B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Classic: Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.related

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 23rd 11, 00:37   #21
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador
 
AnlaShokGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 451
Re: Legend of the rangers first time viewing.

And by the way, what I was looking for an explanation of was *what* perspective distortion *is*. That's why I used the fish-eye lens example. What is distorted there? What aspect of my face looks wrong? Because it's pretty much exactly what I see when I look in the mirror, and generally nobody complains about my face.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me why my old profile pic is still appearing? I changed it at least ten minutes ago, and looking at my user CP, it shows the correct (new) one, but the latest message (this one) does *not* show it.
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd 11, 05:35   #22
KoshN
Moderator
 
KoshN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Pittsburgh PA Suburbs, USA
Posts: 8,567
Re: Legend of the rangers first time viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnlaShokGrey View Post
And by the way, what I was looking for an explanation of was *what* perspective distortion *is*. That's why I used the fish-eye lens example. What is distorted there? What aspect of my face looks wrong? Because it's pretty much exactly what I see when I look in the mirror, and generally nobody complains about my face.
As I continue to flog a dead horse.....

I've SEEN pictures of you (stuff you posted of yourself in the Philly area.), and what's in that avatar isn't you. Regarding how you see yourself in the mirror:

1. What distance from the mirror are you. Multiply that by two to get the distance that's comparable to a camera to subject distance.

2. In photography, portraits (designed to be natural and flattering), are usually taken between 6ft. and 8ft. away. That's what works.
__________________
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-----------------------------
"Crusade" (1999) - "War Zone"
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; July 7th 11 at 18:14. Reason: nothing major or substantive
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd 11, 08:45   #23
Kribu
Administrator
 
Kribu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Posts: 13,775
Re: Legend of the rangers first time viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnlaShokGrey View Post
Incidentally, can anyone tell me why my old profile pic is still appearing? I changed it at least ten minutes ago, and looking at my user CP, it shows the correct (new) one, but the latest message (this one) does *not* show it.
Avatar (first option under Settings & Options) and profile picture (third option under Your profile) are two different things in the user CP. Is it possible that you changed your profile picture, but not your avatar?
__________________
I don't show off. I merely demonstrate my abilities at opportune times. - Skulduggery Pleasant.
Kribu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd 11, 15:42   #24
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer
 
Chilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,497
Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli
Re: Legend of the rangers first time viewing.

The latest XKCD comic seems kind of topical to this conversation. I cannot say that the context/mannerisms here seem any less odd than they seem there. A filter for a webcam pic? Really?

AnlaShokGrey, you look lovely, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise .. but it helps that I know to not expect the same results from a webcam that one would expect from an SLR camera.
__________________

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd 11, 21:12   #25
KoshN
Moderator
 
KoshN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Pittsburgh PA Suburbs, USA
Posts: 8,567
Re: Legend of the rangers first time viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
The latest XKCD comic seems kind of topical to this conversation. I cannot say that the context/mannerisms here seem any less odd than they seem there. A filter for a webcam pic? Really?
Noooo, I just mentioned that as added info., That filter is almost magical in its ability to make photos of girls improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
AnlaShokGrey, you look lovely, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise .. but it helps that I know to not expect the same results from a webcam that one would expect from an SLR camera.
See, I KNEW I shouldn't have bothered.
__________________
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-----------------------------
"Crusade" (1999) - "War Zone"
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th 11, 01:13   #26
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador
 
AnlaShokGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 451
Re: Legend of the rangers first time viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kribu View Post
Avatar (first option under Settings & Options) and profile picture (third option under Your profile) are two different things in the user CP. Is it possible that you changed your profile picture, but not your avatar?
Probable, in fact. :-) Thanks very much, Kribu.
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th 11, 01:17   #27
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador
 
AnlaShokGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 451
Re: Legend of the rangers first time viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
I've SEEN pictures of you (stuff you posted of yourself in the Philly area.), and what's in that avatar isn't you. Regarding how you see yourself in the mirror:
1. What distance from the mirror are you. Multiply that by two to get the distance that's comparable to a camera to subject distance.
2. In photography, portraits (designed to be natural and flattering), are usually taken between 6ft. and 8ft. away. That's what works.
Mac, if you're going by old pictures you've seen of me (and it sounds like you're maybe talking about my SyFy-wrapped car photo gallery), you've got outdated information. I've lost quite a bit of weight since then — QUITE a lot, if in fact those are the pictures you mean — and my face has changed. Markedly.

As for how far I stand from a mirror? You'd be surprised how close I get to a mirror every day. Eyebrow plucking, makeup application, and other girl-grooming gets done about an inch from said mirror.

I'm sure you're right about what's done *in photography*. However, the standards for internet avatars and profile pictues are *much* looser. Seriously, you can't think I'm the only person online who is using their monitor, at that distance, to take their avatar/profile picture?

(BTW, the new picture was taken from the same chair, the same (approx.) distance from the monitor, the same built-in Apple webcam. And it's *also* a few pounds less than the previous one.)

Last edited by AnlaShokGrey; June 24th 11 at 01:21. Reason: Added a thought...
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th 11, 01:20   #28
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador
 
AnlaShokGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 451
Re: Legend of the rangers first time viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
The latest XKCD comic seems kind of topical to this conversation. I cannot say that the context/mannerisms here seem any less odd than they seem there. A filter for a webcam pic? Really?
Chilli, that was quite hilarious (but XKCD often is)!

And thanks for the kind words. (BTW, it's Amy. Am I that much of a stranger here these days that people don't know that I'm Amy? Sob!)
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th 11, 04:17   #29
hypatia
First One
 
hypatia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 27,935
Re: Legend of the rangers first time viewing.

Many folks have changed their names around here, and he's kind of a busy guy.

I took one look at your picture and could tell you lost weight, by the way. You look very good! congrats on that. Cameras do put on weight, that's true, don't let that bother you.
__________________
"If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal."
-- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th 11, 10:07   #30
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer
 
Chilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,497
Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli
Re: Legend of the rangers first time viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnlaShokGrey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
The latest XKCD comic seems kind of topical to this conversation. I cannot say that the context/mannerisms here seem any less odd than they seem there. A filter for a webcam pic? Really?
Chilli, that was quite hilarious (but XKCD often is)!

And thanks for the kind words. (BTW, it's Amy. Am I that much of a stranger here these days that people don't know that I'm Amy? Sob!)
I thought it was, but for the reason hyp gave, I was not 100% sure. And decided that going by nick was less potentially embarrasing than going by someone else's name
__________________

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2018 B5TV.COM