• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Inside A Vorlon Ship?

Truth_Seeker

Regular
I've always wondered how a Vorlon ship looks from the inside.I'm sure that everyone has some interesting ideas so I decided to post this thread.I have two presumptions:

A:There's absolutely nothing inside the ship.The Vorlons don't have any of the needs of the younger races so there is no furniture or anything that could be used by humans for example.There are no displays because a Vorlon sends the orders to the ship telepathically or even merges with the vessel.The function of the ship is to provide enough space for a Vorlon to come out of his encounter suit during a space trip.

B:The Vorlon ships are organic so we can presume that they have brains instead of main computers.But they could also have a lot of other internal organs like a heart for example.Inside the Vorlon ships could be a jungle of complex veins,arteries,synapses and many other things of the ship's biology.

It would be interesting to see other presumptions about what's inside.

I think that the Vorlons are like any other race in that even though they may have outgrown certain things they will still adhere to their existence. So while they may no longer have any need for furniture or the idea of a bridge, because it is such an ingrained part of their culture I think it would still be around to give them that connection back to what they used to be.

As for what constitutes the actual ship, I think what you see on the outside is what you get. It's alive yes, but I don't envision any working organs on the inside or anything like that. Much like how the Vorlons have gone beyond the physical I don't think their ships require anything internal to allow them to live. They have the external body that is alive and they have a mental presence, but that's about it.

Well given we see the internal workings of a human organic ship from a point in time when we are at a reasonably equivalent technological level... one would assume the vorlon ship carries a similar constitution albeit resembling their unique cultural designs/preferences.

As for what constitutes the actual ship, I think what you see on the outside is what you get. It's alive yes, but I don't envision any working organs on the inside or anything like that.

Yes but at least there should be something like an advanced brain controlling the ship.

Does that brain actually need to be corporeal though? We know that the Vorlons are beings of pure energy that are able to interact with and control things in the real world without touching or manipulating a single thing physically. With that being the case I fully believe that their ships function in the same way. The brain isn't a brain as you or I would naturally believe it to be, but rather a simple mental presence. It has no physical form, no shape, no substance, it simply is there and most likely very similar to Ironheart. A high level of intelligence and mental capabilities and the ability to affect the world around you, but not corporeal in any way.

Yes this is an interesting idea,Cell.Probably the ship has some kind of a soul or a Vorlon-like intellect.Or... the Vorlons split when the ship is built and insert a part of themselves into it.That could be one of the explanations why the vessel can't live without it's owner.

That could be one of the explanations why the vessel can't live without it's owner.

That's not strictly true 100% of the time. There is one example of a vorlon ship surviving it's owner's demise. Although that ship could have been responding to latent programming concerning the detection of Shadowtech - a failsafe in a similar fashion to Lyta.

My guess is that vorlon ships are designed to self repair after violent destruction... but without further instruction "grieve" for their masters... and that the ship in question would have set course for the Epsilon star as soon as it was functional had it not had another purpose to serve. either that or the vorlons were being deceitful about the "grieving" process and send ships to their demise by telepathic/remote control and the ship couldn't kill itself as it had no standin orders to do so. I favour the former idea though.

Sorry I didn't go into specifics as to the ship... don't want to go spoiler mad.

I've always wondered how a Vorlon ship looks from the inside.I'm sure that everyone has some interesting ideas so I decided to post this thread.I have two presumptions:

I think that in the Technomages trilogy there is a part where Galen enters a Vorlon ship, and there is a description of what the ship looks like... but I'm not sure, it's been quite a while since I read the books, and they are not with me at this moment.

A:There's absolutely nothing inside the ship.The Vorlons don't have any of the needs of the younger races so there is no furniture or anything that could be used by humans for example.There are no displays because a Vorlon sends the orders to the ship telepathically or even merges with the vessel.The function of the ship is to provide enough space for a Vorlon to come out of his encounter suit during a space trip.

Now to the speculations: I think that the interior of a Vorlon ship is molded as the Vorlon wishes, if he (she/it?) wants furniture, machines, panels, screens or anything else, he just commands the ship to make them, as we have seen that the ships organic structure can be molded in different shapes. So the interior of two Vorlon ships may be completely different, depending on what the owner wants inside at any moment.

Now to the speculations: I think that the interior of a Vorlon ship is molded as the Vorlon wishes, if he (she/it?) wants furniture, machines, panels, screens or anything else, he just commands the ship to make them, as we have seen that the ships organic structure can be molded in different shapes. So the interior of two Vorlon ships may be completely different, depending on what the owner wants inside at any moment.

That makes good sense to me.

That is a logical answer, Marcelo.In "Hunter,Prey" we see Kosh's ship changing it's outside shape twice , so we can presume that it can change it's interior as well.

Is this thread refering to Koshes transport or any of the Vorlon ships up to the Dreadnaught? I read somewhere that there were several Vorlons onboard on of those.

Is this thread refering to Koshes transport or any of the Vorlon ships up to the Dreadnaught? I read somewhere that there were several Vorlons onboard on of those.

We can only guess what's inside a Dreadnaught.We know that the Vorlons can split themselves so we can presume that they can do the opposite as well-merge with one another, creating something like a super Vorlon mind capable of controlling the large ships and Planet Killers.Just an idea.

Back