• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dollhouse

Re: New Joss Whedon show

I guess what I am trying to say is that it feels a bit forced and not natural.

Anyway, sorry Koshfan mate, I totally derailed your thread. Apologies etc.

Well, it's also true that I'm extraordinarily forgiving of bad acting, so my taste should not be the arbiter of all that is good.

And let's join in with DL and get this thread back on track.

I'm really looking forward to this show. And I don't recall if I posted this here or not, but Whedon recently stated that the morons at FOX who caused Firefly's death are long since gone and he feels the new heads have...well...better heads.

Right. I'm done.

CE

So, is anyone else here both worried that this show has any future and that it will be any good? I know that Whedon, the studio, and all the Whedon fans are trying to rationalize yet another production stoppage, but things do not look good. The pilot already had to be reshot and now we're on work stoppage number three, I am now convinced it is a high possibility that this show will eitrher flop or be complete crap.

Joss is an extremely busy man. He's been writing and directing most of the episodes, he's been churning out comic books, he's been getting Dr. Horrible up, running, and purchasable... he's stretched super-thin. Frankly, I take the production shutdowns as a good sign: they are going slowly to make sure it's top-quality stuff. And since it doesn't air until January, why not slow down?

But you might absolutely be right: it might suck, or flop, or do both. We'll just have to wait and see, won't we?

This is what I read about the production shut down:
Luckily, it seems that this decision (just like his decision to reshoot the pilot) is entirely his own. The story goes that Whedon was busy directing two of the first three Dollhouse episodes already put to film, and when he finally left the directors chair he realized that some of the later scripts needed extra work. The production break will allow him to spend a bit more time in the writers room while taking a break from his usual producing/directing duties. Since Dollhouse is a mid-season show (set to start in January ‘09), this decision won’t affect its release.

And Fox also said:
We have every confidence that [the extra time] will allow Joss to make the show the best it can possibly be. It’s very rare that you have a head writer who is also directing two episodes in a row. But we are happy that Joss is directing, because this is his vision.

I hope that all ends up being true because I want the show to be good, but there have also been industry reports that production was halted this time because Fox wasn't happy with the direction the show was taking. All of this adds up to be a very bad omen in my eyes as I don't think many shows in history have survived multiple work stoppages before their first episode aired or if they did ended up being any good.

On another note I think this should be a sign to Joss that while people love his work and he loves producing material, he needs to reign it in a little. He's clearly stretching himself too thin, and while it's been affecting his comic work for years (why people are so forgiving of when he is late with issues I don't know) it's now affecting his TV work. He needs to concentrate on one or two hings at a time, not 5 or six (whatever the number may be).

Well, here's the man himself explaining the decision to re-shoot the pilot: http://whedonesque.com/comments/17005

It's not that Fox didn't like the direction of the show, it was that they (and, apprently, David Lynch) were having trouble following it. So Joss wrote a new intro to better set the stage.

Also, as Eliza Dushku keeps saying, "In the first pilot I didn't get to wear my leather pants. That was kind of a deal-breaker."

I'm referring to the most recent work stoppage. There have been reports that it was because Joss directed the first two eps and needed time to work on the upcoming scripts, but there have also been reports that the people at Fox were not happy with the direction the show was taking and production was stopped so that Joss could once again change the direction of the show.

Well, we'll just have to WAIT and see, won't we?

Man, some people have gotten so f***ing cynical about Joss and his stuff lately, even some hardcore fans. How about we judge the tale when it's done, not when it hasn't even started?

That's just the Whedon fan in you talking. I fail to see why someone shouldn't doubt a show that is going on stoppage number three where there are published reports that the network isn't happy with what they've seen so far and that Joss himself wasn't happy with initial pilot. Combine all this with Joss committing to too many projects like usual and you have a recipe for a bad show. If this were any other show people all over would be thinking the same thing, but Dollhouse is somehow exempt because it's a Whedon show? I don't think so, and I'm someone that actually wants the show to do good, but these are all factors that point to the show either not doing good or not being any good.

I fail to see why someone shouldn't doubt a show that is going on stoppage number three where there are published reports that the network isn't happy with what they've seen so far ...

I'm not sure I've ever actually liked anything a network was really happy with... :D

That's just the Whedon fan in you talking. [...]I'm someone that actually wants the show to do good, but these are all factors that point to the show either not doing good or not being any good.

You're not exactly a "glass-half-full" kind of guy, are you?

.... to the show either not doing good or not being any good.

That should be 'not doing well.'
Assuming, of course, that you meant how it would be received by an audience, as opposed to whether it would somehow make the world a better place. :D

I'm not sure I've ever actually liked anything a network was really happy with... :D

I'd agree with that usually, but in this case the creator himself stopped production the first time because he wasn't happy with the product.

You're not exactly a "glass-half-full" kind of guy, are you?

Not in this case, no, there's really nothing at all to view as positive about this situation, unless you're a Hollywood spinster.

Let me get this straight. You think the show will be crap/cancelled because the creator decided to fix it?

Where I come from, fixing something doesn't count as a harbinger of doom, that counds as an improvement.

Let me get this straight. You think the show will be crap/cancelled because the creator decided to fix it?

Where I come from, fixing something doesn't count as a harbinger of doom, that counds as an improvement.

Once again, if it was just one of the sides seeing a problem with it then it might not be a problem. However this time Joss initially stopped production both because he wasn't happy with the product and because the people he showed it to didn't like it. Now he's had a while to work with those changes and this time production has been stopped because the studio isn't happy with what they are seeing. There's really no way that you can view both sides of the coin stopping production because they don't like what they are seeing as a good thing. What it is, is a sign of a show that really can't find itself, and will probably be quite bad, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Why are you two even arguing about this? The show is on Fox. We all bloody well know its gonna get canceled, most likely before the first season finishes. Is it even in doubt?

Why are you two even arguing about this? The show is on Fox. We all bloody well know its gonna get canceled, most likely before the first season finishes. Is it even in doubt?

Actually with the new heads at Fox, yeah it is. They have stuck with Terminator for a year and a half now despite it not getting tremendous ratings, and they have actually been really supportive of Dollhouse, and have tossed all of their weight behind Fringe.

Latest posts

Members online

Back