• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS - Reputation (relating to potential projects)

Re: JMS - Reputation (relating to potential projec

But still, I just can't shake this feeling I have, that my confidence is waivering. Thats really what this post is about. There are plenty of people who post about "faith manages" and "sooner or later we will have more B5 content" or "someday my prince will come" but frankly, I'm trying to throw a post out there for those of us who arent necessiarly pessimestic, but not optimistic either. Just trying to see if others feel the way myself and my friend do.

You know, this subject has come up before and JMS has actually addressed it. Here's a post from 2003 that answers a post similar to the original one here:

http://jmsnews.net/msg.aspx?id=1-16960&query=devaluation

Personally, if I had my 'druthers, I'd prefer to see JMS doing a series for a channel that would have the guts to let him go without restriction on language, nudity or any other taboos. I love B5 a lot and would love to see more but anything that does come along is 'lagniappe' because the main story is long finished.

Jan

Thanks, Jan. I'd long forgotten about that post, but I do remember it now.

So no, as far as my work is concerned, it is not and has *never* been a
problem. And if it ever *were* to become a problem, I'd move off into writing
comics full time, or novels, or something else. I'm more or less set in a
variety of venues. The result is that I write what I want, for whom I want,
and I get paid for doing things I'd have to do for free otherwise.

Your concern, really, is that *you* are afraid that *you* won't get what *you*
want. That ain't my problem. Nor will I allow your fears to become my fears.
I do what I like and I say what I like. I've worked my whole life to get to
that point, a point very few manage to achieve, and if you think I'm going to
change that because you're concerned you might not get your fix of a certain
kind of story...dream on.

:LOL:

You tell 'em, Joe! :cool:

Yea, its not really an issue of not getting what I want specifically though. I am a fan of JMS. I like his work, I wish there was more of it. I also would rather not have a movie at all then have one not live up to his standards. None of these things were really my gripe though...

Its great that he says things dont damage his chances...and maybe he is right. I'm just saying I am way way into the realm of skeptic when a JMS project is announced. If I were a betting man I would give something less than 2 years duration for a TV series. This is not a dis of the man's skills, I think hes the best out there. Its also not that I think his lack of ability is a problem either. Its just more a feeling that back luck is following the guy lately for whatever reason...

I know what you mean, Recoil. Every time JMS is involved in a project, something seems to go wrong. I don't think it's JMS' fault, but geez! Can't the guy get a break? I knew that entertainment execs. were idiots, but I never knew how stupid they were until I became a fan of JMS' work. That ABC version of Max Headroom was right. :rolleyes:

Tammy

The only problem here is that you're referring to a few recent projects, not the full encompassing career, which has many more longer running shows than 2 seasons.

Again, we hear about the failures because he tells us. It often times takes writer/creator/showrunners several attempts to get another series that lasts. There are very few exceptions (James Burrows for example, but then, he's doing sitcoms).

We also have to take into account JMS' words, to "do what he wants when he wants." Just because we're not getting more B5 (something he said he would only do if the timing and feel were right for it) or more Jeremiah (remember, he didn't want to do this one from the beginning), doesn't mean he's still not seen as very successful.

He's consulted on Spiderman films, he's approached and respected by some of Hollywood's elite.

You do have to wonder why he hasn't approached some of them for assistance in making a B5 feature...personally, I can explain that one...it just ain't JMS' style. Much to our chagrin and though I truly believe he should go to some of the big players, I don't see JMS going to a Lucas or Jackson with hat in hand.

He wants it his way...and I can respect that. Because, in Hollywood, if you start to give in too much...you'll have to give in from then on. Stand your ground and keep your intregity and creativety intact...and it'll be a harder road (at least at first) but you'll eventually be respected and even revered. JMS is the latter.

CE

I'm guessing Recoil doesn't read comics, which is where JMS has been most successful lately. Neither do I. That's probably why we feel this way- we don't see his work, so it's as if he's not doing so hot now.

I don't care about Spiderman and that kind of stuff, but if it's making him happy, more power to him.

I'm guessing Recoil doesn't read comics, which is where JMS has been most successful lately. Neither do I. That's probably why we feel this way- we don't see his work, so it's as if he's not doing so hot now.

I highly recommend Midnight Nation if you just want a taste of how good a 'comic' story can be. It's a limited series, only 12 issues and is available in graphic novel form. That's the best way, IMO, because you can read the story straight through without advertisements. JMS has said it's some of his best work ever and I agree.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nce&s=books

Jan

Oh, my, yes. Midnight Nation is so good, it's worth putting the title in italics.

Oh, my, yes. Midnight Nation is so good, it's worth putting the title in italics.

I think it's so good it's worth putting in bold and italics!

Midnight Nation

:p
Jan

GKE is right, I dont read spidey. That said, I do have JMS's Midnight Nation and most of Rising Stars (I think he was finally able to finish it due to resolving a disagreement with his publisher). I like Midnight Nation a lot. Im not a comic guy, but that is good stuff. Rising Stars is OK, but IMO not as good as Midnight Nation.

To be honest, I would love to have a JMS penned "Crusade" comic book series. Id be happy with the story being told in ANY media at this point...as long as it gets told before he takes a dirt nap...

To be honest, I would love to have a JMS penned "Crusade" comic book series. Id be happy with the story being told in ANY media at this point...as long as it gets told before he takes a dirt nap...

I second that, except that I'd rather it was in novels, not comics.

Yea novels would be ideal, but I wouldnt mind if it ended up in the comic medium. Thats better than nothing IMO.

I have read two of his novel's DEAMON NIGHT & TRIBULATIONS and found these both to be excellent reads. I could hardly put them down. I also have The Othersyde on order. He is a compelling writer who sure knows how to keep you interested. I would like to see more novels written by him. Oh hell I would love to buy TMoS if it was printed exactly as is.

Do you think this hurts his reptuation in the industry?

No, because the only way his projects can keep getting shot down is if someone keeps hiring him for projects. He's clearly in demand and has not had trouble finding work. So his reputation must be solid enough. And like others have said, this is an industry where failure is far more common than success.

To be totally and completely honest. I don't want to hear so much as a peep or a rumor about any possible B5 project anymore. Not a word. Nothing until filming begins. Its really not worth the whole roller coaster ride.
Now this I completely agree with. I appreciate the whole keep-folks-informed thing. But given that this is an industry where things fizzle out so often, I would love it if he would wait until things are official enough to give a full peep before he starts stoking enthusiasm. (You could toss World on Fire, Polaris, Global Frequency, and possibly the Marvel thing he talked about at San Diego 2003 on that pile as well.) Coy hints aren't information - they're teases. And I've been teased enough.

But given that this is an industry where things fizzle out so often, I would love it if he would wait until things are official enough to give a full peep before he starts stoking enthusiasm. Coy hints aren't information - they're teases. And I've been teased enough.
Probably the best quote regarding JMS's interaction with the fan base I have ever read on this site. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I couldn't have said it better. My feelings exactly.

I ordered Midnight Nation. The price was right and my express account with amazon makes it so damn easy to buy things. :eek: Also it was my first purchase through Amazon from their own stock as opposed to buying used (I collect a lot of music that way).

If Crusade ever came out in comic or novel form, I'd read it, but would still feel "cheated." I really liked the actors. In general I don't like screen character on the page or literary characters on the screen.

GKE,

you won't regret it. Midnight Nation is a quality story that just happens to be wrapped in a comic form.

While thinking about the average longevity of television series -- and consequently what to expect from an average project in SF -- I stumbled upon someone called JMS writing:

Traditionally, American science fiction TV series have a lifespan of less than one season, and no space oriented SF series other than the various Star Trek incarnations has gone more than three seasons in 30 years.

"You're setting yourself up for a fall," we were told

I think it's so good it's worth putting in bold and italics!

Midnight Nation

I also recommend <u><font color="black">M</font><font color="#AAFFFF">I</font><font color="black">DN</font><font color="black">I</font><font color="#550000">G</font><font color="#880000">H</font><font color="#aa0000">T </font><font color="#cc3300">N</font><font color="#aa0000">A</font><font color="#880000">T</font><font color="#550000">I</font><font color="black">ON</font></u> as a great example of the comic book writings of JMS.

Back