B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old January 12th 20, 17:02   #1
CmdrShep2154
Lurker

If Warner Bros brought back B5 should it be reimagining or a continuation?

What would be the best? What would the Minbari and Centauri be like 100 years after B5 ended? How would you react to an Centauri Republic 100 years future that is like 90s America and Britain?
CmdrShep2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 20, 03:13   #2
KoshN

Re: If Warner Bros brought back B5 should it be reimagining or a continuation?

They should continue and finish the storyline of Crusade. However, they NEVER will.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 20, 04:14   #3
Kraig
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
What would be the best? What would the Minbari and Centauri be like 100 years after B5 ended? How would you react to an Centauri Republic 100 years future that is like 90s America and Britain?

When B5 first aired, each year in the 1990s matched the 2250-2260s.

Have the events in the B5 universe starting in the 2280-2290s. It has been 30 years since the original show, have events in the B5 universe starting 30 years after the original show.

You could cover what changes have occurred using flash backs or prequels.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” — H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No."
-- Craig T. Nelson
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th 20, 14:55   #4
Looney
Telepath

I don't know why Crusade can't be finished as a book or series of books or comic book or something.

And I have very little desire to see any reboot in the distant future when there is soooo much that could be told in the twenty year span we have. You could have an entire TV series with Babylon 5 as a set piece where not one of the original cast shows up. You could do a series that is set on B5 and make it so they just never encounter the main cast. We're talking about a place where thousands of humans and aliens lived. The story we saw only revolved around those in leadership. You could do an entire series about people who just lived there and lived through the events, even security personnel who didn't directly deal with Zack or Garibaldi. You could do a series about people who don't live there and just visit frequently. Or about people who live there, but their work takes them elsewhere, and so on and so on. There are soooo many possibilities and not all of them have to involve the original cast.

BUT DON'T GET ME WRONG - I DEFINITELY WANT SOMETHING INVOLVING THE ORIGINAL CAST IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th 20, 01:28   #5
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
I don't know why Crusade can't be finished as a book or series of books or comic book or something.
The usual reason: money. WB charges a lot for a license, if they even allow them. A publisher would have to front the money for the license and for a writer, preferably with substantial input from JMS which would entaill consulting fees. Looking at the B5 books before, they simply didn't sell well. Whatever the reason for that, and lack of marketing was certainly part of it, there's really almost no chance that a publisher would front that kind of money for a failed, long off-the-air property.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th 20, 02:33   #6
Looney
Telepath

Oh I totally meant written by JMS. I assume he would want to finish his own story. I mean he knows the end and just needs the vehicle to share it.
Old January 17th 20, 11:46   #7
KoshN

Quote:

And I have very little desire to see any reboot in the distant future when there is soooo much that could be told in the twenty year span we have. You could have an entire TV series with Babylon 5 as a set piece where not one of the original cast shows up. You could do a series that is set on B5 and make it so they just never encounter the main cast. We're talking about a place where thousands of humans and aliens lived. The story we saw only revolved around those in leadership. You could do an entire series about people who just lived there and lived through the events, even security personnel who didn't directly deal with Zack or Garibaldi. You could do a series about people who don't live there and just visit frequently. Or about people who live there, but their work takes them elsewhere, and so on and so on. There are soooo many possibilities and not all of them have to involve the original cast.

BUT DON'T GET ME WRONG - I DEFINITELY WANT SOMETHING INVOLVING THE ORIGINAL CAST IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.
The Crusade storyline will not continue in book (novel) or comic book form because JMS refuses to do it that way. For JMS, it has to be in TV or movie form (audio-visual storytelling), or not at all. So, that's what we get, nothing, no continuation of the Crusade storyline beyond what we already got in the Legions of Fire and Technomage trilogies. It'll just be left hanging.

I couldn't care less about a reboot or reimagining.

Don't get me wrong. Nothing would make me happier than getting the Crusade storyline continued in a series of novels AND getting them and Book #7, Book #9, the three trilogies and the six short stories in Kindle form, but that's never going to happen. We just have to be happy with what we have.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
Old January 17th 20, 16:17   #8
Looney
Telepath

I WOULD LOVE IT IF WE COULD JUST GET AN AUDIO DRAMA CONCLUSION FOR CRUSADE. Maybe Gary Cole would do it on the cheap and JMS could write Daniel Dae Kim out by giving Matheson a transfer or something. I say that about Kim because he seems like he might command the most money to do it. I could see Cole doing it for less.
Old Yesterday, 02:40   #9
KoshN

Quote:
I WOULD LOVE IT IF WE COULD JUST GET AN AUDIO DRAMA CONCLUSION FOR CRUSADE. Maybe Gary Cole would do it on the cheap and JMS could write Daniel Dae Kim out by giving Matheson a transfer or something. I say that about Kim because he seems like he might command the most money to do it. I could see Cole doing it for less.
Audio drama? Interesting idea. Maybe distribute it via iTunes and audiobooks. Gary Cole could do like an audiobook narration.
Old Yesterday, 13:46   #10
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Ghods, I hate being the wet blanket so often... I've had it from two very reliable sources that Big Finish, who are known for doing excellent audio dramas, has approached WB for a license and been turned down. I don't know any details other than that but it doesn't look promising from that angle.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote