• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT Actual DISCUSSION Thread

Re: Actual B5:TLT News

*votes to start a new thread relating to only actual NEWS for B5:TLT*

Maybe copy/paste all posts from this thread that are actually news content related? This one has turned into a general B5, with some non-b5 Joss Whedon talk thrown in. If anyone dares post news here its gonna get lost in the chaos...

Perhaps rename this thread to B5:TLT Discussion thread, and open a new news thread with the news posts?

Two threads is a good idea. At the moment I want a way to find the latest actual news fast, but at the same time it's difficult to resist the temptation to comment on the latest snippet which can easily lead to full blown discussion. Maybe the actual news posts could be duplicated in both threads, but the 'news only' thread could be locked down with spurious posts copied to the other thread when they appear?

I agree with Recoil and Hypatia. I'd like be able to just check the news, if I don't have the time or inclination to wade through all the other stuff.

Two threads is a good idea. At the moment I want a way to find the latest actual news fast, but at the same time it's difficult to resist the temptation to comment on the latest snippet which can easily lead to full blown discussion.

Okay, call me cynical but...everybody agreed, too, back when the original plan was to change the title if their post was non-news but that didn't last long at all. So what's different about this plan except that the moderators are going to have to be the ones doing the work when people get forgetful or lazy? *Anybody* could have started the second thread by now, couldn't they, but it's not up yet...

Like I said, call me cynical...

Jan

*Anybody* could have started the second thread by now, couldn't they, but it's not up yet...

Why? Without some control over who could post to the thread, it would just devolve as well.

If we're going to have a Actual B5:TLT News thread here, only moderators should be able to post to it. Presumably, they have a bit more self control. :devil: :)

Okay, call me cynical but...everybody agreed, too, back when the original plan was to change the title if their post was non-news but that didn't last long at all. So what's different about this plan except that the moderators are going to have to be the ones doing the work when people get forgetful or lazy? *Anybody* could have started the second thread by now, couldn't they, but it's not up yet...

Like I said, call me cynical...

Jan

That's where the Moderators need to weigh in...

Discussion of "Actual B5 TLT news"

So this is where we discuss the news we read in the news thread, right?

First, it just sounds better and better when more descriptions of it slip out. I can't wait to see what "tribute" he made to Biggs and Katsulas. Boxleitner says we get to know more about their futures. It'll be interesting, if sad. :(

The latest Babylon 5 adventure, Babylon 5: The Lost Tales — Voices in the Dark, won’t air on TV — at least not right away — but will instead by released as a direct-to-DVD movie in late July, timed to coincide, promotionally, with the annual Comic-Con in San Diego.

Oooo. What a nice birthday gift to myself. :D

Re: Discussion of "Actual B5 TLT news"

So this is where we discuss the news we read in the news thread, right?
I'd presume so. Might be nice if the thread title could be changed to something like "B5 TLT news discussion thread" or something like that by a mod? And since the other thread is intended to have a low volume and frequency of posts in it, it might be a good idea to sticky it and prevent it from dropping off the forum first page constantly.

I thanked Shabazz (I believe) for that Bruce interview in the other thread and saw this after..

News only, please.

Didn't want to apologize in that thread and post non-news again so doing it here where I assume the comments go.. Much apologizings and sorry about that....

Keep :)

Last edited:

Well, to get back to speculating on on JMS' latest - he said that the title sequence would incorporate all the major characters - which I assumed meant that it incorporated clips from the original series (TOS? :)). But then I remembered that TLT is being done in Hi-def - does that mean that any such clips would have to be upscaled from the original prints?

On that topic, would we expect to see flashbacks in this or (hopefully) future instalments of TLT, and if so would those be upscaled? And if they involved effects shots might they be updated in these? As JMS has more or less said that he aims to establish a new visual style with TLT, how do people feel about incorporating footage from nineties-era B5 (personally I'm slightly uncomfortable about the idea in case the difference looks jarring, but will reserve judgement to see how well it works, if it's done)?

Secondly, assuming that no television network has jumped on board yet over screening TLT, will the editors feel free to cut installments to whatever length feels right and best serves the story (given that the 42 and 1hr 24 minute conventions are purely based on the length of the ad breaks in a 1hr block of US television)? Might we even see separate DVD and TV edits, or would they follow the TV convention simply because it might end up on TV at some point (although proper movies end up on TV without it seeming to cause a problem)?

I've been wondering the exact same thing over at the jmsnews forum, RMcD. To quote my posts there:
Ok, something I've been personally wondering about based on this last update. He states that they've "designed a brand new title sequence for Babylon 5, which incorporates all of the major characters, and emphasizes the interconnectedness of the characters seen over the show". Would the major characters be from VitD, or (what seems more likely to me with the wording) the major characters from B5 TOS and the B5 universe in general? And if it is the latter, that would probably involve stock footage, so I'm curious how they would approach that. And if they would actually do an HD transfer for the stock footage to match it up with the rest of the show, which might give us our first look at how the old stuff would look with a new telecine (to drag up an old topic ;)).
On the other hand, he may want to use the title sequence the emphasize that VitD is intended to be part of a bigger whole of a continuing anthology series, just like TLaDiS had a title sequence emphasizing its nature of being intended as a first episode in a larger series. Having the TOS cast in it would make sense in that regard, and if done right it also might actually be a good way to generate an appetite for more instalments in viewers, rather than confusion. Plus, it would further emphasize that this is the new volume after the end of the first one.

However, what made me think at first glance that he might be talking about the B5 cast in a more general sense than just those in VitD, is his exact wording. He says it "incorporates all of the major characters". If it is just the major characters VitD, that would be two, maybe three characters he is talking about, depending on how you exactly define what a major character is. I suppose it is still valid to say "all of the major characters" even if it is just 2-3 people you're speaking off, but at first glance it seemed to imply the statement being meant in a larger context. Furthermore, he talks about how it will emphasize "the interconnectedness of the characters seen over the show". The show he is referring to isn't entirely clear from that sentence, but I took it as the interconnectedness as we saw over the original B5 show. Maybe that's assuming a bit too much though.

And I personally don't really worry too much about the usage of stock footage being jarring. The most glaring difference between TOS and TLT visual styles will probably be in the CGI shots, and I don't think it would be quite as pronounced for the live action shots, which is what you would want to use stock footage for. If they really want to flashback to a full CGI shot of a TOS event, they'll probably (hopefully?) just redo the entire thing at Atmosphere. Upscaling the original 480i 4:3 NTSC effects shots to cropped 1080p versions is going to look horrible, and just redoing the shots also prevents them from being jarring with the new stuff.

The most glaring difference between TOS and TLT visual styles will probably be in the CGI shots, and I don't think it would be quite as pronounced for the live action shots, which is what you would want to use stock footage for.
But considering what we've been hearing about the more extensive use of "virtual sets" in the TLT, the live action shots *may* also be noticably different ..... especially when directly intercut.

I think that at the moment, its going to be cheaper to go from fresh rather than start ripping old footage into its seperate components and adding new CGI... but we will see...

But considering what we've been hearing about the more extensive use of "virtual sets" in the TLT, the live action shots *may* also be noticably different ..... especially when directly intercut.
Well, it isn't overwhelming evidence, but the pictures we've seen of the sets seem to indicate that the physical sets will still have a roughly similar feel to them, with the plywood look and scumbled paintjobs. If they can get those roughly TOS looking sets to fit nicely with some of the newer looking virtual stuff, then using stockfootage with the actual original sets shouldn't be hugely jarring. I admit, lot of assumptions there though.

I don't think it would matter hugely for a title sequence, using old footage with the goal of getting some mugs or bodyshots of the original cast. It would indeed probably be more of an issue if you would do a full flashback in the show proper. But I think it still could be made to work. Obviously I don't know exactly how the final TLT product will look, but I honestly don't think it would be that big of a deal for the live action stuff. I could be totally wrong though, since it is all conjecture at this point. ;)
I think that at the moment, its going to be cheaper to go from fresh rather than start ripping old footage into its seperate components and adding new CGI... but we will see...
I think it is a given that if they do decide to ever use stock footage in TLT, it will be for things they couldn't create from scratch at this point. And it shouldn't be that expensive to re-telecine, say, a minute of stockfootage. Compared to the cost of shooting something that ends up at 1 minute running length, it's probably going to be cheaper. Getting some of the stuff from the earlier seasons cleaned up to look nice at HD might be a challenge though, since some of it looks really noisy and grainy and dirty at times. But I honestly don't think cost will be a factor in using stock footage or not. I think the overriding factor would be simply if JMS feels a story needs a flashback or not for the narrative to work well. If he does, I think it would be feasible to be done in a decent way.

I'm really excited to hear that Atmosphere is doing the effects. Their work on Battlestar Galactica is very impressive!

I'm really excited to hear that Atmosphere is doing the effects. Their work on Battlestar Galactica is very impressive!

Definitely, I thought their demo reel seemed to contain all the most amazing effects shots from BSG, which bodes very well.. :)

"If anyone dares post here it's gonna get lost in the chaos." - Recoil

I was blown away by how many pages this thread strayed form BTLT with all this Joss Whedon controversy. I agree with Recoil, create a seperate thread because this one should stay pure for BTLT (the other BTLT thread is for news only). This is the only one we have to post conversations about the exciting new direct to DVD episodes.

"If anyone dares post here it's gonna get lost in the chaos." - Recoil

I was blown away by how many pages this thread strayed form BTLT with all this Joss Whedon controversy. I agree with Recoil, create a seperate thread because this one should stay pure for BTLT (the other BTLT thread is for news only). This is the only one we have to post conversations about the exciting new direct to DVD episodes.

In case you haven't found the info yet, July 2007 is when the DVD is expected to be released.

Back