B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Other TV-related forums > Non-B5 books, TV & films

Old July 24th 07, 22:48   #21
hypatia
First One

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: SPOILERS

You mean "book time" not "screen time", right?

Well, if they don't cut anything he says when they make movie 7, he'll have the longest part ever in one of the recent movies. I mean Snape has been cut to almost nothing in really films 4 and 5. Given just the "book time" he gets in book 7 and his role would actually expand quite a bit.

More than 4 minutes dialoge and some distant, group shots at least.
Old July 25th 07, 04:58   #22
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Trouble is, it'll only be Alan Rickman for about half of that. And you know they'll cut it.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th 07, 05:17   #23
hypatia
First One

Yea.

One big Harry Potter fan who really gets into the theorizing and debating (until the end) commented that in the next movie she'd heard they're cutting out Harry as being superfluous to the plot.

O.K. I admit it. For just one little second I thought it might be true.

My friend is a little stinker, I don't believe I mentioned that.

Mostly I think they'll find they have to use Snape a bit in the last movie. And obviously even if he's cut back a lot, there will be one scene in movie 6 (Half-Blood Prince) that you know will be a great moment.

That I want to see.
Old July 25th 07, 06:03   #24
Kribu
Administrator

He would have to get at least two scenes in HBP ... the Vow with Narcissa, and the scene on top of the Astronomy Tower.

Unless they cut them out and simply have Harry run to the infirmary towards the end, crying out that Snape just killed Dumbledore for no reason whatsoever apart from being a nasty bastard. Which could happen...
Old July 25th 07, 06:13   #25
hypatia
First One

God, you never know. I still wonder if they'll have a bit of trouble even finding a director for the last film. But that's another topic.

I think this book broke records on copies sold in a very short time.
Old July 25th 07, 13:29   #26
Elenopa
First One

OK, I've read it.

I said I wouldn't buy it, but my Mum got it for me.

So, my thoughts;

Boy does the woman waffle! You've got to keep reading just to get to any action. How much description and meandering conversations and exposition can you have without giving anything away? It could have been edited down to at least half the page count and still been a decent story.

At least they stayed away from Hogwarts for most of the book. I was afraid it was going to be OotP again, which started promisingly, but then ended up being much of the same old, same old again. We were spared the lessons, the quiddich, the outsmarting of Snape at least.

I didn't think she'd be brave enough to kill of any of the three main characters. I did feel regret over Hedwig, but most of the other deaths were secondary characters at best. I felt sorry for Lupin and Tonks, but after giving Remus a really good introduction in PoA, she didn't do anything more with the character.

I think part of the problem with the stories are that they never break away from Harry. I know it's his book, but he spent so much of it isolated from everyone else and everything else. Having scenes showing what Vordlemort was doing would have brought home the gravity of the situation better. Again this is what OotP failed at. During the whole book, it felt like the Order wasn't doing anything, and they might not have been there. I would like to see that side of the conflict written about, as there was so much more going on that we just didn't see. (Imagine B5 being written just from the point of view of one character. Boring and fustrating.)

I have one big question, which I haven't looked to see if there is an answer on the net, because I only finished the book this morning. How did Neville get the sword of Godric Gryffindor?

You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word - Marcus Cole

Always grab a chance and you won't be sorry for a might have been - Commander Ted Walker RN

T-shirts and gifts for Scout and Guide leaders
Official Babylon 5 quote gear from JMS
Elenopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th 07, 14:03   #27
Kribu
Administrator

Quote:
How did Neville get the sword of Godric Gryffindor?
I haven't yet seen a "definitive answer" to that anywhere, but quite a bit of guesswork... my own guess is that perhaps Gryffindor had put some sort of enchantment/spell on it to make sure that whenever a "true Gryffindor" needed it, he could get it from the Hat (which was Gryffindor's as well), no matter where the sword was physically situated at the time.

So I am assuming there was some sort of a connection between the Hat and the sword, put there by Gryffindor.

In any case, I suspect there was one mightily pissed-off goblin there when the sword went missing...

Perhaps we'll get an answer to it eventually.
Old July 25th 07, 14:18   #28
Elenopa
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kribu View Post
I haven't yet seen a "definitive answer" to that anywhere, but quite a bit of guesswork... my own guess is that perhaps Gryffindor had put some sort of enchantment/spell on it to make sure that whenever a "true Gryffindor" needed it, he could get it from the Hat (which was Gryffindor's as well), no matter where the sword was physically situated at the time.

So I am assuming there was some sort of a connection between the Hat and the sword, put there by Gryffindor.
If this is the case, which it might well be, why don't we get a two sentence explanation? Harry pulled the sword from the hat back in book two, which is a long time ago.

She spends hundreds of pages saying very little, then misses out on this.

Just thinking about the films, how are they going to explain the locket in film seven when it wasn't even mentioned in film five? It had been found when they had originally cleaned the house and thought it was rubbish. That's going to take some explaining.

You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word - Marcus Cole

Always grab a chance and you won't be sorry for a might have been - Commander Ted Walker RN

T-shirts and gifts for Scout and Guide leaders
Official Babylon 5 quote gear from JMS
Elenopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th 07, 16:33   #29
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

They'll have Kreacher for that particular gloss: the "R.A.B." will be in film 6, and then Kreacher can explain it in film 7. I hear that they almost wrote Kreacher out of the last one, and Rowling said, "Well, you can do that, but you'll be in deep trouble when you try to make the last one."

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 07, 16:58   #30
Jonny_Fever
Ambassador

I finished the book this morning and I liked it. Of course with all the hype going on I was assuming one of the main 3 would die but it turned out to be Fred instead. Some parts were slow and kind of boring and I found myself wondering about the other characters, but half way through it got better for me.

As I read it, I also kept trying to picture how they would do this one as a film. They have left out so much from the previous films they are either going to have to cut more stuff out and explain it really quickly ( like the scene in OoTP when Neville is looking at the picture of the original order and mentions that Bellatrix had done something horrible to his parents, where in the book Harry discovers this as he is going through the hospital) or figure something else out.

Ok Ok I'll admit it, I'm a sap. I was saddened when Dobby died. He was finally a free house elf and he rescues everyone from the basement only to be stabbed in the chest.

The epilogue was cheesy and everyone hooked up that I figured would be together but I wanted to know more about the fall out of the war they had. All the old Death Eaters still running around, repairing their world and so on. But I suppose that could be an entirely different book.

Is the fanfic any good? I've never read any. JKR says she will never write any more HP but perhaps some day if publishers dangle more cash in her face she just might do it again.
Jonny_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote