models as they were made and all those actors will move over to the new show when Galactica is done. We could see how the Tigh/Tory/Chief/Anders models were made and what caused the rift between them all. That's just interesting to me. :D

Some of the best episodes are ones that aren't wholly focused on the huge story arcs:

Scar (about viper pilots trying to get that damn cylon raider)
The Passage (about Kat's death)

Just small moments. I liked some of those. I didn't like them ALL (some of them sucked butt, like Black Market.) If it's a whole season of Black Market episodes, then I'd be royally pissed, yes.

Allueveal look from my stand point a work of fictionI tend to prefer not to know the outcome ,yes B5 and few exceptions to this rule of mine. But not so much any more. Why write anything where there is no true suspense or surprise. When i know the outcome of something it tends to diminish it for me. again no malice here. I guess we all have our own preferance on these things. I will look at caprica out of simple curiosity who knows I might be wrong here. i try to keep an open mind and admitably i don't always succeed on this on. Whats really putting a damper on Caprica for me is knowing that BSG may end in a dark and Tragic way. I

Last edited:
How can you create credible drama when things are already known, any suspense or intrigue that you try to engender or character development will be rendered empty and meaningless , you end up with a bad series, I wont matter how cracking you make the dialog or actions of characters, in the end they diminished to props and not people .

No, that's not true at all. As Alluveal pointed out, after Sherdian died you knew exactly how the series was going to end and when it was going to end, but you were still intrigued? You were intrigued because you wanted to know the path that took Sheridan to his end, knowing the ending is not the same as knowing the path.

Good points gentlemen both of you.,I guess this topcic going to die a quick death. I do think however that Caprica chances may not be good, the ratings issue might be factor here and in television numbers do in the end carry weight.

Yeah, I don't know whether it will succeed or not. And even if it doesn't that's not a sign of whether it's good or not. Heck, crap like Desperate Housewives draws incredible ratings while a tremendous show like Firefly could barely draw flies.

Oh God Desperate Housewives and yes every fraking CSI show on tv ,crap. Firefly got killed from a combination of numbers and the fact that the people running Fox were bunch of nitwits, I hope they have enough sense to give Dollhouse a fair chance.

Last edited:
Maybe Caprica will be bad, but that has nothing to do with it being a prequel or the fact that the ending was know. I knew how The Illusionist was going to end from about 15 minutes into the film, but it was a tremendous movie because the ending wasn't the point, it was how you got to the ending that was the point. The Prestige on the other hand left me clueless as to the ending and while the ending provided a good twist it mattered naught because the journey to the ending was terrible.

Man, I don't agree w/ you on a lot, but this is just so spot on. When those two movies came out I had not interest but everyone kept telling me how great they are, so I watched them in the same week. First Prestige, which was so lame, just like you say. Ok I kind of got a kick out of David Bowie playing Tesla- Ziggy Stardust!- and the eye-candy of Scarlett Johanssen, but otherwise... blech. And then The Illusionist was great. Starting with better actors, and a story that doesn't need pseudo-science mumbo-jumbo, and an ending that feels organic.

Ok, so Caprica... meh, I'l prob check it out, but I kind of fell out of love w/ BSG a while ago. I dunno... we'll see.

So does everybody on this site think Caprica is a good Idea, Allueveal and Cell you raise some good points on why its a good, Fair enough and Reasonable. lets play a little bit of Devils Advocate, How Could Caprica be a bad ? The other side of the coin? I think this topic may still have some milage on it, Does everyone BSG fandom think this could work? We know that we are get the movie and its going to be a back door Pilot for any series. but by the time they get on the sometime next year BSG will have completed its run and since BSG number have been going down that tells me that Caprica face a bleak future. If the Caprica series was on the air while BSG is still running that might give it slight possiblility fro at least making its first season.:confused:

Back