• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Robin Hood

crazyhorse

Anarchist
Anybody else see the new BBC series last night and feel disapointed?The action looked like a cheap cross between the Matrix and The Lord of the Rings.The story telling was so dumbed down that it was just annoying.What story there was that is.As for squashing budgies in your hand to signify what a totally evil person you are give me a break.Don't think I'll bother again.

I've seen some reviews say that apparently it'll get better by the next episode, so I think I'll give it another try... wasn't too horrid as light entertainment goes, just highly unoriginal and very simple, yeah. And I was not keen at all on the action bits - should have left it to straight action, I felt, instead of trying to go after some "cool" effects there (which just came off cheapish, not very convincing and not very cool either).

Jonas Armstrong was actually better as Robin than I'd feared after hearing of the casting and seeing pics (not that I'd ever heard of him until then). The Sheriff's a bit... hm.. way too comic book evil, and not very menacing at that.

I suspect I'm not really the target group for this kind of show though, so I don't think I'll want to condemn it too much at this stage - for all I know, the 6-10 year olds in the audience might have thought it was way cool.

Am I the only one that thinks Robin looks too young to have been away for five years? Was he a lord when he was a teenager?

Too much make up on the ladies.

They at least try and expalin why Robin is carrying a modern recurve bow. Still doesn't sit well with me. Why should a good crusader be using a weapon of the enemy? Give him back the long bow, it looks much better.

The only other thing that got me, was that they went too far with Robin saving the day. Cutting a couple of ropes with arrows I can believe, but two at once? :rolleyes: Then he accurately throws a very heavy sword I don't know how many feet to knock two guards. :eek:

Apart from that, it will pass the time on Saturday nights.

"Maid Marion and her Merry Men" was better.

Seemed a bit too Hercules and Xena for my tastes. It was ok but nothing to write home about.

I was too young to watch and remember it properly but Robin of Sherwood left a greater impression on me.

I liked Marion and her Merry Men too! I had a bit of a schoolboy crush on the lass who played her!

Am I the only one that thinks Robin looks too young to have been away for five years? Was he a lord when he was a teenager?
No, you're not the only one. Then again, I guess he could have left home as a lad of 17-18 and returned now at 22-23 (I have no idea how old Jonas Armstrong is, but he looks quite early 20s) - and as no mention was made of this, I assume that in this version his parents might have passed away just before he left, or something like that.

So he does seem very young but I guess that's not really impossible. What was worse for me is that he's too young really to feel commanding enough (or having enough "gravitas"). Or not feeling war-weary enough, or something.

Too much make up on the ladies.
Oh yeah, especially that first girl (Sarah? the one that came on to Robin). That seemed just way out of place.

I have no idea how old Jonas Armstrong is, but he looks quite early 20s

I found a site that says he is 25. He still looks too young though.

I grew a beard at age 25 because I was fed up of being asked to prove I was over 18 in the pub. I am somewhat older now and still have the beard but, somehow, doubt that I would have the same problem if I shaved it off.

And with the joys of hereditary peerages, he could have been a Lord at age 3 if that is when his Father passed away.

Didn't watch it myself ... just not interested, but the wife did (having studied the Robin Hood legends at University last year she wanted to see what they had done with the stories). She enjoyed it as a piece of mindless Saturday evening television, but no substitute for Doctor Who.

I enjoyed it, but in a Hercules / Xena kind of way, not in a serious TV or even a Dr Who kind of way. As for Hood, he was young, but did a good job IMHO.

Lucy Griffiths who played Marian was a nice posh bird to gaze at, which helped it out a bit.

I for one enjoyed the medival gloss effect foundation those maidens were sporting. I was also wondering where they got those medival push up bras from, but anyhow...

So it was probably great if you were drunk, but not a patch on the 80's series I only dimly remember from my childhood.

... but not a patch on the 80's series I only dimly remember from my childhood.

My wife said much the same ... but I have a strong feeling that had to do with the presence of Michael Praed onscreen.

:D

I don't remember much from the other Robin Hood except loving Nasir's twin scimitars, Hern the Hunter and kinda preferring the blond Robin over the first guy.

DL'd the new one ... eh. Kinda fun, kinda dumb.

yosh, indeedsh, Shean Connery himshelf alsho playshed the 'English' King in the woeful Costhner flick.

(Hmm, typing in a Connery style is more difficult than it seems...)

I think the guy playing the Sheriff in this new film is totally channeling Alan Rickman's Nottingham in that movie.

I haven't seen this series - it hasn't reached NZ yet - if it ever will. But can someone answer a question for me. Is the actress playing Marian a redhead? Every TV adaptation/movie I have seen, Marian has been a redhead. Is this deliberate, or just one of those odd coincidences?

Nope not a redhead, but she is rather cute!!

marian.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/robinhood/characters/marian.shtml

Well, curtains at least, could'nt say for carpets! ;)

(Ducks for cover and runs to NC17...)

yosh, indeedsh, Shean Connery himshelf alsho playshed the 'English' King in the woeful Costhner flick.

(Hmm, typing in a Connery style is more difficult than it seems...)

I think the guy playing the Sheriff in this new film is totally channeling Alan Rickman's Nottingham in that movie.

Yoshh and Connery senior also played a rather ill fated Robin inj a 70's flick.

Someone said that the actor playing Robin Hood looked too young.

Until reasonably recent times, young people - especially young people of the nobility often shouldered their adult responsibilities young.

Ie, Catherine Howard, Henry VIII's fifth wife was only 15 when she married and him, and only just 16 when he had her executed. And of course, there was Lady Jane Grey, 16 when she was executed.

Okay, these two women/girls were probably little more than pawns in political power games, and had little real power of their own.

During the War of the Roses, the leader of the Yorkist side, Richard Plantagenet, was killed in battle [and had his head displayed on York Gate], and his oldest son, Edward took over leading the Yorkist armies. He was still in his teens. In less than a year, he had taken power,and was crowned as Edward IV. Admittidly, he had experiences advisors such as the Earl of Warwick [known as the 'Kingmaker']. But still, Edward was already an experienced soldier and leader who had done more than his share of fighting and commanding armies.
Some years later, the Earl of Warwick, who had helped put Edward on the throne turned against [probably because while he was negoitiating a good royal marriage for Edward, Edward went and secretly married a woman of comparatively humble birth. It led to Warwick's international humiliation, and after that, he was not a happy Yorkist] So, he went over to Lancaster. The upshot of it was that the Lancaster armies attacked England, and Edward had to go into exile in Burgundy
But within a few months, Edward had managed to retake his throne. At his side, and commanding a lot of his troops was his younger brother Richard, Duke of Gloucester. Richard was barely 20, but like his older brother, an able soldier and leader.
Richard was later to go on to become the infamous Richard III. Whether he was guilty of all that he was accused of is another matter, and one that will probably be discussed until the sun explodes.

Downloaded the second episode ... won't be watching anymore. It wasn't especially bad, but it's not that good or entertaining either. Much is a little too much for me, and none of the other characters are interesting enough to warrant sticking around.

Well I watched a bit of episode 2 and wont bother again.The fight scene at the end was a farce.It is not like the BBC to cock things up like this but they have done it bigtime here.What really annoys me though is Torchwood being relegated to BBC3(which I don't get)while this rubbish is broadcast primetime on a Sataurday evening.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back