B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old February 23rd 09, 15:10   #801
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Re: Galactica Season 4 (Spoilers Within)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
The one think that makes me doubt the theory Recoil, Alluveal and myself have subscribed to is "All Along the Watchtower". Where did that come from? At the time, the only logical conclusion for me was that they were picking up a stray transition from Earth.

Of course, this also negates BSG canon as it stands now - the one in which everything on Earth has been dead for millenia.

So I have a hard time imagining how this could end up making sense in the end. Unless the producers are trying to tell us that Bob Dylan is a universal constant or some shit. In which case, they can blow me.
Moore has stated that it wasn't "from Earth" in a sense, that Dylan transcends all planets and all space. =) People were courting that theory on other message boards until someone dug up an interview that basically said, "I just wanted to use that in a show so badly, so I picked Galactica. Bob Dylan's song is universal."
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd 09, 19:12   #802
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Now THAT'S retarded.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th 09, 03:52   #803
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

Let's hope that there won't be a Rick Astley song in the next episode.

Can you imagine the scene:

CIC. Hoshi to Adama: Admiral, President Roslin is on the line, sir.

Adama picks up the phone and a strange voice tells him:

"You've just got Rick-Rolled ", followed by "Never Gonna Give You Up".

Seriously, I think they did a poor job in creating a distant human civilization, different from our own. Costumes, hairstyles, living quarters design, it's all too similar to 20th Century Earth.
Old February 24th 09, 12:07   #804
Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Seeker View Post
Seriously, I think they did a poor job in creating a distant human civilization, different from our own. Costumes, hairstyles, living quarters design, it's all too similar to 20th Century Earth.
This has been bugging me to no end.

Of course, every TV show will be silly in this regard - they're aliens from a galaxy far, far away. Why are they speaking English??? Why is this kid from a galaxy far, far away called "Luke"?

Reimaged BSG really made suspension of disbelief hard, though, when reducing the single-names the characters had in the original show into callsigns, and giving everyone proper American names, with first name and last name, and both of them often belonging to present earth culture.

List of minor BSG characters

Stewart, Samuel, Noel, Barry, ...

And then you've got Bulldog, long-lost Colonial pilot reappearing on Galactica .. with the name of Daniel Novaček.

AARGH! Czechs in space!

And you've got conversations about the difference between the names "William" and "Liam", where I'm just waiting for Adama to say "Liam. It's a good name. Irish for William."

Old February 24th 09, 12:17   #805
GKarsEye
First One

Of all the things to pick on with this show, you guys are reaching for the standard nitpicks internet nerds use for every mainstream sci-fi. Why are they speaking English? Why are aliens humanoid? Carl Sagan said... etc etc. The answer to all these things is always "because that makes it watchable."

If it makes you feel better, pretend they're speaking some exotic alien language and it's being "translated" for us.

Or maybe there still is some real connection between them and out Earth...
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th 09, 12:39   #806
Chilli

Hey, I'm NOT complaining about them speaking English. Like I said, stuff like that falls under suspension of disbelief.

It's when they make a civilization supposedly only having marginal connections to ours equivalent to ours to a degree where they've got Bob Dylan songs that I start thinking to myself that the writers are being a bit lazy.

Old February 24th 09, 12:55   #807
vacantlook

I'm starting to think that I'm the only person who's so unfamiliar with Dylan and that song that it doesn't even slightly ping on my real-world-o-meter.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th 09, 13:00   #808
Chilli

There must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the thief.

Old February 24th 09, 14:11   #809
Recoil
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
I'm starting to think that I'm the only person who's so unfamiliar with Dylan and that song that it doesn't even slightly ping on my real-world-o-meter.
I'm thinkin you are.
Old February 24th 09, 15:12   #810
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Of all the things to pick on with this show, you guys are reaching for the standard nitpicks internet nerds use for every mainstream sci-fi. Why are they speaking English? Why are aliens humanoid? Carl Sagan said... etc etc. The answer to all these things is always "because that makes it watchable."

If it makes you feel better, pretend they're speaking some exotic alien language and it's being "translated" for us.

Or maybe there still is some real connection between them and out Earth...
This. It's the same reason that we don't read current historical fiction that was written in Old English "just to be 100% authentic."

First and last names. Well, I'm willing to think that's ok, especially if they're either:

A. the dawn of mankind and will find the "real" Earth and populate it.
B. descendants of mankind (Earth being gone) and have taken whatever traditions/societal concepts along with them for the ride.

If you wanted to nitpick, you could start complaining about how they have a democracy, how they had a president of the 12 colonies, how they have "Colonial 1" the same as "Airforce 1," etc. etc. and so on.

The Bob Dylan thing:

Quote:
Ronald D. Moore: That's actually a song I've been interested in doing something about for a long time. It's one of Bob Dylan's really interesting pieces, and I've always been fascinated by the lyric and the imagery.
More that Moore says:

Quote:
I wanted to use "All Along the Watchtower" playing in a jukebox, in the background, not in the familiar Hendrix version, but just a Galactica version of "Watchtower", as a way of saying to the audience that there is a tie between this show and our reality. That, essentially— y'know, you've heard us say, over and over again throughout the series, that "all this has happened before, and all of it will happen again", and there's a sense of the cycle of time, that certain of these events are preordained, and that there's a cycle, there's truly a cycle. If you remember, in the episode "Flesh and Bone" in Season One, Leoben, the Cylon, is talking to Kara and he says that "there's a cycle of time. And maybe the next time through the cycle, I'll be the interrogator and you'll be the prisoner", and that the story is the same, but the players swap positions.

And the idea that there was a song or verse that transcended that cycle, that certain things repeated themselves— I mean why do they wear ties, why do they speak English, why are there certain phrases— there are phrases from Shakespeare sprinkled throughout the series. And there's a certain idea that all these things repeat themselves in certain ways for certain reasons, and so I wanted to use "All Along the Watchtower", something that would grab the audience to go: "Wait a minute, how the fuck could that be?! How could they possibly know what that is? Does that mean the show takes place in the distant future? Does it take place in the distant past? And what are the connections of that?" So it is a clue towards the larger explanation of what Galactica says the cosmology is, and so—
Not sure I "buy" this explanation. It feels a bit self-indulgent on part of Moore, but I was willing to suspend that disbelief in order to enjoy the series.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote