B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Classic: Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.related

Closed Thread

Old April 29th 08, 15:53   #1
Garovorkin
Telepath

Battlestar Galactica The Greatest Scif show? or Babylon 5 [Spoilers for BSG S4]

Lots of people are calling Battlestar Galactica the best science fiction show ever and probably the best science fiction show of all time. I think is a great show and yes its won a Peabody Award, but really the Greatest ever? I don't think so. Its it the greatest science fiction show ever? again I don't think so. I would put it in the top ten science fiction show of all time. But lets face facts Greatest science fiction show of all time winner and still champ Babylon 5 hands down. Lets see some opinions on this one.
Old April 29th 08, 16:28   #2
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

Re: Battlestar Galactica The Greatest Scif show? or Babylon 5

I think that there is no hesitation that B5 is the greatest Sci Fi Show for all the members of this forum.Of course I'm sure that if I open a fansite of "Farscape","Star Trek" or "Battlestar Galactica" I will read exactly the same thing about those shows.It's very subjective and it depends on the person watching.For me personally there is nothing that can be compared to B5 even 10 years after the end of the series
Old April 29th 08, 19:43   #3
vacantlook

The one biggest flaw in BSG, if you ask me, is the near total lack of humor. It's just all apocalypse all the time, and that can wear me out as a viewer.
Old April 29th 08, 19:45   #4
Admiral Beckham
Ranger

Which Galactica are you referring to?

The original was bad, but the remake is so terrible that it makes the original shine as brilliant as a SUPER NOVA.

The only people that like the new and "improved" "G.I.N.O." are those that have rarely or never seen quality film making or storytelling. Trying to compare B5 to GINO is just assinine.

NBSG "GINO" is a riff fest that not only steals concepts, but whole dialog and entire scenes from other movies. I question you, is this great filmmaking or storytelling? Does this make it gripping or edgy?

Some say that the series is fantastic because of the great reveiws it gets, I haven't seen anything in the episodes that I've seen that would grant a rave reveiw. If anyone has please enlighten me. I have written damning reveiws of the show and friends have written reveiws that made mine look down right tame by comparison.

The series is so chockfull of plotholes, that I'm suprised that the entire convoy hasn't fallen through one yet. Ronald Moore, aka the Moore,Ron contantly hits the reset button to write himself out of a hole that he wrote himself into. Even if he didn't write the episode script, he had to approve it and he keeps the craptastic writers on staff.

James
Old April 30th 08, 22:45   #5
GaribaldisHair
First One

For me, Galactica is a weird show. It has some really good stuff going on, some nice mysteries and intrigue, but I do find the lack of any kind of lighter touch wearing, and if being a human has taught me one thing ... when the going gets tough, the tough start telling jokes to lighten the mood. I just find it completely unrealistic in that sense.

I really, really want to love this show. I have the first two seasons on DVD, missed most of the third but saw the finale, and the final season has recently started on SkyOne. I really want to watch it and see how the story resolves but, you know, I just can't raise the enthusiasm.

Deep down I think this is a show I should be into, on paper it hits all the right buttons ... multi-faceted (although humourless) characters, complex ongoing story arcs, great SFX, snappy (although humourless) dialogue, betrayal, surprises etc ... but there is just something missing.

And I am buggered if I have any idea what it is.

Cake or death?
Old April 30th 08, 23:08   #6
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

There is one thing about Galactica that is somehow strange.During their search for Earth the survivers passed through dozens of star systems an they didn't encounter any intelligent alien race even on the habitable New Caprica.I know that the story doesn't have a place for alien contacts but this makes it the first space sci fi show that has absolutely no aliens except for the cylons but they are technically machines.That's kind of weird.
Old April 30th 08, 23:12   #7
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Seeker View Post
...I know that the story doesn't have a place for alien contacts but this makes it the first space sci fi show that has absolutely no aliens....
Firefly had none.
Old April 30th 08, 23:17   #8
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Firefly had none.
I still haven't watched Firefly but I'm reading only good things about it.

I'm wondering is there any explanation for this lack of intelligent alien species in Galactica's universe.
Old May 1st 08, 00:07   #9
Cell
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Beckham View Post
The only people that like the new and "improved" "G.I.N.O." are those that have rarely or never seen quality film making or storytelling. Trying to compare B5 to GINO is just assinine.
Opinions and all that, but really, that's about as stupid of a statement as someone can make. "You like that, well then, you have no idea what good film making or storytelling is." Since BSG is made in the interpretive art form perhaps it is merely the fact that a lot of people find things in the show that you don't? There are plenty of people that think B5 is complete crap, and they have their reasons for it. I do not agree with them, just as I don't agree with your blanket assessment of BSG or the people that like it, however when those people give their reasons for why they don't like it and they don't have to resort to, "well, if you like it then you just don't know what good film making is" then they actually come across as knowing what they are talking about and I can understand and respect their reasons. Your reasons on the other hand are nullified the moment you have to resort to hyperbole and grandiose statements that do nothing but generalize and make you seem foolish.

As for the question, I haven't seen enough BSG to judge it. Best sci-fi on TV ever for me is a toss-up between B5 and Firefly. Both are great for their various reasons, and I really have a hard time picking between the two.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Old May 1st 08, 00:09   #10
vacantlook

Firefly has a bit of a stronger reason for not having aliens as the entirety of it takes place within a single solar system.

I imagine BSG doesn't have it partially out of stylistic storytelling choice and partially out of the production decision to save money by not having to develop the aliens.
Closed Thread