• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What are you watching now?

Yojimbo is just awesome.

Also, don't be so quick to dismiss The Magnificent Seven just because it's kind of a remake. It's fantastic film.

I didn't dismiss it, I actually rather liked it. What's funny is how Seven Samuri was a kind of tribute to western movies, and then a western movie adaptation was made of it.

Nice and circular. :D

I think he played the women's Japanese prison camp leader in a miniseries called "Tenko". It's the story of a ship that was shot at and grounded, with everyone on board becoming a prisoner of war, including the women and children. A chick flick Kurosawa-type film, I guess. but it's hardly "pretty" or light in any way.

Tenko was a 3 year tv series made by the BBC and Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081944

What happened in Singapore is very nasty.

So it wasn't him. Well, I did only get a chance to see it once, and that was well over a decade ago, maybe closer to 2. Yes, it would have to be a miniseries, it was long. It was excellently done, it's a shame I'll likely never be able to see it again.

It aired on the regular History Channel here so long ago they were showing things like Tenko and I, Claudius. I miss those days. Now the channel is mostly documentary stuff.

In Britain Tenko is currently airing on the UK History channel, so it may return to a US channel. This means that repeat agreements have been concluded with all the actors and musicians.

You could always write and suggest it to one of the history or women's cable channels.

Or check out amazon.ca, or whatever the Canadian Amazon.com is. I finally have a DVD player that, with some tweaking, will be able to play region 2 DVD's. :D

It's not a "fun" story, by any means, but it is a powerful one, and talk about character development, different cultures' senses of honor and disgrace, and different cultures' ideas of what is and isn't taboo.

Great writing, little is spared the viewer (I assume, though the camps were probably even worse than what we see), and excellent acting.

It must have been good to have stayed in my mind all of this time. :)

Inspired by the rewatchability thread, finally watched my American Psycho DVD today, for the first time.

Loved it. Laughed my ass off throughout great parts of it. Great movie.

Also, I totally don't get it. I am almost certain that that's the point, but there's a marginal possibility that the movie went over my head.

(one thing that definitely went over my head: Bateman digging through a closet full of coat hangers .. cut to prostitutes leaving his place in a huff. And, later, Christie's talk about having needed surgery after the last time. Huh? Obviously, there are some possibilities for kink that I have not thought of yet.)

Chili, what's not to get? He likes to torture women.

I also think that none of the violence actually happened, it was all just in his head.

I'm uh... watching The Gilmore Girls now. I'm a big ole GIRL, I know! But, it's actually a pretty good show.

:)

You may now taunt my girliness. (curtsies)

Chili, what's not to get? He likes to torture women.

I also think that none of the violence actually happened, it was all just in his head.

I was somehow thinking that it must be something more "kinky" than simple torture, as the hooker did come with him a second time afterwards (reluctantly) - it'd make more sense for her to give him a second chance if he injured her when trying to actually .. do something. I guess she just really needed the money.

And yeah, I did end up thinking it was all in his head. Still a bit unsure about the meaning about him going to his first (on-screen) victim's flat, to discover that it never was his flat.

Yes the hooker just needed the money. It was just another illustration of the privileged class taking advantage of the poor and unfortunate.

I just started reading the book.

I just saw "Life is Beautiful" for the first time the other night. It hought it was excellent. I caught it near the beginning and continued to watch it till 3am I was that impressed.

I've since gone and caught it on DVD at a bargain price.

Well worth watching if you haven't as yet caught it.

Last night I got this DVD from Netflix of a British (mini?) series from 2003 called State of Play. It's 6 episodes (I'm assuming, since disc 1 had 3 and it's 2 discs). It's a political thriller about an MP and an affair and murder and journalists and all sort of twisty plots and this really adorable Scottish chick. Pretty neat stuff.

State of Play is great.

And, apparently, being remade with Ben Affleck in the lead. :rolleyes:

Last night I got this DVD from Netflix of a British (mini?) series from 2003 called State of Play. It's 6 episodes (I'm assuming, since disc 1 had 3 and it's 2 discs). It's a political thriller about an MP and an affair and murder and journalists and all sort of twisty plots and this really adorable Scottish chick. Pretty neat stuff.

it is excellent, also try "house of cards", it's about a power hungry chief whip.

currently watching season 2 of the shield, it's fucking awesome.

Just saw Ocean's 13 and I rather enjoyed it. I thought Ocean's 12 was kind of lame, but 13 seems a lucky number again.

Recently I watch "Boston Legal".William Shatner is great in the role of the cynical lawyer Denny Crane.James Spader also does a good job as Alan Shore, whose speeches are very affecting although sometimes he does not believe in anything he says.The show is a different and a funnier way to look at the world of law.

Latest posts

Members online

Back