• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Battlestar Galactica Season 1 DVD Box Set

It's the first that I've heard of it.

If they were smart they would have had it on the shelves in time for people to buy it to catch up before S2 hit the air. The season premiere was last week. So the DVD release ought to have been 2 - 4 weeks ago.

Now that they've blown that one, more people will be willing to wait for the better price points of the "wide" release.

At least, that's my guess.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3621

Best Buy has just dropped the price on the Battlestar Galactica season 1 set coming on July 26. The set was posted with a $69.99 price, which has now been lowered to $49.99. I'm sure fans will be much happier with the corrected price.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3632

Best Buy has posted artwork for the first season of Battlestar Galactica to their site. Though it's small (probably the smallest art we've ever posted) it's also clear that they're using the R2 artwork, minus the UK rating in the lower-left corner. Don't forget that this is a Best Buy exclusive release, at least until September.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3641

Best Buy has included a description of the season 1 set on their site:
With the 12 colonies of man virtually destroyed in the climax of a hundred-year war with the Cylon Empire, President Roslin (Mary McDonnell) and Commander Adama (Edward James Olmos) gather up the few humans left on the twelve worlds and embark on a journey to find the mythical planet Earth, the supposed thirteenth colony of mankind, not realizing that the Cylon robot is no longer a recognizable enemy... it can move among man. Edgier and racier than its predecessor, Battlestar Galactica is a complete re-imagining of the 1970s series - upping the ante on the action, adventure, and drama that made the original so popular. Battlestar Galactica Season One is the season aired on SkyOne in the UK featuring a different opening than the United States. Previously only available on DVD in the UK, this four disc set includes all 13 episodes plus deleted scenes. These DVDs have been formatted to be compatible with most North American DVD players.

Last Suday's New York Times Magazine had an article about Ron Moore, fomer Trek writer who is doing BSG now. Excellent reading. It outlnes the history of the movement to revive BSG lead by the actor that played Apollo in the original series.

Moore said that if you take the first 3 hours of the original BSG, it's earnest and was genuinely trying to be about something until it derailed. So he wanted to keep that element and do his own thing. He was attacked by BSG fans for his vision but stuck to it. And though Hatch (original Apollo) was against it at first (he wanted a series where he was in it and it was a continuation of the original), he gained a lot of respect for Moore when he attended a convention, presented clips from the new show and took verbal abuse from fanboys. Hatch originally turned down a recurring role on the show but later accepted one.

No I still haven't seen the show but I will rent it and I'm more interested now after reading all this.

Does anybody have an idea if there will be any commentaries in the US release? I think there are none on the UK version, which is the reason I haven't bought it yet. I think the RC1 version of the miniseries has a dvd commentary but the R2 version doesn't (or at least not the one I have).

Here's more news, and an added complication.

General Release for Season 1 Announced: Has 1 More DVD than Best Buy's Version. - 6:27 AM 7/20/2005 Universal has announced the general retail DVD release of the first season of "Battlestar Galactica" (2004 version). It's a noticably different release than the "Best Buy exclusive" version, including different cover art and an extra disc. There are lots of extras, too! Find out more in the TVShowsOnDVD News.

I guess they (Universal) want some people to buy both. :rolleyes:

Dammit, now I don't know what to buy. I already have the mini-series, but clearly this later version of S. 1 has more goodies.
AARGH.

Jendia

Yeah, I thought she was cute too... but I kept schtum, just in case you'd done something like put a photo of your significant other up instead LOL! :eek:

I was trying to be polite. ;)

Yeah, I thought she was cute too... but I kept schtum, just in case you'd done something like put a photo of your significant other up instead LOL! :eek:

I was trying to be polite. ;)

No, that would be a bit creepy, but I am pleased to say there some degree of resemblence to my lovely better half.... Still, glad she is making you all happy..

Holy shit!! we derailed the thread!

Quick guys, back on topic... so, BSGS2E2 (got that?, good!) I downloaded it last night, very good indeed. I only hope they can keep the momentum up. I love how Tigh is always just about to crack, but never quite gets there, and that the fact that everyone hates him just seems to make him better at his job. I need that life skill.

Back