B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old February 21st 09, 20:01   #91
Recoil
First One

Re: LOST Casting Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
My favorite line from Mrs Hawking was when she told us "oh don't worry about how silly this is"

I mean I can only presume she was REALLY speaking to the audience
I felt the EXACT same way. That it was a message to the audience more than Jack. Still. It all was pretty silly.

As for Ben getting "sidetracked" since the first episode when he told that dude that since he killed Ben's daughter, that Ben was going to kill his. So I pretty much figured it was inevitable since then.
Old February 21st 09, 20:18   #92
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

I have a wild theory about the essence of the island.

I think that the island is located over a powerful source of gravity, like a small black hole for example.

We know that according to Einstein massive objects in the Universe (stars or black holes) have the ability to bend normal space. This phenomenon makes the planets rotate around the sun and also makes the stars rotate around the giant black hole in the centre of the galaxy.

We also know that time passes differently in the different corners of the solar system, because the gravitational force is different. Therefore gravity is able to bend not only space, but also time.

I think that this is the big secret of J.J. Abrams and Co. A small black hole in the middle of the ocean makes space and time behave differently. That's why the island is always moving and that's why there is a 35 minutes time difference between the island and the rest of the world.

That's my guess.By the way, I hated physics in high school.

Last edited by Truth_Seeker; February 21st 09 at 23:20.
Truth_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 09, 21:47   #93
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

It looks like my theory sounds too crazy for anyone to consider it.

I still hope that at the end of the series there will be some scientific and reasonable answers to everything, not some supernatural nonsense.

Or maybe it's time for me to stop looking for logical explanations in an illogical tv show.
Old February 22nd 09, 22:05   #94
Recoil
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Seeker View Post
Or maybe it's time for me to stop looking for logical explanations in an illogical tv show.
This.
Old February 22nd 09, 22:09   #95
GKarsEye
First One

Besides Mrs Faraday's line about silliness, there were two other seemingly illogical but convenient bits of plot device dialogue:

1. Kate refusing to discuss Aaron's disappearance w/ Jack. Unless we find out that someone put a gun to someone's head and said "if you tell Jack..." etc, it felt like a cheap way to add another mystery.

2. Jack refusing to read Locke's note. As if anybody wouldn't rip that thing open immediately, if not for any reason than trying to scrap together every bit of data on this weird situation one could. But no, it had to wait until Ben's dialogue which would best dramatically prepare Jack's character for greatest emotional impact upon finally reading the letter.

Quote:
This is more like it.
I think any pseudo-scientific explanations are beside the point. It could be black holes, wormholes, quantum something-or-other, some sort of mystical mumbo-jumbo... it doesn't really matter. Whatever nonsense they come up with will be to service any plots, not provide some reasonable explanation for anything.

In other words, the real explanation for the island: "magic."
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 09, 22:22   #96
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Besides Mrs Faraday's line about silliness, there were two other seemingly illogical but convenient bits of plot device dialogue:

1. Kate refusing to discuss Aaron's disappearance w/ Jack. Unless we find out that someone put a gun to someone's head and said "if you tell Jack..." etc, it felt like a cheap way to add another mystery.
Regarding this .. SPOILER FOR NEXT EPISODE COMING

Apparently, this episode and the next episode are interchangable - they both could be viewed either way, wouldn't make a difference. Which to me suggests that the next episode will be this episode all over again, just focusing on other characters. In which case we'd find out who beat up Ben (Sayid!), who made Hurley come (Charlie's Ghost!), who made Sun come, and what happened to Aaron. So it won't be a real new mystery

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 09, 22:28   #97
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
In other words, the real explanation for the island: "magic."
Magic?I am now absolutely gripped with pangs of fear that this is all another ploy by Joe Quesada.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 09, 22:43   #98
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Magic?I am now absolutely gripped with pangs of fear that this is all another ploy by Joe Quesada.
Well of course I don't mean magic in the Lord of the Rings sense, I mean in the dramatic sense.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old February 23rd 09, 11:11   #99
Pobman
Ambassador

Best line of the episode

Frank: "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Was an interesting episode. I thought that they would wait a bit longer before putting them back on the Island.

I wonder if they are in the same time frame as when they left.
Pobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd 09, 12:54   #100
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
I wonder if they are in the same time frame as when they left.
I think the appearance of Jin in a Dharma uniform implies they are not.

Unless.... well I suppose Jin could have been living on the island for 16 yrs.