B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Other TV-related forums > Non-B5 books, TV & films

Old December 25th 09, 19:05   #1
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad
Doctor Who: The End of Time (You have been Warned)

Part one....

THAT was AWESOME!

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th 09, 17:48   #2
admiraldave
First One

Re: Doctor Who: The End of Time (You have been Warned)

I thought it was a little ridiculous. I mean, I liked several parts of it, but others had me wondering if RTD's main plan was a whole episode to set up for a dumb pun.

That said, one thing RTD does really well is great conversations. Several of the scenes between the Doctor and Wilf, and the Doctor and the Master were really well done. I particularly loved the scene in the cafe. Lovely.

But the Ood were kinda wasted in their short cameo, the "Fools" were horribly underdeveloped, seeing the Master jump around and shooting lightning bolts brought back horrible memories of "Heroes".

I'll wait for Part 2 to pass judgement on the "End of Time" as a whole, but for now ... it's a disappointment after "Waters of Mars", the best of the Who Specials.

Luck favors the prepared. - Edna Mode
admiraldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th 09, 17:59   #3
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiraldave View Post
I'll wait for Part 2 to pass judgement on the "End of Time" as a whole, but for now ... it's a disappointment after "Waters of Mars", the best of the Who Specials.
Can't say how much I totally disagree with that. The last 15 minutes of TWoM was spectacular and sure the water creatures were the scariest things I've seen for a while.... but there was WAY too much padding for the first 3/4's.

The pathos and touching scenes with Wilf and the return of the you know who were the best part.

The bits I didn't like were the usual things that occur with RTD stories... he performs spectacular and brilliant big gestures in terms of plot development... but he rarely gives a satisfactory explanation or dramatic flow as to how those gestures are possible.

So the Master is everywhere... it's a very dramatic and great cliffhanger but like the Toclafane... how did we really get there?

So the you know who are back and look royally pee'd off... we guessed that was coming and yes it's a great dramatic twist... but how did that become possible (yes, I'm sure it was to do with the planet healing device... but it needs a little more extrapolation as to how it happened).

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Old December 27th 09, 18:18   #4
Jade Jaguar
First One

I dug it. It had a good beat, and it was easy to dance to...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th 09, 22:20   #5
Kara Baxter
Telepath

hey i don't know what you are talking about...

can you give us a brief summary of those who aren't in the KNOW...
Kara Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th 09, 23:54   #6
Galahad
First One

Spoiler for Plot Synopsis For The End of Time:
The people of Earth begin to experience bad dreams according to an offscreen Narrator, at the time we are not aware of what these dreams are but it later becomes apparent that it is the collecive subconscious memory of The Master.

Wilfred Mott is seen in a church looking at a stained glass window with a very small subtle image of a TARDIS in it. A mysterious lady (some have speculated she may be the White Guardian) unsettles Wilfred by talking to him about sacrifice and how a Saintly Physician once saved the people in the window.

The Master's disciples come to a prison to bust out Lucy Saxon. They do so in order to get the Master's DNA imprint from her lips.

The Doctor finally shows up on the Ood planet and shares in their collective vision (it's the same vision the people of Earth are having), shocked and troubled, he heads for Earth.

While this is happening, an elaborate ceremony takes place to resurrect the Master... but it turns out Lucy is not on her late husband's side anymore and she interrupts the resurrection process with a cocktail of her own. there is a huge explosion that destroys the prison... but the Master is not dead... but changed. He proceeds to a junkyard where he consumes a burger and then a burger van's staff, followed by two more lurkers.

The Doctor shows up and hears the Master banging an oil drum with a metal pipe. (The Master is aware of the Doctor's presence and just wants to have it out). The Doctor gives chase but is found by Wilfred and his gang before he can get to him.

The Doctor has a heart to heart with Wilfred over his recent misadventures and what he knows of the prophecy concerning his death. Then he muses over why he keeps getting drawn back to Wilfred.

Eventually the Doc goes after the Master again but the Master overcomes him withsuperspeed, bounding and lightning bolts from his hands. The Doctor didn't fight he just kept walking. till he was knocked down with burns on the centre of his clothing.

They talk, the Doctor tells the Master that he is burning up and he needs to be fixed or he will die.

The Master refuses to be helped and tries to get away... but then a light emerges from the sky and a black ops helicopter kidnaps the Master. The Doctor is shot at and then knocked unconscious.

The mysterious woman appears to Wilf again via tv link. She hurts him a little by reminding him that he never saw action in the war because his drafting came too late. Wilf protests that she is saying that it is a bad thing that he never killed a man. She informs him that there will be a time for him to take up arms... and that the Doctor's life may still be saved. Wilf runs up to his box of trinkets from the War and pulls out his field revolver.

The Master has been captured by a man who wants to harness the power in an alien machine to grant his daughter perpetual youth. He gives the Master a Christmas turkey for a meal and the Master devours the whole turkey in seconds/minutes.

The Master naturally betrays this man but we do not see this yet.

The Doctor and Wilf smuggle themselves into the home of the man who kidnapped the Master. The doctor sets his TARDIS out of synch with reality in order to protect it from the Master, should he get opportunity to steal it.

There are two aliens (like the red alien from Voyage of the Damned only green, taller and a different race), they know of the alien device's real capabilities but cannot fully restore it. Once the Doctor learns of this he runs to stop the Master (the device can heal whole planets). The Master sets the machine in operation and the Doctor is too late. People start experiencing visions of the Master. The Doctor throws himself and Wilf into a radiation protection room and tries to shut the device down. He deliberately shields Wilf from the effects of the machine, as it turns out the Master has configured it in such a way that he can recode the human race's dna so that it is identical to his. He breaks free of his guards and walks into the portal.

Every human being except Wilf starts shaking their heads from side to side faster than frame rate (even Barak Obama who is about to give a keynote speech on Economic recovery plans).

One by one every human on Earth with the exception of wilf, becomes The Master ( a nod to Agent Smith surely).

Cheesy but funny pun from The Master "There is no human race there is only the Master Race"

The narrator concludes that this is how the human race was wiped out but that even the Master could not have foreseen the full effects of his actions and that greater things were taking place... and so we pull away from shots of Masters everywhere on Earth, from the Earth itself... across the galaxy to a great opera house like hall, where Timothy Dalton (in full Timelord regalia) announces with great spit and slightly menacingly, that the Timelords have returned to reclaim their rightful place.

The last shot pulls away from him and we see timelords filling the hall and chanting back to him. they mean business.

And that I think is everything you need to know so far...

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Old December 28th 09, 00:18   #7
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

I didn't enjoy it at all, but that didn't come as a surprise to me. The more RTD goes for "grand", the worse his scripts get for me - the S1 finale was not very good, the S2 finale was bad, and the S3 finale was just terrible - and with each one, he was trying to outdo the last one. It's not much of a surprise that two specials titled "The End of Time", that incidentially are both RTD's and DT's last stories, are grand, grander than anything we've seen before. All of my favourite RTD scripts are standalone episodes, driven by characters and possibly a monster-of-the-week.

Other things that sucked:
* Too much "the master is craaaaazy". Yeah. Got it.
* Building too much on past episodes that sucked - in particular the "The Last of the Timelords".
* The Doctor suddenly having a "special connection" with Wilf.
* Bringing back Gallifrey with no explanation. The more the Doctor has been talking about Gallifrey being gone for good, the more I was convinced it would eventually be back. Like the Daleks. And the Cyberman.
* The "he will knock four times" thing is growing old.

I'm hoping the finale will be better, but I doubt it. At least there will be evil Timothy Dalton, which is always a plus.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th 09, 02:00   #8
admiraldave
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Can't say how much I totally disagree with that. The last 15 minutes of TWoM was spectacular and sure the water creatures were the scariest things I've seen for a while.... but there was WAY too much padding for the first 3/4's.
To be specific, I'm strictly discussing the specials since "Journey's End", and it's not the best sampling. I loved "The Next Doctor", but the ending was rushed and the villian wasn't given quite enough weight. I loved the first half, though, and Morrissey was brilliant. "Planet of the Dead" ... well, let's put it this way ... I have watched every episode of New Who at least twice, if not many times. There are two exceptions, "Fear Her" and "Planet of the Dead".

Luck favors the prepared. - Edna Mode
admiraldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th 09, 04:52   #9
Kara Baxter
Telepath

thanks g.

but is this on dvd, the theaters, or tv?
Kara Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th 09, 09:57   #10
Galahad
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiraldave View Post
I loved "The Next Doctor", but the ending was rushed and the villian wasn't given quite enough weight. I loved the first half, though, and Morrissey was brilliant.
Imteresting, i thought the Morrissey/Tennant chemistry was the only saving point of that special. I hated the steampunk cyberman giant. You are right about the villain and i think Dervla Kirwan may have been miscast.

Quote:
"Planet of the Dead" ... well, let's put it this way ... I have watched every episode of New Who at least twice, if not many times. There are two exceptions, "Fear Her" and "Planet of the Dead".
I found PotD more watchable than The Next Doctor.

I think we can all agree on one thing though... Moffatt is by far the best and most consistently good writer on modern Who.

My personal fantasising over Carey Mulligan aside... Blink is brilliant. The plot strongly adheres to temporal theory and when you consider that this was a "Doctorlite" episode... it's holds together magnificently...

and Sally Sparrow (Carey Mulligan) is unbelievably cute.

A lot of people are saying they will walk out when Tennant leaves the show. They need to give Moffatt a chance as producer... he is more of a fanboy than RTD and he understands Who on a much deeper level. For pities sake he even turned down a major spielberg project to secure the gig as Head Writer/Producer of Doctor Who.

Some people over at Twitter have noted that they are willing to sacrifice 10 if it means losing RTD.

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY