B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.FAQ

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 14th 18, 17:20   #41
Karajorma
Commander
 
Karajorma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 101
Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5historyman View Post
For your information, the point I was making about the viewer knowledge opposed to the character knowledge.

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1...ridan%20viewer

I know what the difference between character knowledge and viewer knowledge means. My point is that this alone isn't a reason to move an episode. Day of the Dead is quite obviously in the wrong place on the season 5 DVDs. It comes between two interconnected episodes. So it obviously needs to move. Now you could just roll a dice and place it somewhere or you could move it to wherever it fits best. I've given multiple reasons why I feel that Day of the Dead fits in with the characters and events of the middle of the season. If you think I'm wrong, I'd love to hear why. Instead you've just said it should be where you put it and if I don't like it, I can watch it where ever I want.


Well that's true, but if you want your list to have any kind of authority then it does need explanations for your reasoning. You did that with season one. I don't know why you're insisting on not doing it for season five.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th 18, 00:49   #42
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,907
Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order

Looney, I've said everything I plan to on the matter. Yes, B5historyman and I know each other from the B5 Books team and on Facebook. We don't always agree. But I'd have said the same thing I did to anybody who'd copped the attitude that I was responding to.

'Nuff said. Pax.
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th 18, 13:35   #43
Looney
Ambassador
 
Looney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 474
Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Yes, B5historyman and I know each other from the B5 Books team and on Facebook..
Here is what I don't understand.

WHY AM I NOT ON THE B5 BOOKS team?!?!?!?!

Is it just because everyone knows I have nothing meaningful to contribute? (Be honest.) . . . . . . . .
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th 18, 12:59   #44
b5historyman
Ranger
 
b5historyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 65
Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karajorma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5historyman View Post
For your information, the point I was making about the viewer knowledge opposed to the character knowledge.

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1...ridan%20viewer

I know what the difference between character knowledge and viewer knowledge means. My point is that this alone isn't a reason to move an episode. Day of the Dead is quite obviously in the wrong place on the season 5 DVDs. It comes between two interconnected episodes. So it obviously needs to move. Now you could just roll a dice and place it somewhere or you could move it to wherever it fits best. I've given multiple reasons why I feel that Day of the Dead fits in with the characters and events of the middle of the season. If you think I'm wrong, I'd love to hear why. Instead you've just said it should be where you put it and if I don't like it, I can watch it where ever I want.


Well that's true, but if you want your list to have any kind of authority then it does need explanations for your reasoning. You did that with season one. I don't know why you're insisting on not doing it for season five.
It does have Joe Straczynski's authority, wasn't aware there was anyone else's needed. You are asking me to go back through copious notes just to satisfy you. With all due respect, it's not going to happen anytime soon, I have more important things to worry about in my life right now, my mother is recovering from major cancer surgery and having chemotherapy, my mother in law's health is rapidly failing and my wife is going through the menopause as well to cope with. On top of that my day job as an analyst has exploded recently and I am bogged down with work, so when I go home at night I am also tired mentally.

EDIT
To finally settle this once and for all, I have just asked my wife to go through my notes and email me. This is the reasoning behind where DoTD sits in the chronology

1. From the material I received from Joe, Mars independence was ratified on March 3rd 2262.

2. In DoTD there is a Universe Today headline "Narn Consulate opens on Mars amid controversy" Why would it be controversial if the events of DoTD are AFTER Mars independence? As an independent state they can have who the heck they like opening a Consulate. So what was the controversy? I reasoned it was opened while Mars was still under the joint control of EarthGov, during a transitional phase before independence. Instead of dealing with EarthGov, the Narn deal directly with the interim MarsGov.

3. Garibaldi blaming the telepaths. Where I placed DoTD, Byron and his telepaths were still very much on the station.

Last edited by b5historyman; August 17th 18 at 12:30.
b5historyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th 18, 13:46   #45
b5historyman
Ranger
 
b5historyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 65
Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Looney, I've said everything I plan to on the matter. Yes, B5historyman and I know each other from the B5 Books team and on Facebook. We don't always agree. But I'd have said the same thing I did to anybody who'd copped the attitude that I was responding to.

'Nuff said. Pax.
We may disagree on things, but I'd like to think we are still friends/fellow fans
b5historyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th 18, 14:54   #46
KoshFan
Soul Hunter
 
KoshFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The upper left-hand corner of the US
Posts: 10,645
Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order

Aha. Those are indeed good reasons. People may argue (because people always argue...) but there they are and now we have them.

And you had good reasons for not telling us up front, as I suspected -- because you had much bigger fish to fry. I hope you can catch a breather soon, and maybe some breaks.

On the other hand, a simple, "I'll have to check my notes, let me get back to you on that" could have avoided all the confrontation here. As tough as your life sounds right now, it's still possible to listen and be polite (even online!).
__________________
Know what you do.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th 18, 15:21   #47
b5historyman
Ranger
 
b5historyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 65
Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Aha. Those are indeed good reasons. People may argue (because people always argue...) but there they are and now we have them.

And you had good reasons for not telling us up front, as I suspected -- because you had much bigger fish to fry. I hope you can catch a breather soon, and maybe some breaks.

On the other hand, a simple, "I'll have to check my notes, let me get back to you on that" could have avoided all the confrontation here. As tough as your life sounds right now, it's still possible to listen and be polite (even online!).
Sorry, I'm also diabetic which can make me grumpy when I'm tired too
b5historyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th 18, 23:19   #48
KoshFan
Soul Hunter
 
KoshFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The upper left-hand corner of the US
Posts: 10,645
Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order

Self-care! Self-care before arguing about decades-old science fiction arcana on the internet!
__________________
Know what you do.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th 18, 08:56   #49
b5historyman
Ranger
 
b5historyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 65
Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Self-care! Self-care before arguing about decades-old science fiction arcana on the internet!
I do look after myself Unfortunately the medication I have is slowly becoming ineffective
b5historyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th 18, 15:22   #50
Looney
Ambassador
 
Looney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 474
Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5historyman View Post
I do look after myself Unfortunately the medication I have is slowly becoming ineffective
That does ssssssssuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkk....
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2018 B5TV.COM