B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 22nd 09, 00:01   #1041
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad
Re: Galactica Season 4 (Spoilers Within)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
I don't mind a sci-fi story having characters that believe in God, I just don't like the story presenting God as a real being that actually acts in the story. If it's some story that isn't sci-fi, I don't mind a God character, but my expectations of sci-fi is that it's more realistic than other genres, and the reality is that if God exists, we don't have any proof of that existence whatsoever.
But with respect, you are letting your own world view cloud your opinion of what science fiction is (and I'm not pointing the finger, admittedly I do the same).

I'm with Recoil on this though... it really doesn't matter,or at least it shouldn't.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd 09, 00:05   #1042
Recoil
First One

It would be one thing, and very VERY Deus Ex Machina if they pulled the God thing out of their rear ends totally. But frankly, God has been involved in this show since the miniseries. Its ALWAYS been part of the mythos and the dialogue.....to the point it really got annoying at times. So its really tough to call an ending involving God in some way, shape, or form, totally DEM given it has been an intergral part of the series for its entire run. I didn't have a huge issue with it, because it was downplayed more that I thought it would be, which was nice IMO.
Old March 22nd 09, 00:15   #1043
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

I don't think it makes it not-Science-Fiction. I just think it's lame to set up big mysteries, and have the solution be that it was gods, angels, fate, destiny, or just "is" for some reason.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd 09, 01:23   #1044
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
I don't think it makes it not-Science-Fiction. I just think it's lame to set up big mysteries, and have the solution be that it was gods, angels, fate, destiny, or just "is" for some reason.
Why? Every other show explains it really wasn't God. This show has never hid from the fact that God is involved. What's wrong with one show deciding not to explain God away?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd 09, 01:28   #1045
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Why should any of that matter?

Sci-Fi

Science. Fiction.

There was plenty of science in BSG. Also some fiction. Why does having God as a mild plot device get people on the whole "it isn't science fiction" soapbox? Makes no sense.
Where is the scientific proof of God? Oh wait, there is NONE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
But with respect, you are letting your own world view cloud your opinion of what science fiction is (and I'm not pointing the finger, admittedly I do the same).
It's not a clash of world view, it's an expectation of science, and there is absolutely zero scientific proof of God. There's a bunch of people who believe in God because other people tell them he exists and they have personal emotional reactions to things, but there is no proof of God. Like I said, I don't have a problem with characters believing in God. Hell, even if they have just left the hallucinations Baltar was having as just in his own head, that would've been fine, but it was once it was presented as being real-word angels truly guided by God that it went flying out the window and ceased to be anything even slightly based in science. It was one thing for the characters to talk about God from the basis of their perspectives and stuff, but it was totally different for the show to present the existence of God as absolutely true.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd 09, 01:39   #1046
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Where is the scientific proof of God? Oh wait, there is NONE.

It's not a clash of world view, it's an expectation of science, and there is absolutely zero scientific proof of God. There's a bunch of people who believe in God because other people tell them he exists and they have personal emotional reactions to things, but there is no proof of God. Like I said, I don't have a problem with characters believing in God. Hell, even if they have just left the hallucinations Baltar was having as just in his own head, that would've been fine, but it was once it was presented as being real-word angels truly guided by God that it went flying out the window and ceased to be anything even slightly based in science. It was one thing for the characters to talk about God from the basis of their perspectives and stuff, but it was totally different for the show to present the existence of God as absolutely true.
Again, Why? Why can't one Sci-Fi show end in (in your opinion, fantasy) a God being behind it all? And... Like "Over Here" Couldn't a more advanced race be guiding all this making it appear "Godly"? If this was a Stargate Franchise show, the next series could blow the doors off the whole God aspect, showing us glimpses of their civilization?

Last edited by Sindatur; March 22nd 09 at 01:41.
Old March 22nd 09, 01:46   #1047
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

Quote:
I don't mind a sci-fi story having characters that believe in God, I just don't like the story presenting God as a real being that actually acts in the story. If it's some story that isn't sci-fi, I don't mind a God character, but my expectations of sci-fi is that it's more realistic than other genres, and the reality is that if God exists, we don't have any proof of that existence whatsoever.
I agree. I don't mind listening about the Cylon God or the Lords of Kobol in almost every episode, but I think that RDM cheated the viewers of his show by creating so many mysteries and resolving them with one EXTREMELY DUMB answer -

"God did it !"

It's just the lamest explanation ever, especially in a science - fiction show.

Last edited by Truth_Seeker; March 22nd 09 at 02:10.
Truth_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd 09, 01:49   #1048
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Quote:
He "instinctively" told the story? Yup, it shows. Plots and characterizations fluctuated at whatever direction the whim was blowing in the wind at the time. And the story suffered for it.
(Agree)

As a writer, he made so many mistakes, but I think the strengths of the program definitely pulled him through when it otherwise would have failed miserably.

I agree that characters and storylines can form more organically, but there has to be some semblance of order and thoughtfulness in place or it comes across as masturbatory and self-indulgent.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd 09, 02:07   #1049
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Again, Why? Why can't one Sci-Fi show end in (in your opinion, fantasy) a God being behind it all?
I think that no TV show (Sci-Fi or not) should ever end in a "God behind it all", simply because a big percentage of its viewers may not be religious at all (including me) and such an ending may seem like a huge betrayal of their trust in the series.

People always expect to see reasonable explanations and logical conclusions at the end of each story. This ending was an insult to all the non-religious viewers, who invested so much time in this show.
Old March 22nd 09, 02:37   #1050
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Seeker View Post
I think that no TV show (Sci-Fi or not) should ever end in a "God behind it all", simply because a big percentage of its viewers may not be religious at all (including me) and such an ending may seem like a huge betrayal of their trust in the series.

People always expect to see reasonable explanations and logical conclusions at the end of each story. This ending was an insult to all the non-religious viewers, who invested so much time in this show.
Why? Why can't the believed Sci-Fi Gods be "Vorlons being observed by ants"? You have science fiction in the Cylon war and the space flight. I agree the regular route to go is to make it in no uncertain terms that it's not "supernatural", but, why does the one that makes it "supernatural" have to be wrong?