B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 14th 09, 21:50   #971
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli
Re: Galactica Season 4 (Spoilers Within)

I pretty much agree with what GKE said a few posts ago. I'm just a bigger dick about it.

I actually AM hoping that the ending will be stupid, because at this point, I'm so over this show that I just want something I can point and laugh at. Something that'll prove what I've felt for a long time - that the writers had no idea where they where and where they were going with this thing.

No way can they pull of an ending spectacular enough to redeem all the sucking this show has been doing recently. And I enjoy bitching about this show way more than I enjoy this show.

My rant of the week: The Caprica-promoness. Why are you trying to sell us on your new show when you're still in the process of crashing your old show?

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th 09, 21:57   #972
Recoil
First One

Interesting review of this episode:

HERE

Complete with a handy-dandy checklist of questions answered and unanswered. The only thing I think they left off their little checklist from prior interviews was the nature of the song and how it ties into the story.

The writer of that blog clearly has more faith than I do right now.
Old March 14th 09, 22:27   #973
Recoil
First One

BTW I know this was off topic, but a great, and VERY detailed analysis of the finale of Sopranos.

HERE
Old March 14th 09, 22:47   #974
vacantlook

That article reminded me of one thing I had wanted to mention but had forgotten as a result of the rest of the suckitude of the episode: isn't it great that we are left to fill in Tyrol's incarceration with our imaginations since they didn't bother to show him being arrested post-Boomer escape.

Edit: also from the article, did this make anyone else laugh at the pretentiousness of it:

Quote:
...Ron Moore, David Eick, Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell at the United Nations to discuss the series' approach to 21st century geopolitical issues with a trio of UN reps, moderated by Whoopi Goldberg....
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th 09, 23:32   #975
Recoil
First One

I saw that "news" article last week, and did a complete eye roll. I think I have gone on record here more than once in saying when this series started taking a downwards turn, it was because those running the show felt that it was "more important" than it really was and started trying to make all these statements. Basically --- they not only believed the hype about their own show that they were reading, but they completely drank the Kool-Aid as well.

When it got better is when it got back to its roots.

The fact that they met with the UN about it really sickens me in more than one way. Seriously? Like the UN doesn't have a LOT more important things they could be doing?
Old March 15th 09, 01:15   #976
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
The fact that they met with the UN about it really sickens me in more than one way. Seriously? Like the UN doesn't have a LOT more important things they could be doing?
I agree. And what exactly does BSG have to do with 21st century geopolitical issues.

There are certainly more serious movies or documentaries, which really deserve that kind of recognition.
Old March 15th 09, 02:38   #977
GKarsEye
First One

Eh, that doesn't really bother me that much. Pop culture and art has always been part of the national or international dialogue and recognized as such, and sometimes it does effect how people think. I can't tell you how many stories I've heard about people sneaking rock 'n' roll records and video tapes behind the iron curtain and what it meant to them and inspired them.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th 09, 03:01   #978
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

That's very true. I've personally experienced just how much more "western", for example, Estonia is than other parts of the former Soviet Union. There are many reasons for this, but one of them is certainly that the Soviet Union never managed to enforce its block against Finnish television and radio. This not only gave people constant access to western news throughout the Soviet Union's 40 year reign, but also to Rock and Roll, Bond flicks, and the Eurovision song contest.

Iranian study mates have been telling me of the enormous significance American movies and TV series have for kids in Teheran, that freely swap them whenever the teachers aren't looking.

I just don't think BSG has the kind of cultural significance, though, or the kind of global market, to make it important in this way. Not that I'm offended by this or anything. Politicians need some RnR too - like talking about stupid shit.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th 09, 15:37   #979
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
I can't tell you how many stories I've heard about people sneaking rock 'n' roll records and video tapes behind the iron curtain and what it meant to them and inspired them.
One line of graffiti that was splashed across the Brandenburg Gate at the time of the Berlin Wall referred to Blackadder and proudly stated "Don't worry. Baldrick has a cunning plan!"

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th 09, 15:42   #980
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I met an aid worker normally based in Darfur who was on leave on the same holiday as me. She tells me that the pay structure and benefits for aid workers doing an equivalent job to hers are massively better.

There's a lot of things the UN should be doing better (although I'm a lot bolder with my criticism here because I'm not standing in their line of fire along the Golan Heights in the same way I was two days ago!).

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote